Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 224
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    So my laptop died, going to replace with Alienware M17-X

    Yesterday my Dell laptop finally gave out. Pretty bad timing considering the Endras contest but maybe it was a sign. Was a great notebook, Dell XPS M1530. 1920x1080 screen, pretty powerful and great battery life.

    Basically the hard drive gave out and I could replace it but... it's an excuse to upgrade to some brand new hardware. Alienware just launched their new M17X and damn it I want it:

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge


    I decided to go with the black one with the 17 inch 1980x1080 screen without the 3d. Unless anyone can convince me I should opt for the 3d here is the configuration I am going to order:

    Click here to enlarge


    Thoughts? This is going to be one hell of a badass PC.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Here is a vid to get an idea:


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Here it is running Crysis 2 on high settings, watch in HD:


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    $#@! that is a badass laptop, i7 core and 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, solid state hard drive and 2 gigs of video $#@!.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,239
    Rep Points
    6,789.6
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    That is quite impressive for a laptop.
    I just installed my new videocard thursday, and that was only a 6950 with 2Gb.
    This laptop has a 6970...
    Battery life will not be what you were used to though.
    Will probably cost a bundle...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    $#@! that is a badass laptop, i7 core and 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, solid state hard drive and 2 gigs of video $#@!.
    Yep, 16 gigs of ram is what I am looking forward to.

    Not to mention the SSD...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    That is quite impressive for a laptop.
    I just installed my new videocard thursday, and that was only a 6950 with 2Gb.
    This laptop has a 6970...
    Battery life will not be what you were used to though.
    Will probably cost a bundle...
    I was disappointed they didn't have any SLI setups for it but I'm guessing that videocard should be able to handle whatever I throw at it.

    Couldn't decide between the i7 2720QM at 2.2 ghz or the i7 2820QM at 2.3.

    Is the extra 100 mhz really worth $200 more?

    Battery life isn't a big deal for me, I use it more as a mobile workstation and it is always plugged in.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    $#@! that is a badass laptop, i7 core and 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, solid state hard drive and 2 gigs of video $#@!.
    Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to dual SSD's running in RAID 0?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,239
    Rep Points
    6,789.6
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Nope, you will not ever notice the difference.
    Unless you time converting videos or zipping really large files.
    And even then it differs just seconds.
    For gameplay this will do nicely.
    For work it is highly overconfigured Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    BAD ASS! what did it run you ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    WAIT! Don't order this! I've been with alienware for almost 3-4 years and their laptops + customer support is utter crap.

    I'll give you the whole story:

    Freshman year: Order a $4k laptop with the $600 rebate so it came out to $3400 - stupid of me since I could've bought a laptop and a nice desktop.

    Within 1 month, the mobo went bad, they wouldn't refund me my money, insisted I send it in for repairs. I had to wait 1 month for repairs without a laptop on a BRAND NEW 1 month old laptop. Fast forward to 3 months down the line, HDD fails and they won't just send me a new HDD. I had to send it in, no worries, I get it back in 2weeks - not too bad but lost a bunch of data.

    2 months later, the GPU dies and I'm pissed off as hell, 3 times in 1 year?? So I complain for about a week to them and they finally give in and let me trade in for a different laptop for how much I originally paid since it was only within a year, normally they do it via specs.

    Traded in my M7700 for M9700 - thought it was just a rare occurrence...bought the new laptop no worries, 6 months into it the hdd fails again, thought - no worries, it'll be 2 weeks...they take a DAMN month! Super pissed but not worried...1 1/2 years after owning the 2nd laptop, the motherboard dies and the battery life is abysmal ..like 5mins on full battery. (but that is expected in large gaming laptops)

    Sadly batteries are covered for only 30 days....again I send it in....terrible customer service, they tell me one thing to another, until I spoke to a manager.

    I had got my laptop in 2005, 2006 I got the replacement, 2008 I got 3rd replacement. I sold it as soon as I got it for ~2k.

    Terrible company, terrible reliability. Dell Customer service is even worse (since they are owned by dell now).

    My advice: Get a nice tablet PC and build yourself a gaming desktop....but if you really want a 17 inch laptop...don't go with alienware...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Also: Battery life will always be horrible, these things weigh alot...bulky, generate ALOT of heat, but if you don't mind...I guess go for it?

    p.s. I have a gaming desktop and a Fujitsu tablet PC (T5010) - best choice since I love using the stylus/taking notes in class and I can game when I get home...

    The new tablets from Fujitsu run i7s but lack in the video department...can't run any high graphics games...like crysis or anything...but they have multitouch screens Click here to enlarge light weight and uber battery life.

    My current tablet has a modular battery bay and gets 7 hours of battery with normal browsing on medium brightness.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Nope, you will not ever notice the difference.
    Unless you time converting videos or zipping really large files.
    And even then it differs just seconds.
    For gameplay this will do nicely.
    For work it is highly overconfigured Click here to enlarge
    I thought my XPS 1530 was overconfigured but I found myself taxing it pretty well with multiple browsers open, photo editor, video editor, itunes, twitter client, mail client, and FTP client all running simultaneously. I'm looking forward to the 16 gigs of ram and 64 bit OS. Oh.. and the SSD.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Also: Battery life will always be horrible, these things weigh alot...bulky, generate ALOT of heat, but if you don't mind...I guess go for it?
    Actually battery life isn't all too bad if you read the reviews they have gotten up to 5 hours.

    It's actually lighter and puts out less heat than the previous model. They really raised the bar with this one and there isn't really anything better on the high end. Consider this more of a desktop replacement than a notebook.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    SSD makes a world of a difference, don't have one yet, but built a rig for a friend. The Motherboard was the only thing slowing the computer down Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Actually battery life isn't all too bad if you read the reviews they have gotten up to 5 hours.

    It's actually lighter and puts out less height than the previous model. They really raised the bar with this one and there isn't really anything better on the high end. Consider this more of a desktop replacement than a notebook.
    That's pretty good - 5 hours? How about when you're fully gaming, how many hours then? I guess they changed somethings...but I can't justify the price for them Click here to enlarge

    HP has laptops too, (voodoo gaming)but again over priced.

    They have their M11X for ~600, that would probably be the only thing i'd get.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    WAIT! Don't order this! I've been with alienware for almost 3-4 years and their laptops + customer support is utter crap.

    I'll give you the whole story:

    Freshman year: Order a $4k laptop with the $600 rebate so it came out to $3400 - stupid of me since I could've bought a laptop and a nice desktop.

    Within 1 month, the mobo went bad, they wouldn't refund me my money, insisted I send it in for repairs. I had to wait 1 month for repairs without a laptop on a BRAND NEW 1 month old laptop. Fast forward to 3 months down the line, HDD fails and they won't just send me a new HDD. I had to send it in, no worries, I get it back in 2weeks - not too bad but lost a bunch of data.

    2 months later, the GPU dies and I'm pissed off as hell, 3 times in 1 year?? So I complain for about a week to them and they finally give in and let me trade in for a different laptop for how much I originally paid since it was only within a year, normally they do it via specs.

    Traded in my M7700 for M9700 - thought it was just a rare occurrence...bought the new laptop no worries, 6 months into it the hdd fails again, thought - no worries, it'll be 2 weeks...they take a DAMN month! Super pissed but not worried...1 1/2 years after owning the 2nd laptop, the motherboard dies and the battery life is abysmal ..like 5mins on full battery. (but that is expected in large gaming laptops)

    Sadly batteries are covered for only 30 days....again I send it in....terrible customer service, they tell me one thing to another, until I spoke to a manager.

    I had got my laptop in 2005, 2006 I got the replacement, 2008 I got 3rd replacement. I sold it as soon as I got it for ~2k.

    Terrible company, terrible reliability. Dell Customer service is even worse (since they are owned by dell now).

    My advice: Get a nice tablet PC and build yourself a gaming desktop....but if you really want a 17 inch laptop...don't go with alienware...
    I'm not into tablets, I need a nice keyboard and I need a computer with some horsepower.

    I am not into gaming like I used to be and I prefer the portability of a laptop over a desktop. I can have my laptop in the living room, then bedroom, then bathroom, whatever. You may have noticed, but I tend to be on the site a bit and it is necessary for me to have flexibility. A desktop just doesn't offer it. It is nice to be able to have my workstation with me wherever I am.

    I had a bad experience with Alienware as well similar to yours but it was before they were taken over by Dell. I'm hoping they have improved but we will see. There really is no better laptop on the market as of right now. Maybe Origin but theirs is even more overpriced and the design isn't as slick.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    That's pretty good - 5 hours? How about when you're fully gaming, how many hours then? I guess they changed somethings...but I can't justify the price for them Click here to enlarge

    HP has laptops too, (voodoo gaming)but again over priced.

    They have their M11X for ~600, that would probably be the only thing i'd get.
    The juice won't last long when fully gaming on high settings. If doing something that draining it is best to have it plugged in. It really isn't possible to have big power and good battery life. When gaming, plug it in.

    Voodoo is pretty much dead as I understand it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    BAD ASS! what did it run you ?
    It starts at $1500 and can go up to around $6k from there depending on options.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

    comes w/ a keyboard.

    p.s. my experience was before and after, but you're welcomed to take the plunge - hope everything works out!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,080
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    http://en.community.dell.com/owners-...e/default.aspx

    I think this is the new alienware forums...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,239
    Rep Points
    6,789.6
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Best of both worls is a badass desktop, and a simple laptop with a big screen on which you can work with remote desktop.
    That way you have all the performance you will ever need, and battery life to go with that.
    Will be a lot cheaper as well.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Best of both worls is a badass desktop, and a simple laptop with a big screen on which you can work with remote desktop.
    That way you have all the performance you will ever need, and battery life to go with that.
    Will be a lot cheaper as well.
    Eh, I consider this the best of both worlds. I simply want a badass laptop. I don't really have the need for a desktop any longer and don't need to take up the space.

    Back in the day, it was only desktops for me. But now, since I am no longer obsessed with gaming, convenience and speed are the main factors for me. Plus, let's be honest, this thing will $#@! slap 99.9% of desktops out there.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,844.3
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Anyone think the 3D screen would be worth it?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    I love LA.
    Posts
    123
    Rep Points
    177.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    that is a bad ass labtop.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •