Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    2 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    ICS Performance M Coupe Twin Turbo 700whp+

    For however small Connecticut is as a state, we have a ton of performance shops and dynos, probably more per capita than any other state haha!
    Click here to enlarge

    That being said, I always like to promote the locals, especially if they build badass cars. Here is one of George's at ICS projects, sounds tough.
    Click here to enlarge







    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Interesting that ICS chose to use two smaller Garrett GTs vs. the single larger turbo used in the other M Coupe build. I believe they are two GT28RSs, but I may be mistaken.

    I imagine the spool time of those two smaller turbos is minimal, and since they're likely rigged to run parallel, the boost probably hits hard!

    I am curious about the exhaust manifold design, however, not so much in the runners but more in the positioning of the compressor outlets/routing of the charge piping.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,895
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    again nice find, i think with the twin set up, the car should have a better torque curve. it seems though that this car is making more power than the other single mcoupe? better tuning? anyway again, thanks for the thread.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Oh yeah the area beneath the torque curve on this graph should be the size of continental Africa. I mean, even larger single turbo set-ups like the one on the other car should spool pretty quickly on 3.0-liter+ engines, but two small DBB turbos with a properly designed exhaust manifold can produce gobs of torque at low rpm.

    Interesting you mention tuning as a factor, the single car seems to be running a reflashed OE ECU, while I'm not sure what this ICS car is running for EMS. Chances are good, however, that if it is a stand-alone, it's tuned very well, as we have two of the more highly-acclaimed tuners in the world both within 15 miles of my house.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thats some NICE power! Curious though, what was the white smokish discharge coming from the motor on tha last pull?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Encino, CA
    Posts
    1,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ICS and George know what they are doing, amazing numbers!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Thats some NICE power! Curious though, what was the white smokish discharge coming from the motor on tha last pull?
    Probably a toasted headgasket - even a metal multi-layer one would have trouble holding that kind of boost for such prolonged periods of time and stress.
    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    ICS and George know what they are doing, amazing numbers!
    Just wait until Sticky sets up an E36 sub-forum and I go to town with the ICS Killer Bee and CardCounter's 328i!
    :razz:
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,855
    Rep Points
    31,580.7
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turbology Click here to enlarge
    Just wait until Sticky sets up an E36 sub-forum and I go to town with the ICS Killer Bee and CardCounter's 328i!
    :razz:
    I have been going over in my head if there would be enough people to support an S50/S52 section... but if you want it Click here to enlarge

    I could probably throw the various E36 motors together as they are similar, what do you think?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    After owning a slightly modded Z3 M coupe, anyone that drives one of them with this kind of power has big cajones. One of the funnest cars I have owned, but definitely a handfull in the corners.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have been going over in my head if there would be enough people to support an S50/S52 section... but if you want it Click here to enlarge

    I could probably throw the various E36 motors together as they are similar, what do you think?
    Maybe just a single sub-forum that encompasses E30 and E36 drivetrains generally, but we must have some place that I can post some ridiculous S14 and S38 builds.
    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
    After owning a slightly modded Z3 M coupe, anyone that drives one of them with this kind of power has big cajones. One of the funnest cars I have owned, but definitely a handfull in the corners.
    It's all about the E30-era suspension in the rear...super-predictable and razor-sharp at stock power levels...uncaged beast with any mods!
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,855
    Rep Points
    31,580.7
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turbology Click here to enlarge
    Maybe just a single sub-forum that encompasses E30 and E36 drivetrains generally, but we must have some place that I can post some ridiculous S14 and S38 builds.
    Click here to enlarge



    It's all about the E30-era suspension in the rear...super-predictable and razor-sharp at stock power levels...uncaged beast with any mods!
    Click here to enlarge
    Can't you convert these things to E46 style suspension?

    I could make a more general forum for motors that aren't covered dirreclty....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Can't you convert these things to E46 style suspension?
    Now where would the fun be in that?!

    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks like the ICS M Coupe does in fact run on a reflashed factory ECU!

    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,855
    Rep Points
    31,580.7
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turbology Click here to enlarge
    Now where would the fun be in that?!

    Click here to enlarge
    Much less fun Click here to enlarge But just wondering if it is possible or common?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Much less fun Click here to enlarge But just wondering if it is possible or common?
    It seems there are quite a few interchangeable if not identical parts between the E30 M3 and the M Coupe, so that may give you many more options. Here's a pretty good read on that matter:

    http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...arms/index.htm

    As for upgrading to more sophisticated running gear, I honestly don't know.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    207
    Rep Points
    91.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    IMO, George is and has been the man for FI bmw's (mostly the m5X and S5X motors).

    His twin turbo is awesome. He built the motor sometime late last year and we haven't heard much about since he has been working on his OBD2 turbo kits with Nick G. tuning.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    IMO, George is and has been the man for FI bmw's (mostly the m5X and S5X motors).

    His twin turbo is awesome. He built the motor sometime late last year and we haven't heard much about since he has been working on his OBD2 turbo kits with Nick G. tuning.
    He definitely knows his stuff, and between ICS and MaxPsi in NJ, it's safe to say the Tri-State area has Bimmer Boost (pun intended) on lock.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    183
    Rep Points
    6.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    ICS=George Kakaletris=super thief

    Also, the first car to run a GT35R out of ICS was Nick the Greek's (not Nick Glantzis=Technique Tuning) was a 1995 M3 with an e46 M3 rear end.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,855
    Rep Points
    31,580.7
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted325is Click here to enlarge
    ICS=George Kakaletris=super thief

    Also, the first car to run a GT35R out of ICS was Nick the Greek's (not Nick Glantzis=Technique Tuning) was a 1995 M3 with an e46 M3 rear end.
    Super thief? Is that a name he is known by you mean?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    254
    Rep Points
    129.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted325is Click here to enlarge
    ICS=George Kakaletris=super thief

    Also, the first car to run a GT35R out of ICS was Nick the Greek's (not Nick Glantzis=Technique Tuning) was a 1995 M3 with an e46 M3 rear end.
    Yikes! Please fill us in. I don't know George personally, but every time I've visited his shop, he has been respectful, courteous and professional. That's not to say he's the same behind closed doors. I do know that he and his brother Jimmy (who owns The Shop in Norwalk) had some bad blood, so tell us your experience.
    Click here to enlarge
    Boost Is Better
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Points
    4.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well, he is born of gerbil blood.

    Be careful.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    176
    Rep Points
    36.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Super thief? Is that a name he is known by you mean?
    It means he is nice to people on forums and when you don't need much done. Go there for a dyno, he helps you out. Need some pistons, he sends them free of charge (Its not like george is going to do anything with stock S52 pistons. They are worth ~100 bucks if you are lucky.) and little things like that.

    He builds up enough rep to get people with real money to send their cars there, and then they pick up the car, and the bill is astronomical, or it doesn't run right, or a combo of the two.

    I sure as hell wouldn't bring my car there.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,855
    Rep Points
    31,580.7
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    It means he is nice to people on forums and when you don't need much done. Go there for a dyno, he helps you out. Need some pistons, he sends them free of charge (Its not like george is going to do anything with stock S52 pistons. They are worth ~100 bucks if you are lucky.) and little things like that.

    He builds up enough rep to get people with real money to send their cars there, and then they pick up the car, and the bill is astronomical, or it doesn't run right, or a combo of the two.

    I sure as hell wouldn't bring my car there.
    Wow... ok, I'm a bit shocked. I have heard only good stories about ICS.

    Is there any support for what you are saying? Not trying to say you don't know what you are talking about but want to learn a bit for myself. Seems you are advocating definitively using other shops for S50/S52 work.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    176
    Rep Points
    36.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    4 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wow... ok, I'm a bit shocked. I have heard only good stories about ICS.

    Is there any support for what you are saying? Not trying to say you don't know what you are talking about but want to learn a bit for myself. Seems you are advocating definitively using other shops for S50/S52 work.
    Sure, this thread on bimmerforums: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1312857

    There are a good number of people from the tristate area that were taken advantage of by George/ICS. They used to post here and there and go at George on bf.c, but bf.c just puts everyone in timeout and eventually bans you if you go at the forum sponsors. Hardly any of the old crew posts anymore, but I have been around boosted bimmers since 04ish, and know a lot of people in the know and who have had bad experiences. George doesn't do everyone bad. But he certainly has taken advantage of numerous people who have spent A LOT of money at ICS.

    You will notice many of the people who sing praise for George are those who know him only via the forum, or who he hooked up with some spare parts for cheap, or who DYI their car and live in CT and go the shop and he hooks up with some extra dyno time, but they don't pay him labor rates. Crap like that. Stuff that makes him seem like a great guy to everyone and gets them talking on the forums and gets him a good rep. But watch when a big BMW build comes along and it went to ICS... a 30k+ build. You will notice its sorta weird how those guys aren't saying as many great things about George and ICS. It is a lot quieter. It was much more prevalent back in 2004 and before. When not as many people worked on M50 based engines, and everyone thought they would blow up with anything bigger than a 20g and 400whp. Back then a gt35r built motor combo was 30k+. Everyone was going to ICS in 2003-2006. People spent a lot of money at ICS because they were one of the first shops really into boosted bimmers. And those guys spending the money were never saying anything great about ICS on bimmerforums. I always thought it was weird. Eventually I became friends with some of them, and got the real stories.

    Kev runs bf.c with an iron fist. It is a support vendors or hit the road mentality. Not that much noise is made on the forums.

    Hopefully this forum is promoting a free exchange of words. My assumption coming here is it was started by people who are already successful in life and aren't living off the forum sponsors. Lets see how it goes.
    Last edited by tron; 04-11-2010 at 09:13 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,855
    Rep Points
    31,580.7
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tron Click here to enlarge
    Sure, this thread on bimmerforums: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1312857

    There are a good number of people from the tristate area that were taken advantage of by George/ICS. They used to post here and there and go at George on bf.c, but bf.c just puts everyone in timeout and eventually bans you if you go at the forum sponsors. Hardly any of the old crew posts anymore, but I have been around boosted bimmers since 04ish, and know a lot of people in the know and who have had bad experiences. George doesn't do everyone bad. But he certainly has taken advantage of numerous people who have spent A LOT of money at ICS.

    You will notice many of the people who sing praise for George are those who know him only via the forum, or who he hooked up with some spare parts for cheap, or who DYI their car and live in CT and go the shop and he hooks up with some extra dyno time, but they don't pay him labor rates. Crap like that. Stuff that makes him seem like a great guy to everyone and gets them talking on the forums and gets him a good rep. But watch when a big BMW build comes along and it went to ICS... a 30k+ build. You will notice its sorta weird how those guys aren't saying as many great things about George and ICS. It is a lot quieter. It was much more prevalent back in 2004 and before. When not as many people worked on M50 based engines, and everyone thought they would blow up with anything bigger than a 20g and 400whp. Back then a gt35r built motor combo was 30k+. Everyone was going to ICS in 2003-2006. People spent a lot of money at ICS because they were one of the first shops really into boosted bimmers. And those guys spending the money were never saying anything great about ICS on bimmerforums. I always thought it was weird. Eventually I became friends with some of them, and got the real stories.

    Kev runs bf.c with an iron fist. It is a support vendors or hit the road mentality. Not that much noise is made on the forums.

    Hopefully this forum is promoting a free exchange of words. My assumption coming here is it was started by people who are already successful in life and aren't living off the forum sponsors. Lets see how it goes.
    Don't get me started on bf.c policies. They throw you in timeout for a post as simple as "+1 , I agree." You can't do that let alone go after their bread and butter. You post links to someone else or anything out of line and your posts become moderated which essentially makes your account worthless.

    Yes, many of those who praise know him only through the forum and I am in that boat. I have only seen things such as these dyno graphs and had no personal interaction with him or his customers. He is on the other side of the country after all.

    Why didn't the guys say anything about ICS on the forums? Because they were afraid of bimmerforums coming down hard? Kevlar can kiss my ass, I got into it with him way back in 2002 over the way he ran the forum and he of course got rid of me. I absolutely hate how you have to live in fear over there and watch every thing you say namely if a vendor is involved.

    I think if you take a look around here you will see we may be a bit too free in exchanging words at times Click here to enlarge No one here has a desire to milk vendors. We do advocate respect for our vendors who support us but no one is pushing for blind allegiance and worship. If a vendor does you wrong, I know we have the quality of vendors here who will address the issue, not bury it. Another thing, we won't just take anyone who signs over a check. I don't care how much money RMS offers me for example, they will never sponsor this forum, period. This is not a money making venture, we are determined to rectify the state of the BMW boards and be the BMW car guy's message board. No politics, no overblown political correctness, act like you would with your friends in the garage. Feel free to spread the word.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •