Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

At these power levels every degree is about 10whp

"Attempt" was used as I haven't "proven" it does to myself yet. I will say that my timing curves have never been smoother than with DIC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

dzenno, on a stock tune only car runing vp ms 109 what is probably the most boost one could run on these dic maps?

And on 94 octane what is probably the most boost one could run on these dic maps?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Anything I say would be a complete guess...you need to datalog and find out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Those logs look great...let me guess, 15.5-16psi on pump 94 octane?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wish this was on pump,this is on vp ms 109@ 16 psi, Could this be raised?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

From the looks of it, yes, but if you're not running meth and don't have an upgraded FMIC then make sure you get at least 30min cooldowns between the runs...otherwise your FMIC will get heatsoaked...crank it up to 20psi on ms109, but don't go doing 50 back to back pulls as performance will degrade and you will cook the $#@! out of your engine valves

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

dzenno, do you have any pump gas logs that you could post?I was noticing on your set up your max power was at 18psi, what will be your max boost setting be in the future?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by harry Click here to enlarge
    dzenno, do you have any pump gas logs that you could post?I was noticing on your set up your max power was at 18psi, what will be your max boost setting be in the future?
    I've posted a bunch of logs with stock and upgraded turbos over time at e90post...you can search there with my username and typing in datalog

With stock turbos and 94 octane pump only I never ran more than 15psi...autotuning would take this down to 14psi with about 2.5-3deg of timing retard...

With stock turbos and 94 octane + meth I ran 16.5-17psi meth...autotuning didn't reduce boost as timing curves didn't experience dips and there was maybe 0.1deg of retard if any...

With stock turbos, race+meth (only ran this at the 1/4 mile), I'd run 20psi, autotuning off and 0% ignition correction (so no retard)...this was done only because all the octane I could get was run and because I datalogged each of my runs monitoring timing on each run...now that AFR datalogging is available as well I use that along with ignition timing curves to establish safe parameters to run

On upgraded turbos its pretty much the same but I don't think I'll be able to run more than 19psi peak, safely, without more fuel (i.e. upgraded fuel system of some sort)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Once temps get back above maybe 60* ambient, i think we will be ok @ 20psi again, but still at the mercy of adequate methanol bandaid fueling

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Once temps get back above maybe 60* ambient, i think we will be ok @ 20psi again, but still at the mercy of adequate methanol bandaid fueling
    That's true...i've both noticed on my car as well as read online that for approximately every 10F change in ambient temp its like going up or down 1psi...no wonder I couldn't run more than 14psi when I did some night testing in VERY VERY cold temps here in Canada (it was around 8F outside), IATs were at around 20F...

now that ambient temps are at around 30F I can run 15psi on 94 pump with great timing and AFR at around 12 all the way through...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    That's true...i've both noticed on my car as well as read online that for approximately every 10F change in ambient temp its like going up or down 1psi...no wonder I couldn't run more than 14psi when I did some night testing in VERY VERY cold temps here in Canada (it was around 8F outside), IATs were at around 20F...

now that ambient temps are at around 30F I can run 15psi on 94 pump with great timing and AFR at around 12 all the way through...
    i found that out when i was on JB3 and had solid boost for a few runs, and then, for every 10* it dropped, i lost 1psi, but trap speeds remained. much easier to figure out boost now witht he jb4 though Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Does the JB4 still apply a boost decay with IAT? Pretty important...if it just keeps the same boost that you set it could get very dangerous, running say 16psi on pump 94 gas at 50F is like 18psi at 20F, would definitely cause a VERY lean condition and potential catastrophe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Does the JB4 still apply a boost decay with IAT? Pretty important...if it just keeps the same boost that you set it could get very dangerous, running say 16psi on pump 94 gas at 50F is like 18psi at 20F, would definitely cause a VERY lean condition and potential catastrophe
    nope, solid boost all the way through. what you type is what you get, for custom maps. no idea about preset stuff, but not the ambient temps decay (not iat decay btw) i think your referring to, just the usual high end taper

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    nope, solid boost all the way through. what you type is what you get, for custom maps. no idea about preset stuff, but not the ambient temps decay (not iat decay btw) i think your referring to, just the usual high end taper
    I used to think that IAT based boost decay was bad as I didn't know as much as I do today and because keeping boost flat and same always used to represent "a solid" tune before...but NOW seeing my AFRs go to LEAN in really cold ambient temps with the same boost where in 20F warmer weather it was perfect, I think this IAT decay is actually extremely important to have from the safety standpoint...

with the procede IAT decay is actually being applied through CPS offset not boost and that's why I wasn't seeing it on the boost gauge or in the boost logs but then later noticed it in the CPS offset logs with 5deg timing being pulled instead of typical 2.5-3 at 100% ignition correction...i think its still VERY VERY important to have that decay whether you do it through boost or CPS offset

This should probably be a part of another thread as the title of this thread is totally inappropriate

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

but when running meth your IAT isnt going to drop enough really anyway, not as much as non meth on long pulls.

id like to see that log of decay your refering to. I could be wrong, but i dont see how cps offsetting is going to affect the boost control to do the IAT decay?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Running meth at 20F doesn't do anything for cooling the charge as its already cooled with IATs very close to 20-30F as well...you could only pull off more octane but not much with meth

When very low IATs are detected by the procede additional CPS offset is applied instead of reducing boost...same effect on AFRs in the end (either reduce boost or reduce timing) but done differently...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

You will not gain power by adding timing retard obviously but you will prevent timing dropouts which do cost power. Procede attempts to make for an optimum timing curve by adjust this offset run to run.
    The DME already adjusts for the optimum timing curve and does so with no sacrifices.

Hence why if the DME is left alone it makes more power with all the safetyguards in place.

Surprised people don't refer to CPS offsetting as a band-aid.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The DME already adjusts for the optimum timing curve and does so with no sacrifices.

Hence why if the DME is left alone it makes more power with all the safetyguards in place.
    That's one school of thought, yes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Can you expand on this please? I understand the air would be denser at cooler temps but why would it be dangerous when the DME is trying to maintain a targeted AFR? Wouldn't the DME add more fuel to prevent a lean condition?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vertigo Click here to enlarge
    Can you expand on this please? I understand the air would be denser at cooler temps but why would it be dangerous when the DME is trying to maintain a targeted AFR? Wouldn't the DME add more fuel to prevent a lean condition?

This is a very outdated thread. Vishnu has fixed their tune related misfire issues and there is no fuel limit as Cobb showed us. With piggybacks, fueling still proves to be a challenge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    This is a very outdated thread. Vishnu has fixed their tune related misfire issues and there is no fuel limit as Cobb showed us. With piggybacks, fueling still proves to be a challenge.
    Weird. Vertigo joined in Feb. 2011 but this is his first post.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Weird. Vertigo joined in Feb. 2011 but this is his first post.
    Gotta register to lurk remember? 5 thread viewing limit before the nag screen comes up iirc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scott_uw Click here to enlarge
    Gotta register to lurk remember? 5 thread viewing limit before the nag screen comes up iirc.
    Yeah, but why lurk for so long and then revive a thread over a year old?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678