Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Any info on stock N63 turbos?

    I was wondering if anyone had any specs or could tell me what type of turbos are used on the N63 engine. I may want to upgrade or swap them out in the not to distant future and would love to get started on figuring out what options there are. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    There really aren't any turbo upgrade options right now.

    What I'm wondering is why the S63 turbos and manifold could not be used on the N63?

    As far as details on the stock N63 turbos, can't find info on what turbos they are other than being single scroll. I'll see what I can dig up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah I figured that there wouldn't be any upgrade options at the moment. What I'd like to do is get as much info on the stock ones to see if there is some off the shelf turbo that can be made to bolt on to the stock manifold. The S variants would probably work with the S manifold too but that's about 4k for that and while that may indeed be the way to go I want to know as much about this as possible. For 4k I could probably buy two bigger better spoiling turbos than the ones on the s63 and come out ahead.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    What I'd like to do is get as much info on the stock ones to see if there is some off the shelf turbo that can be made to bolt on to the stock manifold.
    Here is someone who seems to have put on larger turbos on the X6 M:




    There hasn't been anything further about this car though. Physically bolting on larger turbos is the easy part, tuning is a whole different issue.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    The S variants would probably work with the S manifold too but that's about 4k for that and while that may indeed be the way to go I want to know as much about this as possible. For 4k I could probably buy two bigger better spoiling turbos than the ones on the s63 and come out ahead.
    I like that you are already thinking ahead so I'll try to find as much info as I can. Most guys aren't willing to mod to this level yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Here are some higher resolution photos of the stock turbos and manifold that may help:

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Those are some pretty badass pictures I hadn't seen before. Nothing seems all that difficult and I should be able to find something that bolts on fairly easily. One thing that caught my eye is a sensor on one of the turbos. Any idea what that may be monitoring? That might complicate things abit. As for the tuning if I can find a set of turbos that work with that manifold and fit within the next two months I may have the tuning solved. A second question, BMW doesn't used forged pistons on these engines do they?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    One thing that caught my eye is a sensor on one of the turbos. Any idea what that may be monitoring?
    No clue. Have you spoken to a tuner?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    second question, BMW doesn't used forged pistons on these engines do they?
    Tough finding info on that as well. Alpina replaces the internals with forged pistons so I would lean toward no based on that. Don't know for sure though, a lot of unanswered questions. I'll try to find out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah I've spoken to a tuner and there should be something new out for the N63's toward the end of June. I'd like to get as much accomplished by then as Mr.Y has told me that if I can get as much done to my engine before we start he'll be able to maximize what I've got. Hopefully by then it'll be full exhaust and CAI and meth and possibly upgraded turbos. I'll look on the real OEM website and others to see if I can find info on that sensor as that may complicate things. I can see it says Garrett on the turbos but can't make out the other stuff(I'm on my iPhone)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I've spoken to a tuner and there should be something new out for the N63's toward the end of June. I'd like to get as much accomplished by then as Mr.Y has told me that if I can get as much done to my engine before we start he'll be able to maximize what I've got.
    Who is that tuner and what will be out?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I'll look on the real OEM website and others to see if I can find info on that sensor as that may complicate things. I can see it says Garrett on the turbos but can't make out the other stuff(I'm on my iPhone)
    RealOEM is a great resource for finding out this type of thing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, got it, OEM N63 turbo is a Garret GT22.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Awesome. As for the tune I've spoken with a company and they agreed to tune my car as part of their efforts to delve into the N63/S63 market but was asked to keep things under wraps until they are ready to make some kind of press release/announcement. No worries though I'll be present and documenting and taking pictures of everything at which point I'll make MY content available on one site only. Awesome find on the turbos thanks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Venice CA
    Posts
    652
    Rep Points
    568.9
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Great pictures sticky. I think this thread has the potential to be great. I love how they mounted the turbos on this engine. It's so convenient!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Not bad, garret GT22 for stock turbos. What is the S63 using?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Not bad, garret GT22 for stock turbos. What is the S63 using?
    Already been trying to find that...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Not bad, garret GT22 for stock turbos. What is the S63 using?
    Aha that is the next logical question. Well I'll have to find out if there's anything drop in(probably not) but looking at the pictures it would seem pretty simple to cut off the V band flange and swap it for something like a T3 with readily available turbos. Next issue is space, although super easy to get too being in the V makes for a tight fit. Would be pretty cool to swap in two gtx28's if they've been released yet.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Oh btw that one site was this one in case it wasn't clear lol.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Aha that is the next logical question. Well I'll have to find out if there's anything drop in(probably not) but looking at the pictures it would seem pretty simple to cut off the V band flange and swap it for something like a T3 with readily available turbos. Next issue is space, although super easy to get too being in the V makes for a tight fit. Would be pretty cool to swap in two gtx28's if they've been released yet.
    From that vid posted it shows two monster turbos can fit in the V.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes and no. Those two monsters are actually way outside the V and from the looks of it they hood might not even close. As you mentioned in the thread where that video was originally posted those types of projects rarely get off the ground. That right there requires fully custom exhaust manifolds, getting rid of the stock air boxes, completely rerouting and remaking the intercooler piping and after all that it still never worked(as evidenced by the lack of follow up) what I'd like is a happy medium where the max required was welding on a different flange to the mani's and possibly tweaking the hot pipes(which would probably still work) not easy by any stretch but doable. The plastic BMW cover probably wouldn't fit(or I'd have to figure a way to adapt it) but we'll see if it's doable.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Yes and no. Those two monsters are actually way outside the V and from the looks of it they hood might not even close. As you mentioned in the thread where that video was originally posted those types of projects rarely get off the ground. That right there requires fully custom exhaust manifolds, getting rid of the stock air boxes, completely rerouting and remaking the intercooler piping and after all that it still never worked(as evidenced by the lack of follow up) what I'd like is a happy medium where the max required was welding on a different flange to the mani's and possibly tweaking the hot pipes(which would probably still work) not easy by any stretch but doable. The plastic BMW cover probably wouldn't fit(or I'd have to figure a way to adapt it) but we'll see if it's doable.
    You are likely correct but some creative work can get some larger turbos in there while maintaining an OEM aspect to it. Obviously that vid is of a project that likely got the shop in over their heads.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,298
    Rep Points
    2,756.9
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Vband clamps on the turbos? I never saw those before....I thought they were one piece with the manifold. If that is the case, then getting a set of larger units to bolt up should not be hard at all, or even getting oversized wheels fit into them. Talk to Robert who makes the RB turbo setup for us N54 people...he might be able to come up wth something.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah they appear to be V band clamps on the turbo's to manifold. Definitely unusual and I spoke to ATP turbos today and he stated that he was well aware of these turbos and that I shouldn't expect an upgrade this year. He did suggest I find out exactly what turbo in the GT22 series this is so that I can see what it's limits may be and if it warrants an upgrade. Good advise since no one has pushed these. However for really high output I doubt they'd be adequate. I'd appreciate any info on how to contact Robert beck. I've bing'd his name along with N54 turbo and get a bunch of threads but no website or phone number.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'd be looking to swap out the turbos not just change the wheels though. It sort of seems like a half measure. I remember seeing an N54 thread with upgraded wheels for 5k! Seems kind of silly to me as for that cash you can get the newest technology turbos that will flow more and last longer(gtx series) maybe I'm missing something though.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Definitely unusual and I spoke to ATP turbos today and he stated that he was well aware of these turbos and that I shouldn't expect an upgrade this year.
    Did he tell you why not? What is the complication preventing an upgrade this year?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I'd appreciate any info on how to contact Robert beck.
    He posts here sometimes, his PM's are disabled as he is a guest vendor but you can leave him a visitor message on his profile: http://www.bimmerboost.com/member.php?1012-Rob-RBTurbo

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,697
    Rep Points
    31,533.2
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I'd be looking to swap out the turbos not just change the wheels though. It sort of seems like a half measure. I remember seeing an N54 thread with upgraded wheels for 5k! Seems kind of silly to me as for that cash you can get the newest technology turbos that will flow more and last longer(gtx series) maybe I'm missing something though.
    It isn't that simple on the N54. There only option really is to mess with the stock housing at the moment.

    If I were you I would look into getting the S63 manifold and turbos and then replacing those wheels. That is where the progress should start.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It isn't that simple on the N54. There only option really is to mess with the stock housing at the moment.

    If I were you I would look into getting the S63 manifold and turbos and then replacing those wheels. That is where the progress should start.
    Maybe that will be the way to go but if you consider it would cost 4k for the manifold and turbos and probably another 1.5k(at least) your looking at 5.5k for turbo upgrades which I know we are talking BMW's but still that is up there. At this point my best bet I think is to go tomorrow to AR designs and take lots of pictures of everything and measure the vband sizes if I can and see where we go from there. Being that this is my first BMW I'm not sure with what quality these engines are built. For the price of these motors on tischer I would have thought everything was forged(he'll that new hyundai turbos got forged pistons) and if the manifold is cast iron I can't weld anything to that. Then I'll have to look at other options. As for the ATP guy and why no upgrades, he said BMW is a small market and the vband on the exhaust mani is smaller than the norm. But honestly I Wouldn't put to much stock into that. Tons of people say something can't be done and I only gotta find one that says it can. Luckily I'm young and dumb!(26) so I don't like being told No. We'll see cause another issue is gonna be seeing if this engine can even take 20psi+ without being opened up. That I'm not willing to do till I finish my RB(of which I keep diverting funds for this new toy!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •