Close

Thread: M62tu pistons

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

M62tu pistons

Does anyone know of any M62tu forged pistons....besides Vac?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VAC doesn't really make their pistons, they have someone make them for them.

It depends what your goals are. You going lower compression with an SC right?

You have a lot of good piston manufacturers to choose from.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I eva got me a tat, dis bee it.^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    If I eva got me a tat, dis bee it.^
    How about suggesting some good forged piston setups for our friend here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Id like to lower a compression a little. The Vac 9.8's look good, but $1500 just for pistons is a lot for me. If I cant find anything else then Ill just go with these, but was hoping to find something in the <$1000 range.

My goal is 500ish whp. just gonna built bottom end up, do some head work, and spin my existing supercharger to about 10-12psi. That should get me there with supporting mods....ie fuel.

SO….I guess Im buying VAC?

Anyone?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Call Rebello Racing in Antioch,California. They are the best know of.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    Call Rebello Racing in Antioch,California. They are the best know of.
    You know what they charge for 9.8 and under compression forged pistons?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You know what they charge for 9.8 and under compression forged pistons?
    Sorry, I do not have authorization to quote prices for them. But, I do now they answer their phones. And they are good people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like Wiseco for forged F/I pistons, so I asked them a month or so ago. The pistons would be custom, so IIRC, the answer was that it would be around $150/piston with pin, rings and locks included. I think it's a good option, but I'm not sure what P2W clearance is appropriate for the alusil bores as opposed to cast iron...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tjabo Click here to enlarge
    I like Wiseco for forged F/I pistons, so I asked them a month or so ago. The pistons would be custom, so IIRC, the answer was that it would be around $150/piston with pin, rings and locks included. I think it's a good option, but I'm not sure what P2W clearance is appropriate for the alusil bores as opposed to cast iron...
    You have been looking at a lot of M62/S62 info, just wondering if that is what you plan on building and what ride you have?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a '97 540i6 that I'm thinking of making into my next project. I'd been thinking of fitting into the fold and running a Vortech, but with a custom setup (because I like tuning myself). But then I was under the car yesterday looking at what I need to put the M5 diff in there, and the sick (meaning socially stigmatizing) rear-mount turbo idea was creeping back in... Eeeeegads!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a '97 540i6 that I'm thinking of making into my next project. I'd been thinking of fitting into the fold and running a Vortech, but with a custom setup (because I like tuning myself). But then I was under the car yesterday looking at what I need to put the M5 diff in there, and the sick (meaning socially stigmatizing) rear-mount turbo idea was creeping back in... Eeeeegads!!!!
    Rear mount turbos rarely work out well at last I haven't seen too many in the BMW world or on M62's.

Sounds like a great car, throw up some pics in the 5 series forum! Feel free to brainstorm for build ideas in the engine section as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I've got a couple of pics to put up from last fall, I'll see if I can dig them out.

Re: the rear-mount turbo setups, it's not something that I would so much want to do, but the packaging up front is really tight with that jigundous motor. There is space to make stuff work with a top-mount up front with judicious use of oval tubing and whatnot, but the whole turbo setup would be kind of packed in, and heat management would be a huge issue. It's really tough either way.

I would do the rear-mount setup for a lark, but for the issue of either building a turbo oil reservoir at the rear of the car, or doing a standard scavenge pump and front-rear-front oil plumbing setup. That part bums me out... A Comp oil-less turbo would be cool other than I don't have one of those sitting on the shelf, and I'd still have to run water lines. Hmmmmm....

We'll see, I have a while before I pull the trigger on this project -- the planning stage could last a good long while at the rate I'm progressing now. LoL...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We'll see, I have a while before I pull the trigger on this project -- the planning stage could last a good long while at the rate I'm progressing now. LoL...
    That is fine, it's fun to talk about that is why we are here.

I think I've got a couple of pics to put up from last fall, I'll see if I can dig them out.
    Please do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You know, while we're talking about F/I pistons for an M62, I'm very interested to know if anyone has any data/factual info on the strength of the cylinder walls in the M62b44 (thicker than the S62), or how the heat conducting properties of the aluminum effects the desired compression ratio? I'm wondering if the aluminum cylinder walls allow for a higher compression ratio like aluminum heads do relative to the old cast iron heads.

I know the guys who do F/I on the S62 feel it's necessary for strength to sleeve the block because the cylinder walls are so thin, but then we don't really learn anything from those applications that is directly applicable to the M62b44.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You know, while we're talking about F/I pistons for an M62, I'm very interested to know if anyone has any data/factual info on the strength of the cylinder walls in the M62b44 (thicker than the S62), or how the heat conducting properties of the aluminum effects the desired compression ratio? I'm wondering if the aluminum cylinder walls allow for a higher compression ratio like aluminum heads do relative to the old cast iron heads.
    I don't think anyone has any actual data on how much stronger the cylinder walls are since the M62/S62 platform does not get too much forced induction attention or data. However, if you were to carry over the reasoning from the M52 vs. S52 block the M62 block should be able to handle more than the S62. Sorry I don't have anything more precise but the M62 should be able to take more.

I know the guys who do F/I on the S62 feel it's necessary for strength to sleeve the block because the cylinder walls are so thin, but then we don't really learn anything from those applications that is directly applicable to the M62b44.
    If going to for a big boost built motor setup it likely makes sense to sleeve both for the S62 it is almost necessary.

the M62 should be much more cost effective especially if you drop the compression with a thicker head gasket although I don't know who has done this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info on the M52 vs. S52 blocks, I'll have to read up on that!

If going to for a big boost built motor setup it likely makes sense to sleeve both
    For sure.

the M62 should be much more cost effective especially if you drop the compression with a thicker head gasket although I don't know who has done this.
    The thick head gasket is something I haven't looked into yet. I've never been a big fan of it, leaving cast pistons in there, etc., especially if I'm gonna be inside the motor anyway. But shoot, it's an option. Especially if you throw in a little water/methanol injection to ward off any possibility of detonation in boost. Would be a simplified setup for a non-high-end medium output project... "Hmmm..." again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The thick head gasket is something I haven't looked into yet. I've never been a big fan of it, leaving cast pistons in there, etc., especially if I'm gonna be inside the motor anyway. But shoot, it's an option. Especially if you throw in a little water/methanol injection to ward off any possibility of detonation in boost. Would be a simplified setup for a non-high-end medium output project... "Hmmm..." again.
    Exactly, it's an option. Might as well find out what the stock internals can take anyway if you are going to build it... plus it is cost effective.