Close

Thread: Rock chip! GRR

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rock chip! GRR

Straight through my 3M hood film, and damaged the paint underneath. Nice little ding to boot!

GRR. Thing must have been a meteor or something, but I didn't feel a thing.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pic .. now I have to get the film removed, remove the dent, fix the paint, and reinstall some new film. Thank feck my office is at a car dealership with a good bodyshop and 3m guys!

Hate seeing my blemish-free car get hurt.

Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I used to go absolutely ape $#@! when stuff like this happened to me with my new cars. I was so uptight about things like this, that I really would lose sleep over that until I was able to get to the PDR guy to get everything fixed. After buying a 335 used with some chips already on the car, I've REALLY lightened up over stuff like this. It sucks that it happens, but it's bound to happen over and over. So, fix it and relax. It's all part of having a car. That is one HELL of a ding though. Were you following Haley's comet? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I used to go absolutely ape $#@! when stuff like this happened to me with my new cars. I was so uptight about things like this, that I really would lose sleep over that until I was able to get to the PDR guy to get everything fixed. After buying a 335 used with some chips already on the car, I've REALLY lightened up over stuff like this. It sucks that it happens, but it's bound to happen over and over. So, fix it and relax. It's all part of having a car. That is one HELL of a ding though. Were you following Haley's comet? Click here to enlarge
    I'm over it now Click here to enlarge Had this happened 12 months ago, I probably would have needed counseling.

Calgary is rock chip capital of the world, and if it were not for the 3m film, my hood would resemble the moon by now. My last car did, that's for sure!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know the feeling. If I end up getting a new car, I'll definitely look into the 3m film!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I checking into it, but the German labor rates where nutty. With the conversion factor I just couldn't justify it. In your opinion though, if (sounds like you did) you can get it put on while the paint is still mint, is the film worth the money?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just goes to show that even with the film you will never be completely protected.

That is a pretty nice sized ding though.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I checking into it, but the German labor rates where nutty. With the conversion factor I just couldn't justify it. In your opinion though, if (sounds like you did) you can get it put on while the paint is still mint, is the film worth the money?
    Having seen first hand what happens to vehicles in this city without the film, I'd recommend it 100%. The film itself is cheap, but you're right, the installation can get very expensive; and not all 3m installers are created equally.

Btw, I actually used to be a certified installer of 3m film (it's a long story - my day job is computer programmer!). If you get it done, ask to see the installers previous work first, many seem to leave excessive stretch marks, which can look ghastly on a black car.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sticky
    Just goes to show that even with the film you will never be completely protected.

That is a pretty nice sized ding though.
    I think it protects about 95% of the time, but, there are always some giant rocks that are ruthless and go will through anything.

You should see my windshield .. car is less than one year old, and looks like it was used as a firing range.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    You should see my windshield .. car is less than one year old, and looks like it was used as a firing range.
    Mine is the same way. This has been attributed to the glass BMW is using, whatever it is, it chips easily.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Mine is the same way. This has been attributed to the glass BMW is using, whatever it is, it chips easily.
    Agreed - BMW glass is horrendous. I'll probably give it another year, and swap it for something a little more durable. I hate having people messing with my car unless it's absolutely necessary ..
    ~