Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why would guys with the US crank want to rev that high anyway? If you know it is an issue at 7500 and up why not keep it around the stock 7000 rpm?
    The guys who are running huge turbos are still climbing in power upwards of 7k, so they keep going. Crazy cammed N/A motors will also make power above 7k. With a higher rev limit you can have more "area under the curve" on a setup with a large turbo, because your curve gets bigger lol. I was suggesting a higher rev limit to the OP because with a centrifugal SC setup you'd continue to climb in boost as RPMs rise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by activ3 Click here to enlarge
    The guys who are running huge turbos are still climbing in power upwards of 7k, so they keep going. Crazy cammed N/A motors will also make power above 7k. With a higher rev limit you can have more "area under the curve" on a setup with a large turbo, because your curve gets bigger lol. I was suggesting a higher rev limit to the OP because with a centrifugal SC setup you'd continue to climb in boost as RPMs rise.
    If the crank can't take it then really they have no option but to get a different crank and rods if they want to rev it out to make more power.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the crank can't take it then really they have no option but to get a different crank and rods if they want to rev it out to make more power
    Agreed. If you don't have the cash needed for the supporting mods to rev it out, 7k is the limit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whatever, everything is ordered. Will see when it arrives overhere. In my current application I've already changed two belts due to the poor quality, actually belt from my kit slipped after two weeks, another was broken and only last one keeps holding...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by borislunov Click here to enlarge
    Whatever, everything is ordered. Will see when it arrives overhere. In my current application I've already changed two belts due to the poor quality, actually belt from my kit slipped after two weeks, another was broken and only last one keeps holding...
    What did you order?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Pulley, intercooller, pistons, gauges, overhaul parts and 2nd engine. For now that's all what I need to start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by borislunov Click here to enlarge
    Pulley, intercooller, pistons, gauges, overhaul parts and 2nd engine. For now that's all what I need to start.
    No rods? Complete 2nd engine huh? Pretty cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No rods, we think that stock M54 crank and rods are strong enough to hold this boost. I bought complete engine with the price of just block, so it's a good deal as for me Click here to enlarge During the engines swap will be upgraded tranny coz I don't want to spend much time for this, so everything has to be done pretty fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

No rods? Complete 2nd engine huh? Pretty cool.
    The M54B30 rods are more robust than the ones Cardcounter made 709rwhp with on his stock 2.8.

The only reason why you would upgrade them is if you were to make a LOT of power, rev them above the US E36M3 engine, or add weight to the piston/pin assembly.

So we're looking at a conservative 700rwhp, above 7200 RPM, or a piston/pin combination that weighs more than 421 grams. Most aftermarket pistons are pretty much identical to the OEM pieces weighing in around 313 grams, so it's mostly up to the wrist pin weight. CP's standard wrist pin that they spec out to 600hp weighs 80 grams, a full 28 grams lighter than the OEM piece.

In contrast, the wrist pins for my race engine weigh a staggering 135 grams each. 55 grams heavier than the CP standard wrist pins, and 27 grams heavier than OEM. They are designed for a completely different type of power though, and obviously require a custom rod solution for the rotating assembly to survive.

OEM rods weighs 602 grams with the bearings, and an Arrow rod weighs 535 grams for the same.

On my street car engine, I'm re-using the OEM rods and running ARP rod bolts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    The M54B30 rods are more robust than the ones Cardcounter made 709rwhp with on his stock 2.8.

The only reason why you would upgrade them is if you were to make a LOT of power, rev them above the US E36M3 engine, or add weight to the piston/pin assembly.

So we're looking at a conservative 700rwhp, above 7200 RPM, or a piston/pin combination that weighs more than 421 grams. Most aftermarket pistons are pretty much identical to the OEM pieces weighing in around 313 grams, so it's mostly up to the wrist pin weight. CP's standard wrist pin that they spec out to 600hp weighs 80 grams, a full 28 grams lighter than the OEM piece.

In contrast, the wrist pins for my race engine weigh a staggering 135 grams each. 55 grams heavier than the CP standard wrist pins, and 27 grams heavier than OEM. They are designed for a completely different type of power though, and obviously require a custom rod solution for the rotating assembly to survive.

OEM rods weighs 602 grams with the bearings, and an Arrow rod weighs 535 grams for the same.

It's good to have you here Click here to enlarge

The OEM rods clearly deserve more respect than I was giving them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's good to have you here Click here to enlarge

The OEM rods clearly deserve more respect than I was giving them.
    Thanks.

While both the M52B28 and M54B30 share a 135mm long rod, the newer one I'm told is a better forging.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

wow , after afew months still your comments amaze me !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    wow , after afew months still your comments amaze me !
    Just sharing info I enjoyed learning about....and I hope others get a chance to use.

It sounds like Boris has a great plan, I look forward to seeing him make some great numbers shortly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just sharing info I enjoyed learning about....and I hope others get a chance to use.

It sounds like Boris has a great plan, I look forward to seeing him make some great numbers shortly.
    Adam, do you know the weight difference between the M54b30 rod and the similar S52B32 rod?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by activ3 Click here to enlarge
    Adam, do you know the weight difference between the M54b30 rod and the similar S52B32 rod?
    Good question and is the M54b30 rod actually stronger?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty sure the S52 rod is lighter, and I remember being told it was stronger as well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12