Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Michael Essa's BMW Z4 Build!

Check out his new Formula D race car, a BMW Z4. His 2010 FD contender, the 350R was not competitive as he expected so it will be seeing another life as a road racer. This short wheel base roadster should prove to be much more competitive than the much bigger and much heavier 3 Series.

The Z4 is getting a BMW M3 inline six, the S54, and also strapping on a Garret GTX turbo.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Moved to Z4.

Any idea who is doing his tuning?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Moved to Z4.

Any idea who is doing his tuning?
    GSR Autosport is putting the car together I didn't find any info on exactly who is doing the tuning.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    GSR Autosport is putting the car together I didn't find any info on exactly who is doing the tuning.
    I believe Apex Speed Tech was involved with their V10 swap although I'm not 100% certain. I'll ask Neel to chime in on this.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Why was this moved to the Z4 section? If anything you should move it to the S64 section...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Why was this moved to the Z4 section? If anything you should move it to the S64 section...
    The S54 section? No, because it is dealing with the overall build of a Z4 which encompasses more than the motor. You can see changes to the body, suspension, chassis, etc which means it is more of an overall build and belongs here and here is shall be.

If the post was solely about the motor and the tuning, different story but it is more than that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The S54 section? No, because it is dealing with the overall build of a Z4 which encompasses more than the motor. You can see changes to the body, suspension, chassis, etc which means it is more of an overall build and belongs here and here is shall be.

If the post was solely about the motor and the tuning, different story but it is more than that.
    No it wasn't solely about the motor I know what I posted I don't need you to explain $#@!. Nobody looks at the Z4 section thats why I posted it under General BMW performance. Buy that thread mirror BS or whatever its called. Maybe it would help...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I am not going to update threads that are not going to be seen by anyone.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

No it wasn't solely about the motor I know what I posted I don't need you to explain $#@!. Nobody looks at the Z4 section thats why I posted it under General BMW performance. Buy that thread mirror BS or whatever its called. Maybe it would help...
    The Z4 section would get more views if it had more content. This is content that belongs in it. Most people find threads based on clicking what's new and everything showing. It will get views.

You asked why it was moved here, so I explained it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

I am not going to update threads that are not going to be seen by anyone.
    No need to overreact, calm down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

No need to overreact, calm down.
    I am not overreacting. Im just trying to help you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

I am not overreacting. Im just trying to help you.
    Appreciated, but please realize builds will go where they belong regardless if the section is popular or not. The title is a Z4 overall build, it belongs here, and more Z content is a good thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FR305,

Why did you not just start with a Z4M that way you would not have to do a transplant or upgrade the other components?

This is not a criticism. I just would like to know you’re though process and some of the tradeoffs since I have never done something like this, but I am leaning in this direction..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shipkiller Click here to enlarge
    FR305,

Why did you not just start with a Z4M that way you would not have to do a transplant or upgrade the other components?

This is not a criticism. I just would like to know you’re though process and some of the tradeoffs since I have never done something like this, but I am leaning in this direction..
    This project wasn't done by FR305, it's a build by Mike Essa (a race car driver and builder). His previous car was a V10 powered E90 335i, aka the 350R.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

More information on the new Z4 and why he retired the E90.

"Hard as F*ck!- Mike Essa's BMW Z4 Drift Monster
    By Mike Kojima

Click here to enlarge

In the 2010 Formula D season, GSR Autosport/Nitto Tires driver Mike Essa grabbed plenty of Media attention with his shrieking V10 M5 powered E92 BMW. The BMW was probably the best sounding car in Formula D and looked pretty killer as well. The car's baller profile, killer looks and glorious sounds made Mike a darling of the media.

Click here to enlarge

The Z4 has a conventional and straightforward McPherson strut suspension that is easier to modify for more steering angle and Ackerman which works well for drifting. Multilink and other designs can prove to be problematic when modded.
    Although Mike had moments of glory during the season, such as his crazy reverse entry qualification run at Road Atlanta, there were also low moments such as failing to qualify at Irwindale and breaking down right off the trailer in Sonoma. The complicated V10 engine proved to be temperamental and difficult to tune.

Click here to enlarge

You can see how the spindle has been sectioned and welded to change the steering geometry. The base of it has been angle milled to change the steering axis as well. You can see how the tie rods and lower ball joint has been replaced with sphericals with longer spacers to adjust the camber curve and roll center as well as the bump steer.
    The E92 chassis also proved to be difficult to get dialed in. When modified to give enough steering angle for drifting, the odd double articulated lower arm front suspension had incredibly bad geometry with tons of bumpsteer and a lot of scrub radius offset. This made the car's steering difficult, with lots of initial understeer and a reluctance to turn in. The car also lacked forward bite and needed really soft rear springs and shock valving to put power down.

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Feat...97_4yU2D-L.jpg

The tie rods will be located lower later with longer spacers to reduce the bump steer further.
    This combo made the BMW exceedingly difficult to drive consistently and masked Mike's driving ability. In 2010 Mike would lay down a tight run and throw away the next due to the car's handling difficulties. Although the E92 chassis would excel in grip driving, in drifting it is not the best way to go without significantly re-engineering the suspension geometry in a very expensive way.

Click here to enlarge

The lower control arm's rear rubber bushing has been replaced with delrin."

Link to original article
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

And pictures of the car in completed form. Top down drifting ftw

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Link to original article
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks.

Good info...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    More information on the new Z4 and why he retired the E90.

"Hard as F*ck!- Mike Essa's BMW Z4 Drift Monster
    By Mike Kojima

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...2_6ayTXL-1.jpg

In the 2010 Formula D season, GSR Autosport/Nitto Tires driver Mike Essa grabbed plenty of Media attention with his shrieking V10 M5 powered E92 BMW. The BMW was probably the best sounding car in Formula D and looked pretty killer as well. The car's baller profile, killer looks and glorious sounds made Mike a darling of the media.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...4_8xFY8L-1.jpg

The Z4 has a conventional and straightforward McPherson strut suspension that is easier to modify for more steering angle and Ackerman which works well for drifting. Multilink and other designs can prove to be problematic when modded.
    Although Mike had moments of glory during the season, such as his crazy reverse entry qualification run at Road Atlanta, there were also low moments such as failing to qualify at Irwindale and breaking down right off the trailer in Sonoma. The complicated V10 engine proved to be temperamental and difficult to tune.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...5_Pj5kfL-1.jpg

You can see how the spindle has been sectioned and welded to change the steering geometry. The base of it has been angle milled to change the steering axis as well. You can see how the tie rods and lower ball joint has been replaced with sphericals with longer spacers to adjust the camber curve and roll center as well as the bump steer.
    The E92 chassis also proved to be difficult to get dialed in. When modified to give enough steering angle for drifting, the odd double articulated lower arm front suspension had incredibly bad geometry with tons of bumpsteer and a lot of scrub radius offset. This made the car's steering difficult, with lots of initial understeer and a reluctance to turn in. The car also lacked forward bite and needed really soft rear springs and shock valving to put power down.

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Feat...97_4yU2D-L.jpg

The tie rods will be located lower later with longer spacers to reduce the bump steer further.
    This combo made the BMW exceedingly difficult to drive consistently and masked Mike's driving ability. In 2010 Mike would lay down a tight run and throw away the next due to the car's handling difficulties. Although the E92 chassis would excel in grip driving, in drifting it is not the best way to go without significantly re-engineering the suspension geometry in a very expensive way.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...7_G8C8yL-1.jpg

The lower control arm's rear rubber bushing has been replaced with delrin."

Link to original article
    So he switched due to reliability issues with the V10?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The way that I understand it after reading, he switched not just because of the V10 but also because he could not dial in the suspension settings he wanted consistently.

He was looking for a consistent feel and the car would change on him from event to event.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

The way that I understand it after reading, he switched not just because of the V10 but also because he could not dial in the suspension settings he wanted consistently.

He was looking for a consistent feel and the car would change on him from event to event.
    Why would the V10 make the suspension so much harder to dial in? I realize it weighs a bunch but someone good with setting up the suspension should not have a problem with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Why would the V10 make the suspension so much harder to dial in? I realize it weighs a bunch but someone good with setting up the suspension should not have a problem with it.
    no man you miss read it , it doesn't have anything to do with V10.
    problems here are :
    1. The V10 isn't easy to tune
    2. Z4 has a better chassis for drifting than E92

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    no man you miss read it , it doesn't have anything to do with V10.
    problems here are :
    1. The V10 isn't easy to tune
    2. Z4 has a better chassis for drifting than E92
    Maybe I did, but seems he made a point about the reliability.

Why does he consider the Z4 a better drift chassis?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Why does he consider the Z4 a better drift chassis?
    i'm not sure about the chassis , maybe because it's a roadster it's chassis is stronger.
    about steering , with the McPherson strut you can easily adjust Toe-In and Toe-Out , most drifters prefer Toe-In but with multilink it's really hard to adjust it and sometimes it's not possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what the chassis rigidity is for the E90 series, but the chassis rigidity for the Z4 Roadster (M and non-M) is 16000 Nm/deg. Just for a data point, the Z4 Coupe's chassis rigidity is 32000Nm/deg.

I have heard that the Z4 is the stiffest chassis that BMW makes, but I have no data to corroborate that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

I don't know what the chassis rigidity is for the E90 series, but the chassis rigidity for the Z4 Roadster (M and non-M) is 16000 Nm/deg. Just for a data point, the Z4 Coupe's chassis rigidity is 32000Nm/deg.

I have heard that the Z4 is the stiffest chassis that BMW makes, but I have no data to corroborate that.
    Great information, I wouldn't doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast