Close

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

ProEFI-tuned Turbo M3

Kind of a cryptic post, but assuming this is Jason Siebels of AEM/proEFI fame we could have a new better-integrated tuning solution:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason S.
    I thought you guys might like to see what we have done with my 2005 M3 SMG.

We installed a Gt40 turbo and front mount intercooler
    Stock Catback Exhaust
    Installed a Pro128 ProEFI computer
    Flex fuel Sensor so I can run any mix of pump gas to 100% Ethanol.
    Differential wheel speed traction control (all through the factory CAN bus system)
    I-Boost 5 boost curve switch controlled through the factory Cruise control buttons when the cruise control isn't active.
    Scramble boost through the cruise set button
    FIC 1100cc injectors
    Fuel Pressure sensor - Monitors fuel pressure and adjusts accordingly (you'll see in the video). Allows for failsafes with loss of pressure.
    Exhaust Backpressure sensor
    Stock Pump (for now)
    Stock Intake manifold
    Stock Clutch (for now)
    Stock Engine (for now Click here to enlarge )
    Stock Ignition

Made 573RWHP at 9psi of boost.

Here is the video

Oh yeah, no SES light
    Last edited by spdu4ea; 02-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    features:

ProEFI will soon be releasing a plug and play kit for the BMW M3 Series E36 and E46. The following will be included in the initial release with a Pro128 ECU.

Fuel

Ignition timing

I-Boost Control (5 stages of boost curves that can be selected to be targeted against Vehicle Speed, Time, or Flex Fuel input, and Scramble boost). All controlled through the cruise control buttons on the factory CAN bus. (I.E. no wiring or cutting!).

Flex Fuel (ability to run any mixture of E85 with the ECU making on the fly adjustments to boost, spark, and fueling based on Ethanol content).

Antilag Boost control - 5 different target boost levels

TwoStep Launch Control - 5 different target RPM's

Hi/Low Octane switch - Allows the user to easily change the calibration to run pump gas and race gas settings

Nitrous Control - up to 4 stages

Control multiple fuel pumps in stages for easier fuel pressure control at lower flow demand

Automatic Transmission control with converter slip calculations to help with converter selection and seemless converter lock up engagement.

Manual transmission Gear position indicators and clutch slip calculations

2 channel Knock control with knock windows and true knock frequency filtering

Fuel Pressure Feedback and fault control to monitor proper fuel delivery to prevent engine damage due to fuel system failure

Oil Pressure monitoring to alert when low oil pressure conditions occur

Radiator Pressure monitoring to warn for excessive coolant pressure in case of a weak head to cylinder block seal, or cracked cylinder.

Traction Control - Differential wheel speed monitored through the factory can bus. No wiring or cutting!

Closed Loop O2 Feedback with Internal Wideband O2 sensors

Multiple Fault Management strategies to save the engine and alert the driver incase of sensor failure or tuning errors

CAN Display connectivity - 52mm Can Gauge, and 4.5 x 4.5" CAN display.

Meth injection - ability to control methanol injection and tune appropriately for it
    The bummer: Like HPF's AEM setup, it does not control throttle (Jason indicated its doable if needed on a 6spd, but unnecessarily complicated for SMG). This means factory speed limiter (and I believe, but am not sure, the dyno limiter). Unlike HPF's AEM, it does not control Vanos. Jason said altering the vanos curves would likely cause a SES fault, but indicated it was doable if someone really wanted. There is likely some area under the curve lost out here, how much only HPF knows, but considering the flak they took for the SES light it probably is significant...
    Last edited by spdu4ea; 02-15-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Nice! We need pics and vids
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

damn at 9psi almost 600 rwhp on stock engine too.. i gotta seee more info on this. wtf why hasnt this been out before
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    damn at 9psi almost 600 rwhp on stock engine too.. i gotta seee more info on this. wtf why hasnt this been out before
    Ain't E85 great? The proefi has been out a couple years, but like other standalones there was no plug-n-play E46 solution.

some hazy off-the-cuff history:
    I believe proEFI was Jason S's original pet project in the late 90s for DSMs. Then he worked for AEM and the result was the AEM ems (possibly based on original proEFI stuff?). Then he left AEM and started developing proEFI. Some of the big-name Supras use it, but most have been banned from supraforums so it doesn't get discussed a lot. Because of the previous ties to AEM, I'd be curious to know where it is made and whether it has been susceptible to the same quality control issues that have plagued the AEM ems in recent years...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

This is an interesting piece of electronics.

One thing to note, is that there appears to be 2 products in the video: The ECU and the Display which operate seperately.

I've had a chance to play with the ECU software briefly, and it will do everything needed to control an S54 including DBW and dual VANOS.

However, like HPF, I believe in this case that the ECU is only controlling spark and fuel. Unlike HPF, it's not controlling the VANOS. (Although it can according to what I've found in the GUI)

Some interesting features include 4 stages of nitrous control, meth injection control, traction control, and what appears to be the ability to control automatic transmissions....although I have to check if it has enough solenoid control circuits to control the transmission on my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Some interesting features include 4 stages of nitrous control, meth injection control, traction control, and what appears to be the ability to control automatic transmissions....although I have to check if it has enough solenoid control circuits to control the transmission on my car.
    I would not doubt it. One of the major benefits when the original AEM ems hit the market was the ability to control the Supra's automatic transmission -- something in which I know Jason S took a lot of pride.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn, it is great to see this!! I wish I had gone Pro-efi on the m5 instead of aem v2 especially since I run e85. Makes running that so much easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    I would not doubt it. One of the major benefits when the original AEM ems hit the market was the ability to control the Supra's automatic transmission -- something in which I know Jason S took a lot of pride.
    Really good to know.

Well my auto transmission has 3 solenoid valves, and 4 electrical pressure control valves. So it looks promising.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great work Jason! Amazing setup and control of the system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lots of questions, I'll try to answer them all here.

Variable cam - Our strategy is real time/current cycle, unlike other aftermarket controllers. We did not find any significant power gains moving the cams around, BMW was very aggressive with their strategy. Having said that, you can control them, but you will get the SES light.

ETC - Same deal there. If you have a 6spd car, you can take control, but you will get the light. If we run in to issues on the SMG cars, I can write strategy to control the trans, but it will very involved, and a timeframe would be hard to determine. We thoroughly test all our applications before we release them.

Auto Transmissions - We can control any switch shifted automatic transmission up to 6 gears. Some of the late model cars are varaible rate pulse shifted transmissions, and we haven't written strategy for those as of yet.

ECU Durability - We use a Continental Motorola factory produced ECU. There isn't an aftermarket controller as durable as this one. Motorola rates the failure rate in the parts per million, and I have never seen a failure to date. I have even had racers hook the battery up backwards and spend hours looking for a connection problem. The ECU was never harmed, even though they rate reverse polarity for about 5 minutes. Go to the ProEFI website under environmental specs and you can see what this ecu will put up with. I'd post a link but the forums won't let me....i'm too new! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason S. Click here to enlarge

Variable cam - Our strategy is real time/current cycle, unlike other aftermarket controllers. We did not find any significant power gains moving the cams around, BMW was very aggressive with their strategy. Having said that, you can control them, but you will get the SES light.

ETC - Same deal there. If you have a 6spd car, you can take control, but you will get the light. If we run in to issues on the SMG cars, I can write strategy to control the trans, but it will very involved, and a timeframe would be hard to determine. We thoroughly test all our applications before we release them.

Auto Transmissions - We can control any switch shifted automatic transmission up to 6 gears. Some of the late model cars are varaible rate pulse shifted transmissions, and we haven't written strategy for those as of yet.

ECU Durability - We use a Continental Motorola factory produced ECU. There isn't an aftermarket controller as durable as this one. Motorola rates the failure rate in the parts per million, and I have never seen a failure to date. I have even had racers hook the battery up backwards and spend hours looking for a connection problem. The ECU was never harmed, even though they rate reverse polarity for about 5 minutes. Go to the ProEFI website under environmental specs and you can see what this ecu will put up with. I'd post a link but the forums won't let me....i'm too new! Click here to enlarge

Welcome aboard, it's great to hear your input.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Welcome aboard, it's great to hear your input.
    Thank you! It's great to be here! The E46 is a wonderful platform!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And poof, like that hardware concerns disappear....

Does the proefi keep the DME happy enough for a normal OBD2 readiness output?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    And poof, like that hardware concerns disappear....

Does the proefi keep the DME happy enough for a normal OBD2 readiness output?
    All I can say is.... I get no codes, and no lights! Click here to enlarge

This product is legal for use on offroad vehicles which may never be used on highways.

The only time I will get a light is when I turn off the factory traction control, turn on the ProEFI traction control.... and thoroughly abuse the traction control. It will give misfire codes, and O2 lean codes under those conditions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hmm, this looks really cool and promising... Any idea on a price point yet for the PnP kit? I would love to get some bigger injectors and run e85!
    02 M3 JB/IR
    VF Stage 2+,Meth Inj, HPF Fuel Pump,JVT headers,CP RT,AA Gen3 Muffler
    TCK S/A 500/500,Turner sways,VMR V718,StopTech 355
    VAC Solid Diff Bushings, Solid Sub Frame Bushings, PF FCAB,RTAB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

First of all, welcome.

Ok, so will this be a viable alternative to HPF? You are no longer with AEM I take it or who do you represent currently (proefi, right?)

What manifold are you using?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I'd post a link but the forums won't let me....i'm too new!
    Unfortunately, since this is a commercial interest and you are not a vendor you will not be able to post links or use PM's. We will allow you to discuss the product in limited fashion as a courtesy.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Is this all brand new? I can't even contain myself with how epic the potential in this is. Proefi has the potential to change things in a big way for the S54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Same question, this seems like it came out of nowhere and developed overnight. THIS IS HUGE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Same question, this seems like it came out of nowhere and developed overnight. THIS IS HUGE!
    Definitely not an overnight ordeal! This project was quite a long time coming. I have always had a 'thing' for these cars, I purchased the car in February of last year. It went straight in to get the turbo kit made, this took longer than hoped, and needed quite a bit of tweaking to get where we wanted with it. Then I started working on the ECU side (the key). I picked an SMG for the challenge of it all. We have some pretty big customers that want us to make the Lamborghini kits, and Ferrari kits (we have done a few now). The SMG M3 made sense as it would be a 'cheaper' car if we were to damage anything in the learning process. Luckily...that hasn't been an issue. Getting information from the CAN bus was the key to making this work seemlessly. I have owned a lot of fast cars.... of all makes and types...this one is the nicest one to date I must say! Very happy about the decision to work on this platform.

I have a 760LI as a family car. It has gone 13.5 at 104mph Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

We have some pretty big customers that want us to make the Lamborghini kits, and Ferrari kits (we have done a few now).
    You guys have done lamborghini and ferrari turbo setups? Any details on those?

I have owned a lot of fast cars.... of all makes and types...this one is the nicest one to date I must say! Very happy about the decision to work on this platform.
    How far out is this from completion and for us to actually be able to purchase it and build our own S54 turbo kit?

I have a 760LI as a family car. It has gone 13.5 at 104mph
    Very nice, happy it saw the strip as not many would take a car like that out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You guys have done lamborghini and ferrari turbo setups? Any details on those?

How far out is this from completion and for us to actually be able to purchase it and build our own S54 turbo kit?

Very nice, happy it saw the strip as not many would take a car like that out.
    If it has wheels....and I own it...it gets raced! Click here to enlarge

The kit for the M3 should be where I would consider releasable in a couple of weeks.

I can't post any pictures of the Lamborghini stuff yet, but we did a murcialago that made 1300hp to the wheels already on E85! Click here to enlarge Once I get the o.k. from the customer i'll put up some stuff on that one. It's a beautiful black 05 E-Gear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

The kit for the M3 should be where I would consider releasable in a couple of weeks.
    You sir, are going to change the game. My e-mail is administrator@bimmerboost.com , be sure to send us updates with the details when this is ready. Also, if you have any tidbits you want to share that haven't been posted up (pics, dynos, whatever), I'm all ears.

I can't post any pictures of the Lamborghini stuff yet, but we did a murcialago that made 1300hp to the wheels already on E85! Once I get the o.k. from the customer i'll put up some stuff on that one. It's a beautiful black 05 E-Gear.
    I am intrigued.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast