Close

Thread: CDV delete

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

CDV delete

So finally got around to doing this and I'm really happy with the results. I never realized how sluggish and disconnected the car felt with the clutch delay valve in. It really makes shifting the car easier and gives more of a sense of connectedness to the drivetrain. More control I guess.

I just followed the DIYs that are around. Super easy. the only thing that gave me pause was the bleeding of the clutch line. Took two seconds and was no problem at all.

If you're on the fence, go for it. It's a great mod.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I suppose we should get a DIY for this up here.

Care to point me in the right direction?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes, please get a DIY here. i want to do it too.
    Garage Queen LSB 2001 M3 | VF Engineering Stg 1 | Black out package | Depo Smoke corners | LED smoked Tail lights | UUC short Shifter | UUC RK5 shift knob | Vorsteiner V-CSL Vented Race Hood | CF windshield washer grill | H&R Springs | HRE C21, black center with custom LSB colored Lip | BSW Stg 1 Speakers | BSW Dual 10" Sub setup
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

This is the one I used with a few edits.

1. Jack the front end up and put it on jack stands or use a lift.

2. Remove the 6-or-so 8mm screws that hold the center underpanel in place. This should be the one under the transmission, with the air vent in it.

3. Release the clips from the CDV inlet, and the CDV outlet.

4. Remove the CDV and replace with the modified valve.

5. Use a 7mm box key wrech and a friend to bleed the clutch valve. Be sure to pump the clutch a few times to get the air out of the system and into the bleed valve inbetween bleed sessions. 2-3 times should be ample.

6. Replace the aerodynamic underpanel.

7. Lower the car, and enjoy your new CDV-less shifting!

By far the most helpful website for this car is Bill's. Here's his tutorial: http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWCDVMod.htm
    Last edited by boom; 03-07-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Another thing to consider is just reusing your existing CDV. Once you have removed it from the car you can use a small allen wrench and a tap from a hammer to just pop the inside piece out (the actual restrictive portion).

I also recommend doing the mod 100% as well.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CDV removal is a great freebie mod. The first thing Ive done to all my 6mt bimmers. However u dont need to use a cdv at all, u can just completely elminate it. Buying a modified one is a waist of money. When u remove the CDV just reconnect the 2 hoses together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I agree no need for it to be there. Just take it out all the way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I just did this to my 2011 BMW 335i Coupe. It is just wonderful! I oredered a Bavarian Autosport modified clutch release valve and had it installed here in Germany. They call it a Clutch Unlock. Total cost for the installation was $100. This is the best money I have ever spent. Shifts are smooth and you don't have to work, and carefulley modulate the clutch, to get good shifts. I can concentrate on the road instead of on shifting. When driving full-throttle between 2nd and 3rd gear, the shift is so tight that I can chirp the tires even with the slip control on. I really enjoy my car now. I really don't understand why BMW handicapped such a great car - it just doesn't add up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I recently did this mod as well. The lurching from 1-2 shifts is mostly eliminated. I found that I needed relearn how to modulate the clutch after doing this. Before, I would have to feather the clutch to maintain smooth shifting. If I do the same thing now, its jerky. So I now let off the clutch quicker and can get that smooth 1-2 shift Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Nice! I can't wait to do this to my 1M. I am going to order an OEM CDV(I think its about 6 bucks), tap the center out then attach. This will give me the stealth look just in case the dealer is nosing around in that area for whatever reason. I am concerned about bleeding the lines though.Click here to enlarge
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bavarian Autosport modifies the OEM. The one Burger sells looks just like OEM too. I think the best way to go (hindsight is always 20/20) is to simply modify it yourself by removing the piece that restricts the flow within the CDV, or remove it completely.