Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

We've done some research on CAN communications for the purposes of doing a stand alone in dash boost gauge. Not using the IAT display but really hijacking a gauge like fuel level or the cruise control speed ring. We've made some progress but it's gotten beyond my in house staffs ability so we've recently farmed it out. I should note we've been told what we want to do may not be possible but we have the benefit of a strong relationship with BT which makes much of this easier. But we've found continually injecting data in to the bus does have its drawbacks. So lostmarine is not off base here. You really need to setup the device as a gateway to the dash only blocking/retransmitting certain packets rather than just a node dumping data out hoping it only effects the modules you want.

To Shiv's point reading some of the CAN data is beneficial if you have a use for it. The V4 system is setup to need it. The JB3 is setup so that it doesn't. It's as simple as that.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 03-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    We've done some research on CAN communications for the purposes of doing a stand alone in dash boost gauge. Not using the IAT display but really hijacking a gauge like fuel level or the cruise control speed ring. We've made some progress but it's gotten beyond my in house staffs ability so we've recently farmed it out. We have the benefit of a strong relationship with BT which makes much of this easier. But we've found continually injecting data in to the bus does have its drawbacks. So lostmarine is not off base here. You really need to setup the device as a gateway to the dash only blocking/retransmitting certain packets rather than just a node dumping data out hoping it only effects the modules you want.
    Who is dumping data? Btw, the procede acts as a gateway with one small change to the wiring harness Click here to enlarge

Shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Who is dumping data? Btw, the procede acts as a gateway with one small change to the wiring harness Click here to enlarge

Shiv
    I didn't say you were dumping data, although clearly there is no other mechanism to overwrite the dash ambient packets in the video in the first post. Even so I'm not sure how you're doing it without throwing off ambient temp with the AC, ECU, and other modules. But don't tell us and we'll continue working on the problems with this independently. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

You're posting in a thread about Procede features and you bring up the topic of data dumping. Clearly you expected readers to assume that this applied to the procede. I'm watching you Terry. You're a sneaky guy Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Im only asking questions. Usually he responds with less than useful remarks so I am glad to see he is actually answering my "simple minded" queries.
    I don't believe I brought up any other tune in this convo, i just responded voice some thoughts about the tune on topic.
    Also, the "complexity" and value of a tune justified by the percieved "complexity" of said tune voiced by oddjob is the issue that sparked that remark
    I didn't say EVERY procede misfires, but the fact that it was said to be fixed and has not is what caused my expressions.
    You'll find that if you ask me a question, I'll answer it. But if you threaten me, puposely spread information or insult me, I'll give you a less-than-helpful response. If one at all. I think that's to be expected.

Shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

You'll find that if you ask me a question, I'll answer it. But if you threaten me, puposely spread information or insult me, I'll give you a less-than-helpful response. If one at all. I think that's to be expected.

Shiv
    your probably best off not bringing that stuff up, as i recall asking questions and then without reason being personally insulted for being simple minded and such..which is unacceptable from a vendor..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

your probably best off not bringing that stuff up, as i recall asking questions and then without reason being personally insulted for being simple minded and such..which is unacceptable from a vendor..
    Be honest with yourself. The questions you usually ask aren't for the purpose of information gathering. They, like the ones in this thread, usually have an ulterior motive. So please don't offend me with your claims of innocence. It was lost the moment you publicly e-threatened to kill me with you gun upon my arrival at the upcoming NJ meet. If you have turned over a new leaf, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and will be happy to participate in discussions with you. If not, please move on. No offense, but I have better things to do.

Shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

This is the, "I'm the consumer, I'm always right, suck my c*ck" mentality. You know the truth behind those people. They'll badmouth you and expect to be treated like a king. Those are the people who shout through the drive through windows and have ass juice on their patties and eat it not knowing the difference.
    Last edited by klipseracer; 03-30-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    This is the, "I'm the consumer, I'm always right, suck my c*ck. You know the truth behind those people. They'll badmouth you and expect to be treated like a king. Those are the people who shout through the drive through windows and have ass juice on their patties and eat it not knowing the difference.
    That's a good way of putting it. But call me foolish as I am willing to give him the benefit of whatever little doubt there is about his motives.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Be honest with yourself. The questions you usually ask aren't for the purpose of information gathering. They, like the ones in this thread, usually have an ulterior motive. So please don't offend me with your claims of innocence. It was lost the moment you publicly e-threatened to kill me with you gun upon my arrival at the upcoming NJ meet. If you have turned over a new leaf, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and will be happy to participate in discussions with you. If not, please move on. No offense, but I have better things to do.

Shiv

uhh.. i actually don't like dragging off topic, but uh, this is what started it: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?1084-testing

i don't have anything else since both of our following comments were subsequently deleted so im pretty sure my memory is correct..

I ask questions.. is that so wrong on an OPEN forum.. if you don't like where the answers lead us, so be it..

So, Klipseracer, i am a customer, just not his.. therefore I am right, someone wants MY $$, they better not PERSONALLY insult me..

again, i didn't drag off topic..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

So, Klipseracer, i am a customer, just not his.. therefore I am right, someone wants MY $$, they better not PERSONALLY insult me..

Well. Maybe I'm not a part of this whole conversation but from what I just read which is the only place I can possibly make my assumptions from thats the notion that I received. I'll remove myself from the thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Well. Maybe I'm not a part of this whole conversation but from what I just read which is the only place I can possibly make my assumptions from thats the notion that I received. I'll remove myself from the thread.

I got ya, i figured you only caught the back half.. like i said, BOTH of our posts were deleted off E90 therwise you could see the whole REAL thing, but i was lucky enough to snip what actually started it before it escalated, which was very quickly..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

uhh.. i actually don't like dragging off topic, but uh, this is what started it: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?1084-testing

i don't have anything else since both of our following comments were subsequently deleted so im pretty sure my memory is correct..

I ask questions.. is that so wrong on an OPEN forum.. if you don't like where the answers lead us, so be it..

I understand there is history, and trust me, I read it. He is not insulting you here and is somewhat reaching his hand out. Let's just drop it for now and let the V4 thread be a V4 thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I understand there is history, and trust me, I read it. He is not insulting you here and is somewhat reaching his hand out. Let's just drop it for now and let the V4 thread be a V4 thread.
    I got ya, and am trying to stay on topic, but i can't control myself from responding when it does go OT.

so..
    Im curious, its been a few weeks, where are the updates to the Original posts AMAZING features? Are they released, have they had setbacks? Have they scrapped some/any of them? Release dates?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

I got ya, and am trying to stay on topic, but i can't control myself from responding when it does go OT.

so..
    Im curious, its been a few weeks, where are the updates to the Original posts AMAZING features? Are they released, have they had setbacks? Have they scrapped some/any of them? Release dates?
    Everything is going fine. Just revamping a few things in preperation for auto-tuning. Once that is done, well do the dash display. I never gave an eta for that and I probably never will. I really do all this stuff for fun. The minute I put self-imposed deadlines into play, fun goes out the window.

Why do u care? Just curious.

Shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Everything is going fine. Just revamping a few things in preperation for auto-tuning. Once that is done, well do the dash display. I never gave an eta for that and I probably never will. I really do all this stuff for fun. The minute I put self-imposed deadlines into play, fun goes out the window.

Shiv
    He probably cares for the same reason most of us do... we are BMW enthusiasts and like to know what is happening and who is doing what.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Shiv
    Just curiousity and boredom, not for the reasons you may be conjuring up in your head.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You mean it's not so you can go on bashing everything Procede when you think people aren't paying attention? Could have fooled me (and everyone else for that matter).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcmike Click here to enlarge
    You mean it's not so you can go on bashing everything Procede when you think people aren't paying attention? Could have fooled me (and everyone else for that matter).
    Point was made Click here to enlarge Let's let them have their uncomfortable truce and keep it on the technical aspects.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12