Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

N55 Procede Update

It looks like things are moving forward with the N55 and the tuning hurdles are being cleared. Glad to hear things are progressing

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys,
    Quick update from today's testing:

2011 135
    7DCT
    15k miles
    Provede v5 1-31 beta
    Catless dp
    Magnaflow cat-back
    STOCK fmic
    91oct Shell
    Peak boost 14psi
    5th Gear pulls

Click here to enlarge

So as of a few days ago, we got around the fuel system limit that triggered a limp when trying to run more than 12psi above 5000rpm. Now we can basically run whatever the little turbo is willing to give me. In this case, it's a full 14psi up until 6000rpm. Above that, boost naturally falls off to 12psi. But without the fuel limitation, things became a lot more interesting. Especially at high RPM where the car makes considerably more power. Hopefully, we can make a solid 360whp when we install the FMIC. Because right now, datalogs show 120F intake temps at the top of 5th gear. Leaves a good deal of room for improvement.

On this dyno, my 135 put down 263whp/290lbft when it was stock. I'll have to dig up the file from the shop. Should have more info later this week.

Cheers,
    Shiv
    original thread
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

damn some nice chunky torque. hp is pretty low tho
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    damn some nice chunky torque. hp is pretty low tho
    HP sells cars. Torque wins races.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tlaselva Click here to enlarge
    sometimes that is the case but not really.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Not really, watch an M6 go up against cars with more torque for example. HP wins up top... torque feels good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Not really, watch an M6 go up against cars with more torque for example. HP wins up top... torque feels good.
    yup exactly.

with my gti i had 230whp and around 270wtq on dynojet. i raced a stock e46 m3 they usually put out about 270whp and 240 wtq MAX on dynojet. I have more torque to the wheels than he does to the engine and he still pulls by a car on me after 130 mph's.

I still love torque Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Agreed, not all the time, but in many instances, torque wins.
    This is why you see people installing shorter gearing in their cars to improve their ET's at the drag strip. Ever see anyone install taller gears to improve ET?

Learned this the hard way when I raced a Mustang with 4.51 gears against my Vette with stock 3.54 gears.
    When we raced at the track, I lost with a 11.3 @ 130 mph to his 11.1 @ 109 mph.
    With my much higher trap speed, if the race had lasted any longer, I would have passed him like he had found a parking spot.

In a relatively short race, say a 1/4 mile when all other factors being equal like traction etc, torque becomes a determining factor.
    But yes, if the race lasts say for half a mile, or longer, then it becomes a pure HP race.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

This is why you see people putting in shorter gearing in their cars to improve their ET's at the drag strip. Ever see anyone install taller gears to improve ET?
    I put in shorter gears to try to improve ET and hurt myself instead. I will be one of those people putting in taller gears to help improve ET.

The race has to be very, very short to overcome a great HP advantage. Even 1/4 mile is too long, you are talking more like 1/8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I put in shorter gears to try to improve ET and hurt myself instead. I will be one of those people putting in taller gears to help improve ET.

The race has to be very, very short to overcome a great HP advantage. Even 1/4 mile is too long, you are talking more like 1/8.
    With shorter gearing, traction becomes more of an issue because you have more torque to the wheels.
    What you should have done was address the traction issue, by going with a stickier tire, like a drag radial. If you had gone with a tire which would have addressed your traction issue, you would have improved your ET noticably with the shorter gearing, even in a 1/4 mile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

With shorter gearing, traction becomes more of an issue because you have more torque to the wheels.
    What you should have done was address the traction issue, by going with a stickier tire, like a drag radial.
    I'm not sure why you assumed I was not running a drag radial or that I had traction issues?

If you had gone with a tire which would have addressed your traction issue, you would have improved your ET noticably with the shorter gearing, even in a 1/4 mile.
    Really? Well, I happened to be running a Mikey Thompson drag radial and my line lock was working perfectly so I set my best 60 foots to date. I don't think anyone has surpassed my 1.7x yet on the E92 M3.

The problem was I crossed the traps in 5th. In 5th gear at 115 mph I have less torque at the wheels than in 4th gear at the same speed with the stock gears. So, I didn't get an ET improvement even with better 60 foots and a better 1/8 because the top end was hurt. So ET's and traps suffered as a result.

Saying shorter gears will improve ET is not the case for every car and it can hurt ET as well. Making that blanket statement is simply incorrect.