Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ogshooter Click here to enlarge
    On a side note, I'm considering flying out to Portland, driving with the HPF caravan to MFest and then driving the car back to TN..... Only a little more $$$ than what I would pay to ship it back since I'd be splitting everything with a friend. I mean, how many people get to do that? Thoughts?
    I think that is an awesome idea and would be a great experience.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Like your build is cheap sticky lol. Hpf has many option you don't really need. I saved a chunk not getting couple things. Carbon fiber stuff mostly. Shipping is the killer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Like your build is cheap sticky lol
    Well, it's different though. I have a DCT to worry about it and I'm forging into territory that hasn't been done yet.

$27k and $40k are two very different numbers.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You have to get 5 or so oil changes under 3500 miles. First couple are real quick. Probably want to talk to hpf about driving to mfest with a fresh build. Not like you can stop for changes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

You have to get 5 or so oil changes under 3500 miles. First couple are real quick. Probably want to talk to hpf about driving to mfest with a fresh build. Not like you can stop for changes.
    If it was planned it really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Like I said he has extra stuff. You can't compare people hpf cars without a parts list if you real care about the numbers. All that carbon is not standard. Oil cooler extra, catch can extra. I'm sure
    you get the point. Lots of little $#@! adds up. Another thing if you have beat stock parts Hpf replaces those so that's another cost. If your car is jacked up(like mine was) you can add couple Gs on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How many miles from hpf to mfest and back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Black intercooler and painted manifolds. It's like when your buying new BMW if you pick all the
    options. Cost go up. Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Like I said he has extra stuff. You can't compare people hpf cars without a parts list if you real care about the numbers. All that carbon is not standard. Oil cooler extra, catch can extra. I'm sure
    you get the point. Lots of little $#@! adds up. Another thing if you have beat stock parts Hpf replaces those so that's another cost. If your car is jacked up(like mine was) you can add couple Gs on.
    Ya, I guess the cost really goes up with options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Trust in does. I went with must have parts. Black intercooler and painted mani was extra 500
    I had like a 10 page list of parts that cost a dollar. Hpf doesn't just throw there kit
    on a car that's beat to $#@!. They will work with you on replacing what is needed.
    Not for free but they do help you big time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Trust in does. I went with must have parts. Black intercooler and painted mani was extra 500
    I had like a 10 page list of parts that cost a dollar. Hpf doesn't just throw there kit
    on a car that's beat to $#@!. They will work with you on replacing what is needed.
    Not for free but they do help you big time.
    Hey you know, at least you are paying for quality work. I have seen how much effort they put in to diagnose cars so you get great work for your $.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you regret it at all? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around $40k, long way from that $27k listed on HPF's site...
    That's pretty mind boggling! I really want a HPF turbo system. I was quoted $20k for a stage 1 turbo kit, stage 2 clutch and subframe reenforcement all installed. You guys running 2.5 and above are shelling out some serious cash!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Road trip it back! I bought my E28 in Orlando and drove it back to NY. Best vacation with the girlfriend ever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Some of the things I didn't have to get, but did anyway because they increased power were: the Stage 3+ carbon fiber intake, carbon fiber air vent , a stock mid-section, and the Agency Power exhaust. Those were shown to have provided the most power on Stage 2.5, so I bought them. I didn't buy them for the looks, but the functionality. My car didn't have the carbon fiber air vent installed when it was dyno'd. I'm not sure how much power increase it will provide, but according to HPF it will provide some. The intake is on the opposite side in an HPF M3, so it only makes sense re-directing the air flow to the other side should show some improvements.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah, I'll have to plan the oil changes but that shouldn't be that big of an issue. I haven't mentioned the break in oil changes but they haven't either when I've discussed the trip. I'll ask though and plan it out. There have been a couple people with 2.5+ drive their cars hundreds or thousands of miles home. My trip will be close to 3,000 miles from Portland to Vegas then to Tennessee. Should be fun as hell!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Click here to enlarge
    Some of the things I didn't have to get, but did anyway because they increased power were: the Stage 3+ carbon fiber intake, carbon fiber air vent , a stock mid-section, and the Agency Power exhaust. Those were shown to have provided the most power on Stage 2.5, so I bought them. I didn't buy them for the looks, but the functionality. My car didn't have the carbon fiber air vent installed when it was dyno'd. I'm not sure how much power increase it will provide, but according to HPF it will provide some. The intake is on the opposite side in an HPF M3, so it only makes sense re-directing the air flow to the other side should show some improvements.
    Interesting, I have agency power sec 1, 2 & rear. I'll have to send them the OEM one for sure. I wonder what the power difference is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Bring the oil and filter with you to Mfest!

Back in 2008 I did a trip from Saskatoon,SK to Houston,TX and back with my SC SVT Cobra and was doing oil changes in hotel parking lots...then dropping the used oil off to gas stations.

It can be done...

Every single one of the One Lap of America contestants ends up doing this too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ogshooter Click here to enlarge
    Interesting, I have agency power sec 1, 2 & rear. I'll have to send them the OEM one for sure. I wonder what the power difference is?
    Not sure, what the difference is. Talk to Dave or one of the guys at HPF.

I had Supersprint stepped headers, SS section 1, Borla section 2, and RE El Diablo rear. Great for my supercharger and N/A. Not so much for the HPF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very nice. Can't wait to see some pics and vids.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Long time reader, first time poster.

I also just purchased the 2.5 kit from HPF and you're all right about the $27k just being the door fee. It add's up fast.. machine costs, labor, rtabs, exhaust, bushings/oem replacement parts (might as well do it now the cars half disassembled), subframe reinforcement, clutch, oil cooler/catch, color matched manifold, etc... before you know it its $40k. Which is exactly how much its costing me and that doesn't include transport.

The coolest thing is that they finance you for 50% and its 12/18/24 months depending. Sure you gotta have loot to afford that sort of financing as thats about $1000-$1500/mo depending.. but it still helps vs. writing a check for $40k.

That's still no small beans, and theres almost no resale value. As far as I know only two HPF cars have been resold and I think was was traded+cash for a e60 m5 and price wasn't disclosed. But then there was some dude in the bay area with a completely base Tiag M3 with high milleage and a Stage 2 (or was it 3) who just dropped his pants and sold it for way cheap. Which of course only worsens the resale value as people search for "HPF for Sale" and find some guy selling a Stage 3 for like $30k.

Regardless I don't regret it yet.. but when I go to sell the car its going to hurt like a $#@!.

OP: Looks like our cars will probably be in there at the same time! Lets hope Chris does an "HPF Update" video while they're in there!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hpf put me on a 15 month plan for last 6k I owe. I'll have it paid off before that. Winter is slow for my works so they worked with me to keep it at 500 a month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    The coolest thing is that they finance you for 50% and its 12/18/24 months depending. Sure you gotta have loot to afford that sort of financing as thats about $1000-$1500/mo depending.. but it still helps vs. writing a check for $40k
    Financing option is great, if it wasn't available that would definitely turn a lot of people off as who just has $40k laying around to dump on their car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    That's still no small beans, and theres almost no resale value. As far as I know only two HPF cars have been resold and I think was was traded+cash for a e60 m5 and price wasn't disclosed. But then there was some dude in the bay area with a completely base Tiag M3 with high milleage and a Stage 2 (or was it 3) who just dropped his pants and sold it for way cheap. Which of course only worsens the resale value as people search for "HPF for Sale" and find some guy selling a Stage 3 for like $30k.

Regardless I don't regret it yet.. but when I go to sell the car its going to hurt like a $#@!.
    Yep, that is the part that hurts. You won't get the money back and it is tough to sell. That is why for $40k it almost makes more sense to simply get a different car. No offense intended, just soaking in the $40k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Your right, but I love the E46 LSB M3 and have been in love with it since it was released. Just never had the loot to get one, and now that I could afford it I bought a low mileage one and I'm 'doing it right'.

I'm not even sure what other kind of car I would have rather had. Lambo? No thanks, theres about 100 of them where I live. 911 w/mods? Maybe.. but there are also 100 of those includes GT3RS's in my area as well.. not that I have to be unique or anything but if I was to open up the 'mod check book' on a 911 or Lambo I'd be in the poor house real quick like.

So I figured this route was the best way to go. I also would like to eventually gut it and turn it into a track car when I get bored of driving it on the streets. I probably won't ever sell it, I don't think I could.. I'd rather not find out what it would go for used after knowing how much I put into it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I don't plan on selling my car. I drive it everyday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast