Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Our M20 Turbo E34 Project for Customer

Unfortunately, I really don't have many pictures of this car when it arrived, though now I'm wishing I did.

The very, very short back story on the car is it's an M20 powered E34, with an eBay turbo, eBay top-mount manifold et al. It's owned by a gentleman who simply went to a shop local to him, and said "turbo my car!" This was in 2008. The car was there for 2+ years, with not a lot to show for it unfortunately.

It ended up at our shop about a month ago, BARELY idling. It featured stock injectors, steel, crush-bent 2" charge piping, a "blow-thru" MAF with an eBay "SSQ" placed after the MAF, the stock M20 throttle body elbow, with stock idle control hose with no clamp, which was totally dry rotted, and more air leaks than you could shake a stick at. The list goes on but my memory does not.

We definitely had to make some changes to this, and have this car run properly for a man who's been without his car for over 2 years. The customer had the Miller WAR chip installed, so we are going to attempt to stick with that.

There is a TON of work left to do, but here's just a few pictures of where we are now. We've thrown out all the old charge piping and did 2.5" TIG welded and mandrel bent piping, then powdercoated it wrinkle black for a clean look. Again, anything you see here will likely be changed before this car is complete, but I guess I'll be posting some updates here sporadically.

This really is making the best of a bad situation, but I have to admit, we're starting to have fun and anticipate getting this thing on the dyno and seeing what we can make. Trying to stay within a customer's budget is the hardest part, but we're doing OK.

Piping mocked up with SSQ knock-off mounted
    Click here to enlarge

Front view once we had the piping fit
    Click here to enlarge

Piping now temporarily clamped in place, powdercoated wrinkle black, you'll notice a little methanol nozzle bung right before the throttle body, we may end up going that route later.
    Click here to enlarge

Front view with coated pipes
    Click here to enlarge

More updates will be coming at some point as progress continues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok, now this great to see at least from my perspective.

A lot of people can install kits but cleaning up another shops mess as well as doing custom turbo work is what sets you apart. The capability to be multi-faceted when it comes to forced induction on BMW's is a major plus.

The M20 is a great little motor that is very capable with some boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

should be sick, what turbo will you guys be using? and what numbers does the customer want outta the car?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like a cool project
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Haha, the customer has a generic Made-in-China turbo on there that says "61 trim." It's journal bearing and has an internal wastegate. . .that is really all we know about it. Will it last? Who knows.

I think power goals are pretty humble here, maybe upper 200s wheel? We will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Precision Sport Click here to enlarge
    Haha, the customer has a generic Made-in-China turbo on there that says "61 trim." It's journal bearing and has an internal wastegate. . .that is really all we know about it. Will it last? Who knows.

I think power goals are pretty humble here, maybe upper 200s wheel? We will see.
    I'm not sure if this will apply but we have a guy here with an amazing budget M10 setup: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...bo-8.53-87-1-8

Maybe something to look at to get ideas how to work within the confines of the budget.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mid 200s doesn't sound bad....I hope the turbo will provide that much without eating itself...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Thanks, sticky, I will be reading that thread for sure.

Matt, we will surely see, definitely a bit of russian roulette with that turbo choice.