Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

How do you mentally prepare for a race?

Ok, sometimes racing takes wit; quick reactions; good judgement of time and distance and good feeling for your car.

Add into the mix the emotions you are going through as you are about to launch, or do a highway pull or whatever; and you start to forget how to drive...

Here is how I mentally prepare before a drag race.

First, you have to convince yourself the race means nothing and you will run a $#@!ty time. Dont expect to win at all; ever. Overconfidence is what will make you get nervous, because you will subconsiously try too hard and make mistakes that push boundaries (loss traction, miss shifts stupid stuff etc...).

Second, after your first thought you should instantly start to relax because you are not expecting to win or run a 9.00 @ 192 mph.

What should be going through your head is, what are the order of events that need to take place to run a 'decent' time. Dont get cocky, i dont care if youve been racing for 50 years, overconfidence will ruin you especially in drag racing when you have such little time to correct for a poor launch.

For me, the order of operations is a basic list of things on how do i want to launch and try to be conservative for the first run of the night.

Preparing mentally for a race cant always happen with long notice, sometimes you pull up at a light and there is a douche in camaro that just cut you off. What do you do?

In that situation, mental beginning my preparation is simple. Dont do something stupid on the street, first of all; i am on the street. Second of all, if you lose oh well; dont try and chase him down and end up dead.

Just before the light turns green I try and LET HIM MAKE ALL THE MISTAKES. I cant emphasize this enough, most people dont know how to launch/drive their car. Exploit this, come off the line conservatively if you must and then lay it on him.

And always always think of safety first, if you notice that there is an intersection 200 feet down the road you are going to run then just rev your motor and get the douche all riled up. Let him go and you do nothing, dont race in a situation like that.

Sometimes you can be tempted to do stupid things, but you have to fight the temptation. Or you are just very excited; what do you do to prepare for a race? And what is your biggest flaw when racing?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only thing I really concentrate on is making sure I stage first. That'll give you the most time to do a quick mental list and it puts pressure on your opponent to line up as they're being waited on. This is especially important if you bracket race.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wait for Vin Diesel to close the laptop and say smoke em.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like this:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lmfao... ahahah

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I lol'd at this

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haven't raced yet, so no idea, but I plan on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    First, you have to convince yourself the race means nothing and you will run a $#@!ty time. Dont expect to win at all; ever. Overconfidence is what will make you get nervous, because you will subconsiously try too hard and make mistakes that push boundaries (loss traction, miss shifts stupid stuff etc...).
    This is a good point and also why I prefer to run at private rentals. On public days way too many people watching and I hate having to answer a ton of question when I'm testing things out and trying various approaches.

Calm, cool, and don't worry about the guy in the lane next you. That is the most important for me at least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a good point and also why I prefer to run at private rentals. On public days way too many people watching and I hate having to answer a ton of question when I'm testing things out and trying various approaches.

Calm, cool, and don't worry about the guy in the lane next you. That is the most important for me at least.
    +1
    I try not to get too excited. I tend to $#@! up really bad when Im over thinking it.
    Like was said above, get the order of events that need to take place down! There have been times that I am so eager and excited to go that I forget to disable traction control!!! or get throttle happy and go past the kick down!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    +1
    I try not to get too excited. I tend to $#@! up really bad when Im over thinking it.
    Like was said above, get the order of events that need to take place down! There have been times that I am so eager and excited to go that I forget to disable traction control!!! or get throttle happy and go past the kick down!
    Yep.

I can't tell you how many times though idiots say I lost a "race" because I left the line when I was ready instead of when the light goes green.

Also something important to keep in mind, you can leave when you want and when you are ready, don't let the light pressure you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Right. Time does not start till you leave the line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've never done a 'test and tune', but I think I'm going to give it a whirl when MIR opens back up again. I am really glad that I didn't start on a public day as I was told that lining up worked backwards to what how it actually does so I pulled forward until both yellow lights went off. Although it took me a sec to figure out what was going on, no one said a thing or even seemed to notice. Pride damaged but in one piece lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I also like to think I won't win and it's just for fun. Besides, the guy next to me usually has a big block Chevy and runs 9's. It's nice however to catch one of those cars when it's not running right and just destroy them in front of their drinkin' buddys. They usually scream back to the pits and pretend to work on their car to keep from getting embarrased by a "damn import".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I go in to a drag race not caring about the other guy....usually my crotch rocket friends will find me in the line up and you can already tell the outcome.

I go when I am damn well ready. I care about my time and my time only.

In regards to auto-x-ing, deep breaths before and then I try to remember to breath while running Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very good thread , but it would be better if it wasn't all about Drag

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Then you're in the wrong forum Click here to enlarge
    When I was racing Go-karts I allways did the following.
    First, know the track. Really know it. Bump for bump, kerbs and breaking points.
    Then, picture yourself driving it.See yourself steering thrrough every corner, entrypoints, apex, exit. Know and rehearse when you go full throttle, where you brake, how the car feels. Make yourself feel the expected reaction of the car. That way you also can respond quicker if that feeling doesn't match reality Click here to enlarge .
    Drive the circuit like this a couple of times. Focus on the braking points and apexes.
    Remember practice makes perfect.
    One thing you cannot train for like this are racesituations.
    That all depends on the situation. There it still can go very wrong, but during the race I allways felt I could focus on the other competitors much better when I programmed the circuit in my head, knowing where I was exactly, which made me going round the circuit faster and with less mental strain. Just gave me a more relaxed feel in a very hectic situation. Just my way of getting in the zone.
    May work for you, but might not...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Then you're in the wrong forum Click here to enlarge
    When I was racing Go-karts I allways did the following.
    First, know the track. Really know it. Bump for bump, kerbs and breaking points.
    Then, picture yourself driving it.See yourself steering thrrough every corner, entrypoints, apex, exit. Know and rehearse when you go full throttle, where you brake, how the car feels. Make yourself feel the expected reaction of the car. That way you also can respond quicker if that feeling doesn't match reality Click here to enlarge .
    Drive the circuit like this a couple of times. Focus on the braking points and apexes.
    Remember practice makes perfect.
    One thing you cannot train for like this are racesituations.
    That all depends on the situation. There it still can go very wrong, but during the race I allways felt I could focus on the other competitors much better when I programmed the circuit in my head, knowing where I was exactly, which made me going round the circuit faster and with less mental strain. Just gave me a more relaxed feel in a very hectic situation. Just my way of getting in the zone.
    May work for you, but might not...
    checking track before doing a lap , i'm with you on that ,really works for me
    and when it comes to practice lap i'm usually the last one, watching others practicing help too.
    BTW what type of Go-Kart you drive?
    Thank You

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a 125cc 2stroke Promo cart. Purely for recreational purposes now. My wife doesn't like sitting besides the go-kart track at all, so it (the cart, not the wife Click here to enlarge ) has't been out of the storage for over a year now...
    We used to go racing with a group of friends, but life got in the way I guess.
    But, it's ready to go. Just fill her up with gas and water (cooling) and race...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow 125cc, you must be a good driver !! i tried one of those things (BRP Rex , something like that) it was so scary , and PAINFUL ! got backache after 4th lap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I also like to think I won't win and it's just for fun. Besides, the guy next to me usually has a big block Chevy and runs 9's. It's nice however to catch one of those cars when it's not running right and just destroy them in front of their drinkin' buddys. They usually scream back to the pits and pretend to work on their car to keep from getting embarrased by a "damn import".
    This is funny but oh so true. They really tend to take it personally and absolutely hate getting beat by imports. They also love nothing more than to try to embarrass "overpriced german garbage" as I often hear. Although it makes it just that much more fun to beat them since they have no idea what the hell BMW's or any German cars can run for that matter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
    Very good thread , but it would be better if it wasn't all about Drag
    Why? How often do you have a road race with someone on the street with a definitive win/lose scenario? Or for that matter, how often do you just challenge one other car on the road course where it is one on one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why? How often do you have a road race with someone on the street with a definitive win/lose scenario? Or for that matter, how often do you just challenge one other car on the road course where it is one on one?
    why so defensive? i just asked , that's it.
    i was at track last day ,i picked up my new car and went straight to a road course

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Whenever I get the chance Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is funny but oh so true. They really tend to take it personally and absolutely hate getting beat by imports. They also love nothing more than to try to embarrass "overpriced german garbage" as I often hear. Although it makes it just that much more fun to beat them since they have no idea what the hell BMW's or any German cars can run for that matter.
    Try getting them to a circuit day. There the imports can drive circles around the MOPARs all day Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
    why so defensive? i just asked , that's it.
    i was at track last day ,i picked up my new car and went straight to a road course
    No worries, I wasn't trying to be defensive just responding like normal Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast