Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    +1, well said. Screw with your gearing too much and you will end up going down a highway at 65mph with 3500 rpm. If that's what you want... If shifting is your thing, you willl love a lower gearing
    + you will lose on topspeed.
    After trying shorter gears, I didn't like it. Not worth the top end sacrifice.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    After trying shorter gears, I didn't like it. Not worth the top end sacrifice.
    we're talking about a jump from 3.08 to 3.43.... its not like going to 4.56 or 5.11's...

I shift into 4th gear in the 1/4 mile regardless....
    3.43 is not big enough of a jump to have to shift into 5th gear so you're really not losing anything at least 1/4 mile wise since us mt guys are hitting 4th gear for short period of time

now jump up to 3.73 and maybe talking a 5th gear shifting which would suck.

bottom line, if you know how to drive mt very well, jumping up to 3.43 would do nothing but improve 1/4 times... but that's just my meaningless opinion.. Click here to enlarge

I remember in my f body with the stock 3.23 gearing and a 150 shot i was trapping at 121 with consistent 1.7 60's and still in the middle of 4th gear crossing the line...
    i went to 3.73 and was trapping in the 117's... but also crossing the line at the end of 4th, and with .3 - .4 better 1/4 times

not sure if its relevant in this case, cause im not really up to date with bmw's ratios and whatnot

plus with the 5th and 6th gears final drives so long, would it even matter?? just wondering

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by skifreek Click here to enlarge
    I shift into 4th gear in the 1/4 mile regardless....
    3.43 is not big enough of a jump to have to shift into 5th gear so you're really not losing anything at least 1/4 mile wise since us mt guys are hitting 4th gear for short period of time
    It may be a good change for you regarding the 1/4 but no matter what in a top end contest you have made a sacrifice at some point.

It was a poor change for me.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This is what Harold at HP Autowerks said about the diff on another forum:

"What you have here is an early production automatic 3.46 ratio final drive unit. That is a good find as it is very rare. It will fit your 2008 335i with a manual transmission if that is what you have."

And this is how he knows:

"We have been doing LSD's on the E9x chassis since 2007, then pick up the E8x chassis soon after that. Not to mention E36/46 chassis as well. No less than 160 units of Quaife and 30+ units of Wavetrac have gone out of our doors so we know what it is when we see one.

To answer your question, it is bolted."

So I bought it and got a really sweet deal, it only has 6300kms on it to boot, so it is almost new!

These wrecking yards make me laugh, because when they do not know how to take something of they cut it!!

As you can tell by the pic.Click here to enlarge

If they did not cut the drive-shift off like that they would have made money off of it down the road.

Unfortunately I have to wait until mid February because the wavetrac is on back order.Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by farbmw; 01-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Dan (ultimateendz) might have a new Quaife forsale soon..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Dan (ultimateendz) might have a new Quaife forsale soon..
    Thanks Bro! But I think I want to stick with Wavetrac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12