Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    To date this information appears to have been misplaced or hidden for a reason (what is changed, read/write process, quantitative results) - or just omitted honestly.
    Exactly, and some would say conveniently.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    From my experience the module is accessible through the ODB2 - yet the car needs to be done in person. Why would they need to have the car in person for if you can read it from the bench? We all know with any Auto/DCT shifting can be manipulated by Drive by Wiring mapping but does this go beyond that?
    Exactly, which begs the question why the entire industry and those experienced with these cars say one thing yet a small group says something completely different?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikewads Click here to enlarge
    I had the latest BMW DME & DCT software installed at my dealer before the ESS DCT software was installed and I can tell you the car shifts firmer with the ESS software. A firmer shift will help prolong the life of the stock clutches. Also when I'm at WOT in MANUAL mode it will shift to the next gear on its own before hitting the rev limiter, which is something the stock software can't do unless its in Auto.

AJ told me the factory DCT software is programmed with a more gradual engagement to avoid wheelspin during gearshifts, so what ESS does is replace this gradual engagement for a much more aggressive enagement to avoid heat build up during gear engagement. This in turn helps the clutches last longer. Other changes include parameters in the transmission that deal with load control, shift logic, and torque modulation during WOT auto downshifts.
    Look, maybe I was too harsh with my earlier responses so I will try a different approach.

Do you know what parameters were actually changed or have any documentation on the process of how it is applied that is supposed to differ from OBD II flashing? If not, think about it for yourself if you are getting anything different actually done.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mike don't get caught up in everyones retartedness ...
    Your making Perfict sence ...
    It simply helps !! And you seem to have a solid track record !! Kudos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by biglare Click here to enlarge
    Sticky you are just jealous because ESS figured out a way to tune the DCT and your car has been down for a year. Why don't you get the ESS DCT software and try it out for yourself. Why don't you get your parents to buy you the ESS DCT software since you are still living with them and they are financing Gintani! Yeah, I saw the video! Hahahahaaa!!!
    Don't be so emotional.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fstop7 Click here to enlarge
    Don't be so emotional.
    What video ? I wanna see .....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, I am extremely jealous because ESS with their genius tuning, that still hasn't solved misfires, is absolutely incredible. Are you seriously blind? Why don't you think about the actual phsyical hardware and see if anything said made sense?

Please don't try and make things personal because you are not capable of debating the topic. Secondly, I have no idea how if I live with my parents I'm staring at the ocean in Malibu right now? Maybe you should tell them I haven't been home in years as they are probably worried by now? Actually, I think you are the kid living off mommy and daddy due to your immaturity but I could care less. Financing Gintani? You saw a video and immediately accepted it all as true? No surprise, you aren't the brightest bulb.

Stick to the topic you might fare better.
    Well you just confirmed that the video is true by banning me from posting for n number of days on your site here. Thanks for the confirmation!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fstop7 Click here to enlarge
    Don't be so emotional.
    Who the hell are you? Eat me!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SunocoCAM2 Click here to enlarge
    What video ? I wanna see .....
    I'll PM you the link!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Well you just confirmed that the video is true by banning me from posting for n number of days on your site here. Thanks for the confirmation!
    You just confirmed you are an idiot.

I didn't ban you, you received too much neg rep. I suggest you read the rules so you don't get confused again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Well,it seems that somethings never change !
    ppl still angry !!
    So Gents,get your cars ready for Mfest and we can see how we make out on the Track!!!
    Me personally,I cant wait !!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I suggest you read the rules so you don't get confused again.
    lolClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FWIW, from the logs I've seen I do believe ESS DCT software makes car faster at/around the shifts.

Does it physically engage the gears faster? Doubtful
    Does it decrease the time the clutches slip? Possibly (and this would create less heat)
    Does it alter ECU/engine parameters (timing retard, electronic throttle opening) around the shift? Possibly
    Does it increase the rev limit/automatic shift point? Probably

Because the shifts are already so fast (0.03s), we probably won't know/prove more until someone gets a vbox 3i (0.01s sample times vs 0.1s).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    Because the shifts are already so fast (0.03s), we probably won't know/prove more until someone gets a vbox 3i (0.01s sample times vs 0.1s).
    From all the Vbox times we already have, no gains in shifting.

Does it alter ECU/engine parameters (timing retard, electronic throttle opening) around the shift? Possibly
    This is controlled from the ECU, no special transmission software.

Does it increase the rev limit/automatic shift point? Probably
    Does not increase the automatic shift points.

Does it physically engage the gears faster? Doubtful
    This is really a physical limitation.

Does it decrease the time the clutches slip? Possibly (and this would create less heat)
    They can increase the line pressure which will engage the clutches harder, their torque capability is still the same it always was. Does it create less heat? Well, why? When engaging launch control in S6 this is the highest/fastest shift mode yet when the clutches engage at 6200 rpm this generates the most heat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Who the hell are you? Eat me!
    Question of the week : are you the dumbest person i've ever known?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From all the Vbox times we already have, no gains in shifting.
    With a 0.1s sample rate and 0.03s shifts, the vbox isn't accurate enough to detect the difference time-wise. If you go by distance, the ESS car does seems to gain ~1 foot each shift. Those distances are still based on interpolations from inaccurate 0.1s sample rates, but it is an indication that the ESS software makes the car faster @ shifts...

This is controlled from the ECU, no special transmission software.
    Correct. But it seems likely to me that BMW would retard the ignition timing at the shift to limit power (to limit wear & tear and to make the shift smoother for the average non-enthusiast). They could do the same with electronic throttle. It is possible (maybe even likely) that ESS adjusts these parameters to make the engine put out more power during & immediately after the shift.

Does not increase the automatic shift points.
    The word I got from ESS (via an intermediary) was that the rev limit was increased from 8400 to 8600rpm and that the software now automatically upshifts at redline in manual mode rather than hitting the soft rev limiter.

This is really a physical limitation.
    Agreed. I don't believe ESS can make the transmission physically change gears faster. It does seem that their software makes the car gain ground during the shift, which leads me to believe they do so in ways other than making the transmission work faster.

They can increase the line pressure which will engage the clutches harder, their torque capability is still the same it always was. Does it create less heat? Well, why? When engaging launch control in S6 this is the highest/fastest shift mode yet when the clutches engage at 6200 rpm this generates the most heat.
    I can't comment on launching, I just analyzed some 60-130 type runs. I do agree with you that ESS has probably hyped the heat differences, but that doesn't mean their shifts can't create 49.5 BTUs instead of 50...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

With a 0.1s sample rate and 0.03s shifts, the vbox isn't accurate enough to detect the difference time-wise. If you go by distance, the ESS car does seems to gain ~1 foot each shift. Those distances are still based on interpolations from inaccurate 0.1s sample rates, but it is an indication that the ESS software makes the car faster @ shifts...
    True, but we don't necessarily need the sample rate to realize improving on something limited by physical capability is not going to be improved by software. The trans shifts 40 times faster than you can blink your eye... we have approached a physical limit. If it did improve times, we should see a consistent advantage to all ESS transmission software cars yet we do not.

Correct. But it seems likely to me that BMW would retard the ignition timing at the shift to limit power (to limit wear & tear and to make the shift smoother for the average non-enthusiast). They could do the same with electronic throttle. It is possible (maybe even likely) that ESS adjusts these parameters to make the engine put out more power during & immediately after the shift.
    True, but what is important to pick up from this is you can make these changes from the ECU. No special software, no ridiculous changes, just like everyone else you make changes in the ECU.

The word I got from ESS (via an intermediary) was that the rev limit was increased from 8400 to 8600rpm and that the software now automatically upshifts at redline in manual mode rather than hitting the soft rev limiter.
    Yes, auto shifts in manual mode but no changes to shift points in auto mode. As I stated, no one has true control. Raising the redline is actually a fairly easy change made in the ECU, everyone offers this.

I can't comment on launching, I just analyzed some 60-130 type runs. I do agree with you that ESS has probably hyped the heat differences, but that doesn't mean their shifts can't create 49.5 BTUs instead of 50...
    This is actually part of the problem, we have no real data to go on. We have nothing released or anything to substantiate any of the claims. We are basically taking stabs in the dark but I can say from what I have done with the trans and have seen what is being marketed is taken out of context.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12