Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    Gary,
    Thx for that! I hadn't guessed there would be differences in the engine tune for the XI. Dare I hope that there's a way to map torque split control?
    If you've got access to this parameter I'd be keenly interested in discussing what I'd like to see in approach to AWD control for track and spirited street applications!
    Dan
    A 30/70 or 20/80 split F/R would be fun to play with. Do the XI differentials actually lock though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any word on 35is, and 1///M tunes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gary,
    Thx for that! I hadn't guessed there would be differences in the engine tune for the XI. Dare I hope that there's a way to map torque split control?
    If you've got access to this parameter I'd be keenly interested in discussing what I'd like to see in approach to AWD control for track and spirited street applications!
    Dan
    Dan,

I'm not aware of any development we're doing on driveline management at this time.

Thanks,

Gary

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    Any word on 35is, and 1///M tunes?
    BASELINE,

We're seeking cars to test this no. So far we've been having difficulty getting access to these cars in Austin. If you know of anyone, please send them our way.

Thanks,

Gary

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by COBB Tuning Click here to enlarge
    BASELINE,

We're seeking cars to test this no. So far we've been having difficulty getting access to these cars in Austin. If you know of anyone, please send them our way.

Thanks,

Gary
    You guys are in Austin?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    A 30/70 or 20/80 split F/R would be fun to play with. Do the XI differentials actually lock though?
    As far as I know, the xDrive cars from 2006 on continuously vary torque split and can send up to 100% of available torque to either axle. My complaint is that when I roll on throttle while cornering, the car understeers so severely that the first time I got on it hard on a freeway ramp I thought I was going to go over the high side! (Turns out it detects the understeer and corrects, probably with a combination of brake application and reduction of front torque.) Wouldn't it be nice to start with 90-100% rear and feed torque to the front as much as possible while maintaining neutral balance?
    More available torque will only make me wish harder for a modded torque split map!
    Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as I know, the xDrive cars from 2006 on continuously vary torque split and can send up to 100% of available torque to either axle. My complaint is that when I roll on throttle while cornering, the car understeers so severely that the first time I got on it hard on a freeway ramp I thought I was going to go over the high side! (Turns out it detects the understeer and corrects, probably with a combination of brake application and reduction of front torque.) Wouldn't it be nice to start with 90-100% rear and feed torque to the front as much as possible while maintaining neutral balance?
    More available torque will only make me wish harder for a modded torque split map!
    Dan
    LOL you just want it to be like your GTR. =P

I agree 100%. If you really are a father you must be a pretty badass dad!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL you just want it to be like your GTR. =P

I agree 100%. If you really are a father you must be a pretty badass dad!
    You're reading my mind on the torque split thing! And yes, 6 kids. One wife. Really.

Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys are in Austin?
    SlicktopTTZ,

Our headquarters is in Austin, TX. That's where our AccessPORT engineering, performance part engineering, R&D, customer service and warehouse is located. We also have retail sales and auto service colocated with them there. We have three other retail sales and service facilities in Plano, TX (COBB Tuning Plano), Portland, OR (COBB Tuning Surgeline) and Fountain Valley, CA, which is in the LA area (COBB Tuning SoCal). All of these facilities contribute to R&D as well.

The main R&D tuners we have working on the BMW AccessPORT is Lance Lucas in Austin, TX (who works alongside Rob Irish, our BMW ECU Guru) and Tim Bailey up in Portland, OR. But it would be most convenient and efficient to have an IS and 1M be in the Austin area.

Thanks,

Gary

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SlicktopTTZ,

Our headquarters is in Austin, TX. That's where our AccessPORT engineering, performance part engineering, R&D, customer service and warehouse is located. We also have retail sales and auto service colocated with them there. We have three other retail sales and service facilities in Plano, TX (COBB Tuning Plano), Portland, OR (COBB Tuning Surgeline) and Fountain Valley, CA, which is in the LA area (COBB Tuning SoCal). All of these facilities contribute to R&D as well.

The main R&D tuners we have working on the BMW AccessPORT is Lance Lucas in Austin, TX (who works alongside Rob Irish, our BMW ECU Guru) and Tim Bailey up in Portland, OR. But it would be most convenient and efficient to have an IS and 1M be in the Austin area.

Thanks,

Gary
    I'm looking into getting into a 1M as soon as possible, and I've considered moving up to Austin to either expand my HVAC career or get deeper into my passion for performance automobiles.

It really is a hard decision as I am 20 years old and can continue to further my father's HVAC business, or do something I truly love to do, modify internal combustion engines and sport vehicles. I would likely not even consider it work. I've even looked at positions at Boost Logic, but I don't really know where to start.

I have a background in light IT work, building science/thermal management, HVAC system engineering and data entry. I work on my vehicles in my spare time, and have done great amounts of research on my own in order to improve my knowledge of the automobile world. Given the data, I can work out most engine related formulas, and picked up how to plot an engine onto a compressor map for turbo selection.

I'm just curious, could Cobb ever use a person like me? What would you recommend me to do to get into the field? I would love to do work like you guys, AMS and Boost Logic do.

I work a lot with computer software and could most likely pick up computer modeling and fluid dynamics software fairly quick.

Or maybe one day I will have a nice AWD dyno of my own down here in Corpus Christi, next to our business, AC Distribution. With proper training, would it ever be possible for me to be part of the authorized Cobb dealer/tuner network?

Anyway, thanks for coming into the N54 market, we appreciate your work and dedication to improving your product.

Sincerely,

Chris Mundahl

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're reading my mind on the torque split thing! And yes, 6 kids. One wife. Really.

Dan
    mucho respecto!

does anybody realize the possibilities this product opens up?!?!?! you all should be STOKED! custom kits, custom tuning, custom engine builds, multiple maps, etc...
    Last edited by black bnr32; 01-12-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    does anybody realize the possibilities this product opens up?!?!?! you all should be STOKED! custom kits, custom tuning, custom engine builds, multiple maps, etc...
    We are all stoked, but is there still the issue of the 17 psi or so limit with the flash tune? If so, what good will it do for those wanting to run custom turbos with more boost?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    but is there still the issue of the 17 psi or so limit with the flash tune??
    Ahhh. I was not aware of this limitation. Interesting.
    Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well stage 1 is piece of cake and there are lots of them out . The real challenge is stage 2 upwards.
    By the way the limit is at 14.5 psi . after that you need to rewrite all new boost tables . so there is no limit (well is 22psi because of the TMAP Sensor) when you have passed the factory ECU limit.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would think they just flash the limit away. It was said first that flashes have a limit of 14.5 psi. There is always a way to lift the limits in tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Well stage 1 is piece of cake and there are lots of them out . The real challenge is stage 2 upwards.
    By the way the limit is at 14.5 psi . after that you need to rewrite all new boost tables . so there is no limit (well is 22psi because of the TMAP Sensor) when you have passed the factory ECU limit.
    Exactly and if you upgrade the TMap sensor, you can probably lift the 22psi limit as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Exactly and if you upgrade the TMap sensor, you can probably lift the 22psi limit as well.
    yeah but i doubt you can run more than 22psi on stock internals safely without lowering compression , adding fueling and running race gas / meth.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    yeah but i doubt you can run more than 22psi on stock internals safely without lowering compression , adding fueling and running race gas / meth.
    Of course, but this is more just future discussion on how the Cobb could be used for people who have custom built motor setups.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My AP arrived and, as I expected, the xi is not yet supported. ECU data is on it's way to Cobb.
    Gary,
    Any guesses for when xi support will be released?
    Thx,
    Dan
    Dan,

The AccessPORT should install on your Canadian model without issue. We are nearly complete with our XI testing and should be announcing XI support very soon.

Thanks,

Gary

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My AP arrived and, as I expected, the xi is not yet supported
    We just saw a vid of an xi accessport car running so how could it not be supported?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    different years/different firmware/ews

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    different years/different firmware/ews
    Could be... Mine's a 2009.
    The AP readout said it was identifying vehicle, then said it wasn't supported, and then offered to record ECU data.
    Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How does this tune read performance numbers?
    Does it have built in GPS? Accelerometers? How acurate is the data it puts out?
    Last edited by alpinedevil335; 01-23-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could be... Mine's a 2009.
    The AP readout said it was identifying vehicle, then said it wasn't supported, and then offered to record ECU data.
    Dan
    That's weird, so which year xi's are supported?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123