Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    led them for a quote to have my head sent to them and machined out + the enlarged exhaust valve and then sent back. The owner wasn't there but he has my name and number and is supposed to call me back. All the current installs have been loca
    We do have a total of 3x N54, 4x W11B16 R53 S, 1x N14B16, 1x S54 (E46 M3), 1x N55, etc...cylinder head cores. Just 1x N54 core it's completed & available for local install with exchange (might be able to send this one out, but debating as responsable setup/install/timing of end user garage issues to end up blaming same product). We currently have additional 2x N54 cores & would be done with the process of CNC for reduced time. Also, note there's also a hydro-formed camshaft that we will be testing with more duration & lift before deciding to push it out. At the moment, we have spent time for powered BMW N55 DME MEVD17.2 "Mild tune".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I will buy an upgraded head for my N54. There are already dozens of people that have full bolt-ons and upgraded turbos that will get their cars to the next power level this way. Add stock turboed full bolt-ons and there are hundreds or thousands of those. If you are the first to get the head upgrades rolling, you need to get a lot of cores in fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

First off thanks for bringing something totally new to the N54 market. New downpipes don't really excite anymore imho. With that said however, what are you talking about in terms of cost with the various options with/without install? Do you have any expected gains or dynos?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

No doubt power can be made with cams, thats if your head can flow. And it looks like the N54 head cannot flow at higher boost levels, so cams would be a waste until you got headwork, valvework, exhaust and intercooler upgrades.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    No doubt power can be made with cams, thats if your head can flow. And it looks like the N54 head cannot flow at higher boost levels, so cams would be a waste until you got headwork, valvework, exhaust and intercooler upgrades.
    From what I am seeing, headwork is a great area to improve on this motor and there are some solid options namely what m54b25 mentioned.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    We currently have additional 2x N54 cores & would be done with the process of CNC for reduced time. Also, note there's also a hydro-formed camshaft that we will be testing with more duration & lift before deciding to push it out.
    Would this be all that is needed for the engine to go well together with upgraded twins?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

i think upgraded twins and headwork would be easy 10s for this car... Its just sad the head is so asthmatic from the factory.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

i think upgraded twins and headwork would be easy 10s for this car... Its just sad the head is so asthmatic from the factory.
    I agree, more specifically the Rob Beck turbos. With the right headwork and cams we should see greater peak torque and power even with the same fuel limitations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is so special about the Jim Wolf cams? What exactly are insane top end gains?
    Jim Wolf is a pioneer and top-notch hardware developer for Nissans, and their VG30DETT products are some of the best. JUN is also at a similar level, and in some ways more hardcore, like their titanium parts and stroker kits ($$$$). JUN's street-car 300ZX (Z32) holds the E/BMS land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats. E = Engine size, 184-260 cid (3.01 to 4.26 liters), BMS = Blown, Modified Sports car. It went 260.8MPH!

The gains are going to depend on how far you go. You can only spin the motor so fast with the stock bottom end, but at 18psi with my two gt2560s I can expect gains of 50-60whp with no headwork, just JWT "Wild" cams and stiffer valve springs, only spinning to the stock limiter at 7200RPM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Details on upgraded headwork now available from PAW Motorsport: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...d-upgrade-3995
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

We currently have additional 2x N54 cores & would be done with the process of CNC for reduced time.
    Wow! You really are taking this seriously. The setup costs for CNC are not small...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Would this be all that is needed for the engine to go well together with upgraded twins?

No, PAW has found that stock intank fuel pump has trouble pushing past 400HP to the tire, it simply cannot put out the volume of fuel needed to supply the HPFP. They're currently working on a bolt in pump to be able to push the N54 to the next levels.

I've always said, with time, the N54 will be the next 2JZ.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Wow! You really are taking this seriously. The setup costs for CNC are not small...
    I've shopped around and been qouted for digitizing a head and having the rights to the headwork. Its not cheap nor is really expensive for they're doing when you think about it. After that it's pretty cheap to have a head CNC'ed and with a 3 day turn around.

Its not cheap as you stated. At least the pricey places won't try to sell your head as their house brands.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

$#@!, just unbolt the entire fuel system and plug up the injector holes. Run a port injected manifold and LPFP with standalone computer and be done with it. That is, if you can get the stock DME to not take a $#@! because it notices the engine is 'off' but you are going 90 mph!! weeee!!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Hmm.. just wanted to post some non-BMW heads. Toyota 2JZ heads done which are priced at +double of the price of a N54 Sport head work =)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

^ Helped you resize those pics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Nice work...

I remember in my old 5.0 mustang days, a brand new set of top of line heads were 1300 bucks. And they were good!!

Then again a brand new set of ceramic coated headers was 289.99 at summit, and a rear gear set and Eaton LSD differential was 499.99. People expect to pay those prices because they grew up seeing that...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    True. But those heads were for an engine block who's basic design has been around since the 60s and equipped in thousands and thousands of cars/trucks. AFR/Trickflow/FMS/etc. These heads still could benefit heavily from a good port job though. I am sure still made a killing because their production scale was so high despite being so cheap. The assembled heads though always seemed to have poor components (cheap springs/shims/retainers/keepers/etc). Plus there were only 16 very common valves. I havent held a N54 head yet, but alot of these DOHC heads are really difficult to assemble/disassemble as well as they are much more intricate. Turbocharging and the heat involved also makes material choices much more critical as well, especialy with the valves.

Those 5.0 headers were also generally a mild steel with poor weld quality and would often tweak out from heat and on a N/A car. And again mass produced. But yes, very fair priced. Then the gears/diff for the 8.8", one of the most common rear ends across Fords production line.

Its very hard to compare prices when you are talking about this kind of sales volume vs. what the N54 brings in its Niche market. The kicker though is that alot of us are attracted to doing things a little different, blazing our own trail to some extent... which brings an attraction to a car like this in the first place. In Cali it maybe different, but in the midwest there are very few people with these cars to begin with not to mention modded ones.

BTW, that Supra head looks super sexy... very nice work there.

Nice work...

I remember in my old 5.0 mustang days, a brand new set of top of line heads were 1300 bucks. And they were good!!

Then again a brand new set of ceramic coated headers was 289.99 at summit, and a rear gear set and Eaton LSD differential was 499.99. People expect to pay those prices because they grew up seeing that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Oh it goes both ways Rob, even modern 4V mustangs headers/headwork and cams are well into the thousands. Its not just 'BMW tax' it's straight up complexity. Just like you pointed out, the old ford 5.0 was designed actually in the 50s (Started out as a 260 cu-in engine then eventually a 289 then the 302 and 351W etc...) So they can sell millions of sets of heads, add to that the sheer simplicity and its a cheap deal.

Here is a picture of what 2 grand bought me for my 5.0 mustang...

Click here to enlarge

Aint that some $#@!??

AFR heads, Trickflow cam, FRPP hydro lifters, chain drive, 255 LPH fuel pump, head gaskets, ARP head bolts, Crane roller rockers etc...

Click here to enlarge

But guess what people, IT WAS A 5.0 MUSTANG WITH LIKE 4 MOVING PARTS, SO STOP $#@!IN' Click here to enlarge

I still dont know how you can even break even on those turbos Rob... $#@! is real nice for a low price, I hope you keep selling them.

EDIT: That mustang still runs to this day, I've owned it for 6 years and put hard miles on it with the setup shown above... Drove it 120 miles 3 days ago! Cant argue with the reliability :O

Sorry to get off topic, I just needed to emphasize the point. A cheap car needs cheap parts, an expensive car well; thats why its a BMW and not a 1991 mustang.
    Last edited by DBFIU; 02-07-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I remember in my old 5.0 mustang days, a brand new set of top of line heads were 1300 bucks. And they were good!! Then again a brand new set of ceramic coated headers was 289.99 at summit, and a rear gear set and Eaton LSD differential was 499.99. People expect to pay those prices because they grew up seeing that...
    Well, if you grew up in the Mopar camp with Max Wedge or Hemi... it would have been another story Click here to enlarge But, nice price for Ford SVT stuff! Today's bang for the buck it's still Chevy IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Well, if you grew up in the Mopar camp with Max Wedge or Hemi... it would have been another story Click here to enlarge
    426 hemi stuff wasnt cheap I'll give you that, small domestic niche group.. But not as bad as this german import stuff, and its understandably expensive; the engine alone probably has 1000 moving parts.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    BTW, that Supra head looks super sexy... very nice work there.
    Thanks! Now, if we could find a bad N54 head to discect with a bandsaw, we will truly know how far we can go. Also, the N55 comes with Intake 32mm valves vs. N54 Intake 31.44mm; both engine uses 84mm bore. I guess BMW by switching to N55 valvetronic system & redesigning the combustion chamber (improved valve unshrouding) It's able to get the intake valve flow better for since those valves are so closed to the cylinder bore walls (and avoid using a +85mm bore size)

BTW, will send your request soon Rob.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

I guess BMW by switching to N55 valvetronic system & redesigning the combustion chamber (improved valve unshrouding) It's able to get the intake valve flow better for since those valves are so closed to the cylinder bore walls (and avoid using a +85mm bore size)
    I think your guess is quite right and I am wondering if you guys will attempt an N55 head?

Will the valvetronic pose any concerns for upgrading the head?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    , if we could find a bad N54 head to discect with a bandsaw, we will truly know how far we can go. Also, the N55 comes with Intake 32mm valves vs. N54 Intake 31.44mm; both engine uses 84mm bore. I guess BMW by switching to N55 valvetronic system & redesigning the combustion chamber (improved valve unshrouding) It's able to get the intake valve flow better for since those valves are so closed to the cylinder bore walls (and avoid using a +85mm bore size)
    Well, N54 & N55 heads are not interchangeable with the blocks w/o major mods. But, we can learn alot from the N55 (ULEV2) newer design & apply some of the improvements in the N54 (ULEV). Also, the N55 has the best rod/stroke (Rod-lenght div stroke) design as well 144.35mm/89.6mm=1.611 r/s (makes it happier +7000rpm) vs. N54 135mm/89.6mm=1.506 r/s (runs happy up to ~6800rpm). Not even the S54 got that r/s (139mm/91mm=1.527) eventhou it could rev up to ~8400rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Well, N54 & N55 heads are not interchangeable with the blocks w/o major mods. But, we can learn alot from the N55 (ULEV2) newer design & apply some of the improvements in the N54 (ULEV). Also, the N55 has the best rod/stroke (Rod-lenght div stroke) design as well 144.35mm/89.6mm=1.611 r/s (makes it happier +7000rpm) vs. N54 135mm/89.6mm=1.506 r/s (runs happy up to ~6800rpm). Not even the S54 got that r/s (139mm/91mm=1.527) eventhou it could rev up to ~8400rpm.
    Sounds like the N55 has some potential as a great platform.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast