Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sick e30 Build! Great work! Subscribed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is an epic build. I really have to give mad props to the builder/fabricator on this project. I asked my tuner for a "guesstimat" for a turbo system for my E34 540i, and he said "Well, let's start at $15-20K, and then see where it takes us." So, in reality, we are talking about $25k for all intents and purposes. Now compare that to a S/C kit and you can see why S/C are more popular for the S62/M62 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    This is an epic build. I really have to give mad props to the builder/fabricator on this project. I asked my tuner for a "guesstimat" for a turbo system for my E34 540i, and he said "Well, let's start at $15-20K, and then see where it takes us." So, in reality, we are talking about $25k for all intents and purposes. Now compare that to a S/C kit and you can see why S/C are more popular for the S62/M62 Click here to enlarge
    Definitely true and not hard to see why SC's are the popular choice especially on the V8's.

However, I think when one is doing everything themselves like the OP is the cost is not as big of a factor, at least I hope not.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Definitely true and not hard to see why SC's are the popular choice especially on the V8's.

However, I think when one is doing everything themselves like the OP is the cost is not as big of a factor, at least I hope not.
    Very true. If I had the expertise, I would diff. try a turbo system. But also, what that added torque down low, everything would/should be re-inforced. Some turbo MBZ manuals cannot cope with the added twist and have to go automatic, as an example.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If everything goes well, engine structure wise, phase 2 will be expensive! I wasnt about to go all out on materials and hardware on an engine that is farely untested with this application and most people feel will come apart with any amount of real power. But i do have faith in what i do and i am BALLZY BALLZY.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Small update. I got the car out for a street tuning session and down low off boost it is very strong. Instant throttle response. I would say better than stock but maybe its the reduced car weight also. I kept it in low rpm's off boost and before any further tuning could be done my comp battery went dead. So a new comp battery is on its way and more tuning to soon follow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    Small update. I got the car out for a street tuning session and down low off boost it is very strong. Instant throttle response. I would say better than stock but maybe its the reduced car weight also. I kept it in low rpm's off boost and before any further tuning could be done my comp battery went dead. So a new comp battery is on its way and more tuning to soon follow.
    Thanks for the update.

What you are doing here and on your own is just incredible.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a build I'm extremely interested in because I really want to see what the alusil block can take with the "thicker" cylinder walls of the m62b44 compared to the S62. I'm really just a little concerned about the compression ratio at this point.... I think some forged lower compression pistons might be the one thing that's sort of necessary for a build like this unless you want to spin it up.

So anyway, are there any updates? Dying to know!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tjabo Click here to enlarge
    This is a build I'm extremely interested in because I really want to see what the alusil block can take with the "thicker" cylinder walls of the m62b44 compared to the S62. I'm really just a little concerned about the compression ratio at this point.... I think some forged lower compression pistons might be the one thing that's sort of necessary for a build like this unless you want to spin it up.

So anyway, are there any updates? Dying to know!
    No updates as of now. I havent even looked at the car in 3 months. I been so busy but i am about to get back to it. It has been apart for a some months. I am going to try and get it all together before winter hits and have some vids for you guys. I just need to get a few items. Thanks

As for your concerns, I understand. It is very concervative right now at ~4.5 psi. I really am not looking to blow the motor but i do want to see what power I will make with a stock motor, which is my reason for keeping it bone stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a real bonus to the community that you are willing to do this with a stock motor and see what it can take!

I've kind of revised my opinion on this a bit lately about how much boost the stock engines might tolerate with the aluminum cylinder walls helping to effectively convey the heat out of the combustion chamber, piston, rings, etc. I'm thinking it might have *some of* the same effect as aluminum heads do in that they allow for higher compression ratios than cast iron heads did, all other things constant. At any rate, with the ability to retard timing through the MS, and hopefully you are using a largish turbo setup that won't make the boost at too low of an RPM where the detonation threshold, you might find you're good to 9 or 10 psi. I think plug reading will be KEY for your tuning.

Additionally, I don't know if you are interested in using any or not, but I've found water/methanol injection to be an amazing thing for making power. On a stock motor it is even more critical in that it not only suppresses detonation, but it keeps temps down really nicely in the chamber, taking good care of cast pistons, ring lands and such.

At any rate, thanks for the update!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a real bonus to the community that you are willing to do this with a stock motor and see what it can take!

I've kind of revised my opinion on this a bit lately about how much boost the stock engines might tolerate with the aluminum cylinder walls helping to effectively convey the heat out of the combustion chamber, piston, rings, etc. I'm thinking it might have *some of* the same effect as aluminum heads do in that they allow for higher compression ratios than cast iron heads did, all other things constant. At any rate, with the ability to retard timing through the MS, and hopefully you are using a largish turbo setup that won't make the boost at too low of an RPM where the detonation threshold, you might find you're good to 9 or 10 psi. I think plug reading will be KEY for your tuning.

Additionally, I don't know if you are interested in using any or not, but I've found water/methanol injection to be an amazing thing for making power. On a stock motor it is even more critical in that it not only suppresses detonation, but it keeps temps down really nicely in the chamber, taking good care of cast pistons, ring lands and such.

At any rate, thanks for the update!!!
    The stock motors can handle a bit more than people think. Obviously double digit boost is not going to be something the stock internals were designed for but carefully upping the boost (and maybe a thicker head gasket) can allow for numbers people would not think were possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so sick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The purpose of the aluminum blocks and cylinder walls were to dispose a greater amount of heat and BMW set the actual normal running temps of some m62's up near 230* because of this. Detonation on a pure aluminum block is something that needs extra care and attention to avoid. I may use meth injection down the road for bigger power but i dont see the need for it now. As of the internals, I believe they are factory forged but the cams are hollow so they may be a weak point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The rods appear for all the world to be powder metal, but I guess I need to take another look at a piston to see if there's any chance they may actually be forged. I don't remember looking at them and being sure that they were cast...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok I was just researching the info on the internals. The pistons im not sure of but the rods and crank are forged but the crank on the M62 is hollow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can verify the hollow crank (throws if I recall correctly), and the engine builder at the sprint car shop I use for everything I can machining wise and such told me it was steel. The crank is really nice. I don't think powder metal rods are referred to as "forged" though, are they? Click here to enlarge Maybe, I guess...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I get a chance this weekend (50/50 chance of that), I will take some pics of the crank, a rod, and a piston. To be honest I can't remember if it was the rod journals or the main journals of the crank that were hollow, but I don't think it was both....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't have a chance to take pics yet, but I located a piston and rod for a quick inspection just now. I really think the piston is cast and the rod is a cracked cap, powder metal rod. Powder metal rods aren't all bad, but the piston doesn't look like it could handle any significant positive pressure detonation...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    subbed! very nice swap for sure
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't have a chance to take pics yet, but I located a piston and rod for a quick inspection just now. I really think the piston is cast and the rod is a cracked cap, powder metal rod. Powder metal rods aren't all bad, but the piston doesn't look like it could handle any significant positive pressure detonation...
    Maybe the site i got this info from is wrong. It said the rods are "forged sintered metal connecting rods". Im no metal expert. Thanks for the info in any case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe the site i got this info from is wrong. It said the rods are "forged sintered metal connecting rods". Im no metal expert. Thanks for the info in any case.
    Where did you get that info from?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It said the rods are "forged sintered metal connecting rods".
    I think maybe that is another (and maybe correct) way to say "powder metal rods." I'll try to elaborate later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where did you get that info from?
    pdf file:
    http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/M62%20Engine%20Details.pdf or search "M62 Details.pdf"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could you send me a PM? I had a question about the manifolds... Thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Updates?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast