Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ECU Flash Question

I was wondering why there are no vendors that offer the option top reflash your own ECU. A few years ago, I had a Subaru WRX that was tuned by Cobb Tuning here in SLC, UT. At the time, I received this AccessPORT that would allow me to add stage I, Stage II or revert to stock and then I had the option of Valet, Fuel Saver and Sport driving. See: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4503

I think that this would be a very cool option for any person wanting this type of ECU management flexibility. Any thoughts or input?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is the way the BMW S65 ECU works. There is one company working on something like the accessport but it is difficult. My friends have STI's and I am jealous how they can just dial in a map and go. With the M3 you have to have it flashed each time, you can't just switch maps.

The N54's for example use piggyback tuning so they can switch maps. No one is doing piggybacks for the S65.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully, one day there will be an option like this for the M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully, one day there will be an option like this for the M3.
    For the E46 M3 it only came with a standalone ECU. It can be done, but I also don't think the tuning companies are pushing for it as they would lose an extra layer of control.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One more question, If I flash my ECU and then take the car to the BMW dealer for service what happens. Will I lose my warranty?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    One more question, If I flash my ECU and then take the car to the BMW dealer for service what happens. Will I lose my warranty?
    No, you won't lose your warranty. You are protected by the Magnusson-Moss act and additionally they can't detect it but they can overwrite it.

They won't even be tempted to go out of their way to look for something like that unless it is a warranty issue in which case... flash it back to stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the reply. Should I wait until after break-in to flash?
    2011 E92 M3 - Space Gray, ZCP, ZTP, ZCW, ZPP, 2MK, 302, 5AC, 752 & more!!!!