Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E92 with M3 control arms / Tension rods (Advice needed)

I need some advice with the following issue. I have a bit of steering wheel shake and my alignment still does not feel correct ( the car wants to turn one way or the other harder than it "should" when turned in either direction).

I recently had the wheels rebalanced and the car aligned - competent shops in my area seem to be lacking.

The steering wheel shake was minimal before I had the m3 front control arms and tension rods put on the car (I did this as it is a common upgrade and I wanted to rule out a slightly bent control arm being responsible for the steering wheel shake).

During the alignment the toe was brought in and this took the deadly aspect of driving the car away. The shop claims that they put them to M3 specs - I'm not sure if this should be done or not - I admit that alignment / suspension issues are a weak spot for me.

Couple of questions: Does anyone believe that my suspension should be dialed in the front like an M3's would be since those components are on the car - or does something custom need to be come up with?

Also, aside from the specs of the toe and a solid alignment - what other parts of the car should I look into regarding the steering wheel shake that is annoying the crap out of me?

One other thing. Does anyone know a good shop for this kind of issue in preferably San diego, but, even orange county /LA?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a job for Matt@Camber-Toe.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You running oem or aftermarket wheels?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Aftermarket rims - should have noted that 19's staggered on Nitto Invo's with the HPA via Matt at Cambertoe Koni Yellow / Swift springs CO's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I would find some oem wheels/tires to test. That will help eliminate whether the steering wheel shake is coming from the wheels.

I went through a similar situation back in the day with my 5-series. I had multiple alignments done, wheel balances, etc. Every time I would put my stock wheels on the shake would go away, so I knew it was something with the wheels. Finally got it pinpointed down to a front wheel being slightly out of round.

There is a lot that can cause steering wheel shake: wrong center bore sizes(hub rings needed), tire out of round, wheel out of round, wheel out of balance, alignment problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks a lot ^ I will attempt to do the oem swap when my friends get back in town. I found out today that when my rims got powdercoated they forgot to put in a hubcentic ring as well. I had to custom order that today as well - new set of four. I appreciate the help

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You could definitely get the shaking you describe from the absence of the hubcentric rings. Will be interesting to see what resolves your problem - hope you can find the solution quickly!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    update?