Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

OE Tuning N54 flash

I went into the shop over the weekend to take advantage of their Holiday specials! I had my 5'er flashed on Saturday and since then this weather has not given me a chance to really test her out! Click here to enlarge. But from what I can tell my car feels great and the power seems to come on earlier and smoother. While I was there we had discovered that I need a new diverter valve, once I get that in the mail and installed I will head back down to the shop and hop on the dyno and post up the results. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cool, look forward to them, flashes offer a increase in power similar to the i->is upgrade. enjoy your increase in power and fun for a lot less money Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    cool, look forward to them, flashes offer a increase in power similar to the i->is upgrade. enjoy your increase in power and fun for a lot less money Click here to enlarge
    More than the i->is upgrade, midrange I gained 80hp and 90+tq, my damn diverter valve couldn't hold the boost up top so we will know a little more once i get an aftermarket one on. This flash takes me from the stock boost to 13.5-14psi.
    Im placing the order for the diverter valve today, so hopefully next week or early jan I can hop back on the dyno and have more accurate numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats on the flash but too bad you were not able to compare the JB4 first. Coming off a JB3 the JB4 is literally night and day. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Congrats on the flash but too bad you were not able to compare the JB4 first. Coming off a JB3 the JB4 is literally night and day. Click here to enlarge
    That is good to hear, Terry. I cant wait to see what it is like.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I know I got impatient, plus the deal they have going on right now was kinda hard to pass up. I still have major respect for what the BMS products can do, hell i've had almost all stages of the JB on my cars starting with the JB2 and JB+ on my old e90 and then the JB3 on my E60. I just wanted to give something different a try and so far Im rather impressed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No worries. Changing things around is part of the fun of modifying cars. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I understand that OE Tuning (Jeremy) is a great tuner no bashing or anything not trying to start a fight. He has done custom tunes like i've never seen before and he is the one that will be tuning my car with my 35r.

1- What I want to know is why you wouldnt go with another tune from a company that has largely processed and tested these files vigorously with countless R&D for near the same price if not less? and most likely will make more power.

I have APR tune on my GTI. my friend that has very similar mods as me, except an intercooler. he has downpipe, intake, catback and he has a tune from OE. both 6 speed manual.

we raced from roll @ round 30 mph- 100. he kept up for only about one second until i caught traction while we were in second gear. when we shifted to 3rd gear(we have same engines so i heard him shift a little after me ) i just pulled about 3 cars.. going into 4th about to pull more than 5 cars (in total) i pop the brakes cause it was obvious there was no chance. i dont think an intercooler would do anything near that performance gain

he dynoed 215hp on the gintani dyno. i got 230 on dynojet at HK motorsports w/o intercooler. < after telling me this i always thought he would rape me in a race cause i know the gintani dyno reads super low. even alex told me i wont be happy with dynoing at his shop that i wont even hit 200 hp. so thats why i went to HK to get dynoed.. so this in all. is he lying about his dyno hitting 215? i know he has a tune because i've raced other gtis stock and i raped them by around 10 cars.

2- congrats! and do you have the before and after dyno file? or did he just pop the file he had for the n54.

sorry for thread jacking kinda.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    I went into the shop over the weekend to take advantage of their Holiday specials! I had my 5'er flashed on Saturday and since then this weather has not given me a chance to really test her out! Click here to enlarge. But from what I can tell my car feels great and the power seems to come on earlier and smoother. While I was there we had discovered that I need a new diverter valve, once I get that in the mail and installed I will head back down to the shop and hop on the dyno and post up the results. Click here to enlarge
    Do you have the graphs?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    1- What I want to know is why you wouldnt go with another tune from a company that has largely processed and tested these files vigorously with countless R&D for near the same price if not less? and most likely will make more power.
    Flashes seem to deliver power a little differently. Maybe he wasn't going for max power? OE Tuning has had N54 files for a while now.

he dynoed 215hp on the gintani dyno. i got 230 on dynojet at HK motorsports w/o intercooler. < after telling me this i always thought he would rape me in a race cause i know the gintani dyno reads super low. even alex told me i wont be happy with dynoing at his shop that i wont even hit 200 hp. so thats why i went to HK to get dynoed.. so this in all. is he lying about his dyno hitting 215? i know he has a tune because i've raced other gtis stock and i raped them by around 10 cars.
    I don't think he is lying but that is surprising. This is why I hate dynodynamics, you need to ask what correction they were running.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In 09 J and I tested all of his files on an otherwise stock 135i. We decided on and tweaked and tweaked and it made 80whp and 80wtq consistently over baseline on a car with just intercooler and DCI. 386whp. Pretty strong if you ask me.

Fastgti - please ask questions before you talk out of your ass. This file was created in late 2006.
    Last edited by BrenM3; 12-23-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    In 09 J and I tested all of his files on an otherwise stock 135i. We decided on and tweaked and tweaked and it made 80whp and 80wtq consistently over baseline on a car with just intercooler and DCI. 386whp. Pretty strong if you ask me.

Fastgti - please ask questions before you talk out of your ass. This file was created in late 2006.

nice 80whp is a lot for tune
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Just cause the file was created in 06 does not mean anything.

I didnt mean to say that J never tested his stuff or anything like that, i was asking the OP why he made his decision. I'm sorry if you took my post in the wrong way, i dont mean to put OE down at all. His work shows the best out of him and its hard for one guy to say or show otherwise.

I never said his tune wouldnt make power, obviously J knows what he's doing but i'm talking in a saftey stand point. i dont think he or you did near as much R&D
    as other companys that are just dedicated to that file like JB. but i might be talking out of my ass as well, and i would like it to be cleared up.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I got the oe flash from Jeremy on my 335i. I was fully bolted with meth. I logged it with the BT scan tool and found that the throttle plate was closing ALL of the time. With or w/o meth made no difference. Boost was typically 12-14psi depending on temps. I'm guessing my dps, exhaust, ic, and dci made the boost come on too fast for the ecu to be happy and it closed the throttle. it was never fixed and Jeremy was unresponsive when I sent the logs of the runs. I would go with the jb4 or procede, or standback.
    Last edited by boom; 12-23-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You could have at least used a Procede in your argument. The R&D surpassed the JB as soon as the base timing tables were found and manipulated, LOL. That's no shot at JB but it really goes to show you what the flash can control further in "R+D"

JB has finely tuned the boost mapping portion probably further in their platform - especially with high boost. They did a good job.

Flash and piggys are different beasts.

Just cause the file was created in 06 does not mean anything.

I didnt mean to say that J never tested his stuff or anything like that, i was asking the OP why he made his decision. I'm sorry if you took my post in the wrong way, i dont mean to put OE down at all. His work shows the best out of him and its hard for one guy to say or show otherwise.

I never said his tune wouldnt make power, obviously J knows what he's doing but i'm talking in a saftey stand point. i dont think he or you did near as much R&D
    as other companys that are just dedicated to that file like JB. but i might be talking out of my ass as well, and i would like it to be cleared up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Boom - Email him and see if you can get the updated flash - there was a work around for that a while ago. Or if you are local etc. Tell him I sent you.
    Last edited by BrenM3; 12-23-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Up to what boost can OE Tuning tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Up to what boost can OE Tuning tune?
    This hasn't been found yet - but flash tuners tend to not push the limits as much as piggybacks, and choose more conservative boost. As their clients tend to race around tracks longer then a 1/4 mile and the car needs to stay together. OE has a high boost file that is far beyond the magical 14psi limit. Most people don't realize getting around that isn't a big deal. If you have the right tools.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This hasn't been found yet - but flash tuners tend to not push the limits as much as piggybacks, and choose more conservative boost. As their clients tend to race around tracks longer then a 1/4 mile and the car needs to stay together. OE has a high boost file that is far beyond the magical 14psi limit. Most people don't realize getting around that isn't a big deal. If you have the right tools.
    Is there a boost limit with the flash?

Why can't flashes make the same power as the piggy's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did a little flash tuning with the Dimsport package just using their off the shelf table locations. It's a major pita. You can crank out a 14psi map pretty easily with a rich air/fuel and low timing set points, but getting over that boost level without throttle closure wasn't easily possible with the tables they had located. And finding tables is a major pita. Even the "really good" high boost flash tunes with whatever tables they've found over the years have bogging and throttle closure problems at the high boost levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is there a boost limit with the flash?

Why can't flashes make the same power as the piggy's?
    Terry pretty much summed it up. With the commercial tables that are available you can only boost to a certain extent prior to having to change tables that most tuners do not have or the support franchises such as Dimsport have not figured out. I suspect GIAC has found the way around this although I have not seen the insides of one of there files. The point there Stage 2+ is like the next step of the tuning barrier. Higher than 17psi needs further software changes. The main problem is that the cars start throwing torque faults and the way around this is very complex in terms of programming. To date I only know of two tuners that can do any boost on demand and they do not even sell those files commercially in order to avoid piracy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Terry pretty much summed it up. With the commercial tables that are available you can only boost to a certain extent prior to having to change tables that most tuners do not have or the support franchises such as Dimsport have not figured out. I suspect GIAC has found the way around this although I have not seen the insides of one of there files. The point there Stage 2+ is like the next step of the tuning barrier. Higher than 17psi needs further software changes. The main problem is that the cars start throwing torque faults and the way around this is very complex in terms of programming. To date I only know of two tuners that can do any boost on demand and they do not even sell those files commercially in order to avoid piracy.
    Who are the tuners?

Secondly, the torque levels can be raised I would think, right?

Giac is still limited to 17psi? What about OE Tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like I said. Proper tools. Not a fisher price dimisport. Click here to enlarge

BG

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dimsport really is just a loading mechanism. You can use winols or whatever editor you want with the files. The challenge is still finding the tables you need.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct, table allocation and flash tools that pull different or larger areas of the hex is what seperates the good from the GREAT.

Click here to enlarge

BG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast