Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

10 Years of BMW's and Loving Them !

Just spent the last month racking up the miles on my newly acquired 08 335xi 6MT. At first I was a little nervous getting a Twin Turbo as I have always driven NA BMW's....never had a turbo on any car in my life.

Most people think I'm an idiot selling the E46 M3 to get this smooth sedan, however after about 5,000 miles of fun filled driving I feel the N54/E90 platform is one well put together product and I am extremely happy with her!

Not only happy with the product, but the ability to tune this product little by little leaves a lot of fun down the road.

My impressions so far, as compared to all the other BMW's I've owned, is this car is so smooth, shifts are silky smooth, and power is sweet! I do have DCI and Jb3, Map 5 (93octane) and about 30F of weather. I am averaging 24 mpg with a lot of fun highway driving..you know, waiting until someone finally moves out of the passing lane at about 75 mph and I drop into 5th and punch it......whooooaaaaa....look down as I'm passing the car and I'm just about 100 mph quickly. I keep catching myself well into triple digits and I don't even realize it.

I'm on a mission, as with all my other BMW's that I buy with used, to see If I can get another 100K of life out of her with some good maintenance and love. So far, even reading all the horror stories of how expensive this car is to fix, turbo problems, HPFP issues, etc. etc.....the more and more I drive this well engineered car, the more confident of it's reliability.

The more and more I read about the DIY on this car, the more confident that I can get this car upwards of 200,000 miles without anything serious happening. I just thought I would post some positive input on the E9X N54 in case someone out there is reading the negative and passing on a great car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I still think you are crazy for dumping the E46 M3 but I appreciate your writeup. Hopefully the HPFP will be resolved at some point but glad to hear you intend to keep your sedan for so long, nice to see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sticky....I hear you.....just a situation that needed to be addressed...it was tough using the M3 for business purposes...couldn't afford to just keep it as a weekend car either so I sold it back to the guy I bought it from. I enjoy being able to talk on the phone with customers with out the Borla rumble on the M3....LOL....oh wait customer, let me close the sun roof too. There have been times I miss my M3....just about anytime I really want to get crazy and get that rear end coming around......but I am having just as much fun with the 4x4 400 hp power house. It is kind of nice not having too many racers pulling up beside me in the m3....now they pull up and question if I am tuned or not...lol. Either way M3's rule....this car rules too....sleeper ! Really not too worried about HFPF as you can pick them up for about $200....I just really dont want to drop my car off at the dealership to have them mess with my car to fix a pump under warranty....for me it's worth me just doing it....if it will be needed replaced in the future.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E36graduate Click here to enlarge
    Sticky....I hear you.....just a situation that needed to be addressed...it was tough using the M3 for business purposes...couldn't afford to just keep it as a weekend car either so I sold it back to the guy I bought it from. I enjoy being able to talk on the phone with customers with out the Borla rumble on the M3....LOL....oh wait customer, let me close the sun roof too. There have been times I miss my M3....just about anytime I really want to get crazy and get that rear end coming around......but I am having just as much fun with the 4x4 400 hp power house. It is kind of nice not having too many racers pulling up beside me in the m3....now they pull up and question if I am tuned or not...lol. Either way M3's rule....this car rules too....sleeper ! Really not too worried about HFPF as you can pick them up for about $200....I just really dont want to drop my car off at the dealership to have them mess with my car to fix a pump under warranty....for me it's worth me just doing it....if it will be needed replaced in the future.
    I hear ya, the sedan makes much more sense in your case and seems to be a bit more mature fitting what you are looking for.

I'm obnoxious and so is my car Click here to enlarge