Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    is this really nothing more than a 135is with a bunch of M parts?
    Yes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

that's good for is drivers. more aftermarket stuff for them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    car looks nice, but the car itself is stupid... i think this is more of the bean counters of BMW wanting to squeeze more profits outta the E82 platform than the M division itself.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Good looking car. I was excited at first when it was announced it had the N54 but I am now coming more into Sticky's line of thinking.

I will likey wait unit the new M3 comes out before I decide what I will be going for next. It just does not seem worth it for me to move out of my fully modded 135i into this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this car must stop on a dime, m3 brakes ftw

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

if i were a 1'er owner, the only reason i would switch is for the interiror really...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this car with jb4 downpipes and race gas would be a $#@!ing monster

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    this car with jb4 downpipes and race gas would be a $#@!ing monster
    Yep, just like all the N54 135's' out there with JB's, race gas, and downpipes...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, just like all the N54 135's' out there with JB's, race gas, and downpipes...
    I have to disagree, man. You're not factoring in suspension tuning and geometry, brakes, and other M goods that are standard....

I know ur bummed about the N54 being in an ///M branded car... as a very old school M guy, I get it, I really do. But that aside there is a lot over a 135 when you look at the entire package. And I'm willing to bet that this car will gladly handle the additional 100+ whp with much more poise and balance over a 135i, and that would also make it a ton more fun to drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    I have to disagree, man. You're not factoring in suspension tuning and geometry, brakes, and other M goods that are standard....
    Yes I am, goods just taken from the M3. Nothing engineered for this car, just stolen from other M cars to keep costs down and people are blinded by it.

The entire package is a great package, for a 135is. This is brand dilution at work, they NEVER would have done something like this even a few years ago.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    jesus Sticky stop beign such a fagg. Its the best car BMW is going to be offering in US in terms of performance. Like he said this would handle the the power that comes with heavy tuning better than the 135i. They gave it the chassis the N54 deserved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    yes apparently M cars are about looks because thats the only thing the M3 has over the 335i
    While on some things I totally disagree with you, I'm 100% with you on this one..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    jesus Sticky stop beign such a fagg. Its the best car BMW is going to be offering in US in terms of performance. Like he said this would handle the the power that comes with heavy tuning better than the 135i. They gave it the chassis the N54 deserved.
    The N54 deserved an LSD, all BMW's do.

I simply believe an M deserves more than the same motor that was already in base 335's and Z4's. If the car is just about handling and looks, make it a 135is or offer an M-sport package.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    While on some things I totally disagree with you, I'm 100% with you on this one..
    Then why are you running 119 on boost and M3's are running 130+ on less boost? One is a much stronger platform than the other, the M3 has a lot more to offer just people can't justify the $ or they would have it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

335i is a puppy compared to an m3?? Why, suspension bits? Please...sticky, glad you like your m3 so much but why did you mod it then?? We have no idea how far this "puppy" can be modded (n54 motor i mean) ... With my m3 suspension bits all I'm missing is an m badge on my 335i, not that I'd ever slap it on...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    335i is a puppy compared to an m3?? Why, suspension bits? Please...sticky, glad you like your m3 so much but why did you mod it then?? We have no idea how far this "puppy" can be modded (n54 motor i mean) ... With my m3 suspension bits all I'm missing is an m badge on my 335i, not that I'd ever slap it on...
    I bought it because they are so strong when modded. I haven't seen any 1000 hp N54's, have you? The E46 M3 is the strongest BMW out there right now. The M3, not the 330. Just like the M3 is the strongest E9X.

What you are missing is a real M motor. That is what you used to get with M and something that made those models stand out. Some of the best NA engines ever made that with boost are just ridiculous. That is why I don't compare the two, there is no comparison.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

why is this such a heated debate?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

oh I know. It's because of Sticky

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

oh I know. It's because of Sticky
    Well of course.

I like the car, I like it. I just think we deserved more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well of course.

I like the car, I like it. I just think we deserved more.
    you're right. not enough M badges.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

you're right. not enough M badges.
    They are selling those as options now. You can get them on any car in the lineup anywhere you want. For enough cash, they will sell you M shaped exhaust tips.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think this is a valid debate. If it was my way, and I was BMW, I would have shad a 3.5L n54 with a rev limit of 8k rPm... That would have been M enough I think.

Sticky, the problem now is very bureaucratic. You have the m5/6 at the top and they need to be faster and more powerful than all other M cars. Then you have the M3 who suffers from this dilemma. Then you introduce an entry level M car for the masses... As bmw You don't want to upset the m3 owners by making a cheaper car faster or quicker or even rival the power. And you have a proven engine like the n54 tHat can be tuned (not just for power) to behave very differently and please the n54 crowd as well as newcomers and you have a killer recipe.

So the 1M CAN'T be a better car because it is tied down by marketing and it's BS..

I honestly wished to see a new iteration of the N54/55 with >3.0 L and possibly VTG like in the 911 turbos. That would have shown progress and made the future Ms seem more appealing.

Oh and in stock form you have to give the 1M a shot. You might be surprised!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, the problem now is very bureaucratic. You have the m5/6 at the top and they need to be faster and more powerful than all other M cars. Then you have the M3 who suffers from this dilemma. Then you introduce an entry level M car for the masses... As bmw You don't want to upset the m3 owners by making a cheaper car faster or quicker or even rival the power. And you have a proven engine like the n54 tHat can be tuned (not just for power) to behave very differently and please the n54 crowd as well as newcomers and you have a killer recipe.
    Absolutely, this is a key point.

However, if it isn't about HP then why didn't they give it a great NA 4 cylinder? Some screaming S14 successor that is a real M powerplant so that these E30 M3 comparisons could be worthy? Ok, that may be a bit much but why not at least what you suggested? A higher revving N54? Why not at least something? Different turbos? Even a different tune for crying out loud. NOTHING? Seriously, not a damn thing? It is blatant cutting of corners that has nothing to do with maintaining the hierarchy but with maintaining profits.

So the 1M CAN'T be a better car because it is tied down by marketing and it's BS..
    You hit another great point here, agreed.

Oh and in stock form you have to give the 1M a shot. You might be surprised!
    I know I would like it. It still would be a parts bin abortion that goes against all that M has held holy, but I would like driving it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

if the power scheme is a big deal, and things come out bigger and better every evolution, and if the new m3 is getting FI, then why wouldnt BMW see this as the opportunity to start over. make the 1m badass, and the next m3 even more badass, and so-on.. instead of worrying about stepping on your dick on the already released generation, say $#@! it, and just make the next one known to be stronger.. that says to the consumer, you can get badass now in this, or wait and get even more sick later..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast