Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brake Upgrade Suggestions

I am looking to track the car a few weekends per year and want to upgrade the brakes. What do you guys suggest for brake kits. I need to be able to drive the car most of the time on the street.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok here is a link to give you an idea...not sure on all the brands and how reputable they are... just gives you some companies to look at..
    http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...7&autoModClar=

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

well there's always the matter of price, and what will fit inside your rims. Ive seen Brembo, Alcon, AP, Stoptech to be common BBKs people choose.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had hawk xp's on a 350Z that worked well, so I may get a set of those with some slotted rotors. I would think the weight of the E93 will be hard on the brakes. Would love to hear from someone who has tracked one and their experience with the brakes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

for the money I hear stoptechs are great. Much cheaper than Brembo and I hear they are as good. GMG used stoptech on their GT3 race cars
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Aren't there some direct upgrade kits he can purchase from one of our vendors?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    As an alternative to a BBK these brakes are being reviewed very well. Debating them for myself

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Racing Brake 2 Piece 335i Front Rotors

Description

Click here to enlarge

Rotor Material: Racing Formula Alloyed Gray Iron & Heat treated
    Machining: Open Slot
    Surface: EDP Coating w/cross cut grinding on friction surface

Weight Comparison
    One-piece (when new) 23.75 lbs.
    RB Two-piece 19.75 lbs.
    Weight Savings: 4 lbs.
    Material:
    Alloyed iron formula adds strength and heat resistance. Heat treating further improves rotor performance for a more uniform and stabilized microstructure.
    Design:
    The cooling vanes are of a convergent nozzle design, which increases airflow and turbulence and makes discs cooler. (Illustration #1)

Click here to enlarge

The center-mount flanges for hat mounting to the rotor ring have several benefits. (Illustration #2)

Click here to enlarge

-It allows the ring to be used on either side of the vehicle simply by mounting the hat on either side of the ring (unidirectional).
    -The stress load transferred from the ring to the hat is balanced.
    -Air inlets are widely open to both inboard and outboard sides of the rotor. More air suctions and even temperature on both sides of the disc surface.
    -Heat transfer from the disc surfaces to the hat is even and minimized by increasing the flange length and the airflow around the flanges.
    -Mounting flanges are on both friction surfaces ultimately provides excellent heat balance.

Exclusive full floating design with 10.9 grade alloyed hardware. Hardware is DACRO coated and crimp locking. DACRO is highly corrosion resistant and provides a film for easier movement between the hat and rotor ring as disc expands and contracts and the crimp design provides positive engagement without rattling or torque loss at temperature.

Fasteners:
    Self Locking - 2 Pieces
    No springs, No glue, No clips!

4-6 Week Delivery Time from 12/1/2010

Price is for two. ($899.94 with free shipping currently)

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=188
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Im thinking of doing those myself...but at $800 a set its tough..Ive got other mods Im putting on right now that are higher priority than doing brakes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Honestly I've never induced brake fade myself, but I don't auto cross and I prefer long road courses (the Ring ftw). On the same note 8lbs less unsprung rotating mass is pretty sick for dramatically better brakes. The reviewers/beta testers have also said they are getting about 3x life out of the rotors and longer pad life so it does help lower the cost some. Also, when I upgrade my brakes it better than the pure ascetics of drilled/dimped rotors. Might as well get 95% of the performance benefit of a BBK while looking good in my humble opinion
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That looks like it might be a pretty good upgrade for the money. Ever used the vendor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    As an alternative to a BBK these brakes are being reviewed very well. Debating them for myself

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/783.jpg

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/784.jpg

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/785.jpg

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/786.jpg

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/787.jpg

Racing Brake 2 Piece 335i Front Rotors

Description

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/788.jpg

Rotor Material: Racing Formula Alloyed Gray Iron & Heat treated
    Machining: Open Slot
    Surface: EDP Coating w/cross cut grinding on friction surface

Weight Comparison
    One-piece (when new) 23.75 lbs.
    RB Two-piece 19.75 lbs.
    Weight Savings: 4 lbs.
    Material:
    Alloyed iron formula adds strength and heat resistance. Heat treating further improves rotor performance for a more uniform and stabilized microstructure.
    Design:
    The cooling vanes are of a convergent nozzle design, which increases airflow and turbulence and makes discs cooler. (Illustration #1)

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/789.jpg

The center-mount flanges for hat mounting to the rotor ring have several benefits. (Illustration #2)

http://bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/12/790.jpg

-It allows the ring to be used on either side of the vehicle simply by mounting the hat on either side of the ring (unidirectional).
    -The stress load transferred from the ring to the hat is balanced.
    -Air inlets are widely open to both inboard and outboard sides of the rotor. More air suctions and even temperature on both sides of the disc surface.
    -Heat transfer from the disc surfaces to the hat is even and minimized by increasing the flange length and the airflow around the flanges.
    -Mounting flanges are on both friction surfaces ultimately provides excellent heat balance.

Exclusive full floating design with 10.9 grade alloyed hardware. Hardware is DACRO coated and crimp locking. DACRO is highly corrosion resistant and provides a film for easier movement between the hat and rotor ring as disc expands and contracts and the crimp design provides positive engagement without rattling or torque loss at temperature.

Fasteners:
    Self Locking - 2 Pieces
    No springs, No glue, No clips!

4-6 Week Delivery Time from 12/1/2010

Price is for two. ($899.94 with free shipping currently)

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=188
    Have not heard of these guys before but that seems like a great option...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Centex Hokie Click here to enlarge
    That looks like it might be a pretty good upgrade for the money. Ever used the vendor?
    I've never used RacingBrake myself, but HP Autowerks really is a quality vendor. They are probably the only outspoken vendor in the E9x community that points out the problems with KW suspension. They are all about top notch products. They do pretty much always sell at retail so if you are thinking about something they carry, you should take advantage of the promotion.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I can vouch for HP Autowerks myself. I stopped selling KW and FK units to my customers in favor of Koni Yellow/Koni Double Adjustables with Swift Spring conversion and have sold plenty of kits to date. I have yet to have one person say anything bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    They are probably the only outspoken vendor in the E9x community that points out the problems with KW suspension.
    I respect that, tremendously.

Although Matt@Camber-Toe has also mentioned the issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Its funny how a members post gets deleted but when myself or HPA puts down KW, our posts remain.

Guess its best not to bite the hand that feeds you. But even they sway from this....otherwise Terry would still be there.

Hes better off here anyway Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    otherwise Terry would still be there.
    They can subsidize the loss by charging Vishnu more due to the benefit it provides them... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My mistake for missing Matt there. I know I appreciate you helping get the honest word out there about suspension because I know when I first started looking at suspension options I was sold on v3's lol. It's just so overwhelming over there. So many outspoken and respected members swear by KW over there it's blinding.

On a side note I just saw HP Autowerks is running a pre-order special for the Racing Brakes I posted. They are currently $739.95 (no, not $740, that nickel is important) shipped until 15 Feb 2011, when they expect to have them in stock. At least for me although it's not a huge drop it does seem more palatable.
    original thread here
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

General notes:

First, change the pads and brake fluid. This is much cheaper than a BBK. It may be all you need for occasional track use. Some swear by steel braided brake lines too. I've been there, done that and notice absolutely no difference.

Second, make sure there is enough air flowing around to cool the brakes. You can rig up a DIY solution with hose. You may need to buy or hack up on the backing plate to go full out on this. I think the 335 is better than the M3 on this. But there seem to be vendors now that are starting to make parts to help you do this even with the M3.

Third, there are upgraded rotor replacements. One was mentioned above. But also look up Performance Friction.

Lastly, get a BBK. These are far more expensive. But, they do work. These are for serious track rats, folks looking for more bling, and those with too much money.
    Last edited by ersin; 01-30-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: sp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
    Third, there are upgraded rotor replacements. One was mentioned above. But also look up Performance Friction.
    Performance friction is a good suggestion, I believe they have just bolt in rotor replacements that work with the stock calipers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Performance friction is a good suggestion, I believe they have just bolt in rotor replacements that work with the stock calipers.
    Exactly. I've heard good things about them except the pads (both street and track): it seems there's no anti-rattle spring. Not an unsafe thing; just makes it noisy. And I'm sure you all hate rattles as much as I. However, I have no first-hand experience with them, but I may give them a try this summer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I agree with SSDD and Matt. RacingBrake rotors seems to be a nice way to upgrade the brakes. I ordered Cool Carbon pads (available from e.g. EAS) but decided to wait for having decent rotors that can take the heat of the CC pads that are quite hard on the stock rotors. So I'm likely to order racingbrake rotors to go with Cool Carbon pads.