Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Eugene-Taiwan Gpwr 60-130 in a 6MT

Hi Guys,

I am been stuck in RAIN and more RAIN in Taiwan its actually been raining for 8 days now and I felt like $#@!! But this morning when I woke up my praying worked. I saw sunshine finally SUN
    so the first thing we did was I got my car washed then waiting until the pavement dried up well enough to go out and so some clean runs. I had my v-box and my Gopro(thanks Eric PYspeed) so I was set to go

Mind you my times are slower then all the reported DCT cars but my car is 6MT so I lost time there. I think the ESS car did it in 8.56 secs. and Sammy's car did it in 8.95 secs. The only think I felt made the big difference with the DCT cars is the Bigglare has 3.62DIFF (please correct me if I am wrong). So this will help with acceleration. I think I am the only one thus far in a 6MT who has done a 60-130 in an s/c kit. But I think Brian's car (Gintani) will be faster then mine. He has more HP and also lighter in curb weight as well which will really help out. getting off the rolling start.

I am currently using RE-11's Bridgestone which I think have enough grip to hold the pwr. On one of my runs which I started off 2nd I felt there was slip but good enough no skretching but felt a little slip (which I think is good) I am only running 275/30/19 on my car which I feel is a good size. So for all the people who want to go smaller but in bigger diameter I don't feel there is a need.

The Temp. was 66.2F which is a good temp. I think if I was in a colder environment I would have done better. I am getting a clutch set up in a couple of months don't know if that will make a difference. I don't think so but you never know when you have lots of HP

I thought I made a 9.0 sec flat run but I think I was mistaken or I am missing some v-box files. But the only one I could locate was 9.29 secs which also made me very happy. I thought I would end up to be around 9.95 secs. but 9.29 is very good. So I am happy with the result so far. I also tried to shift as fast as I could you guys can judge in the vids below tips on how to shift faster is always welcomed

Click here to enlarge
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    3.62 on DCTwill hurt top end in 60-130. Sammy's car is more than capable of low 8's and I would love to help him with that if he is cool with it. Sammy, you can use my drag radials bud, no problem. Really, it boils down to traction for the DCT down low.

The humidity probably hurt you a little bit due to the rain. When it is dry out try again, and see if you can source some race gas although yours is higher octane to begin with.

Great runs and thank you for posting Eugene.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eugene, that's a 3 second improvement over your NA times! Fantastic job, send me the files for verification!
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    Bolt Ons - Best ET 11.88 Best Trap Speed 119.8 MPH
    60-130 MPH (3 shifts) 10.71s
    Gintani Stage 2+ Supercharger 60-130MPH (3 shifts) 7.06s
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eugene, good work brother! glad to see you enjoying your kit...and getting out there and hitting some runs....im surprised you think your 275 tires are enough?!?! although im sure you RE-11s are much gripper than my 285 falkens...which i took a shot of a day after i did my vbox runs....9.29 seems good...im sure you will get faster times with more practice.
    its good to have another party shooting for good 60-130...you gota rep for G-power!
    here were my F*cked tires!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm going with the RE11's! 235's though.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The best part about this is that it clearly shows that Jon and Tightie were saying about the G-power tune being revised were true.

I hate how everyone tried to dump all over when it was being sold, the hardware clearly can work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
    Eugene, that's a 3 second improvement over your NA times! Fantastic job, send me the files for verification!
    I would love to DREW but how? you have email ? let me know

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think RE-11s or AD08 are both very good choices if you ask me.

I just think the RE-11s look better like the sidewalls and tread. AD08 looks more normal to me.

also the RE-11s have a stiff sidewall so if may give you good firmness about the bends as well unlike the PS2 or European tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    I would love to DREW but how? you have email ? let me know
    Email me all of the DBN or Vbox files on the Flash Card to: Affinityf@aol.com
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    goodmorning DREW!

your ealier then the rest of the guys

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    3.62 on DCTwill hurt top end in 60-130. Sammy's car is more than capable of low 8's and I would love to help him with that if he is cool with it. Sammy, you can use my drag radials bud, no problem. Really, it boils down to traction for the DCT down low.

The humidity probably hurt you a little bit due to the rain. When it is dry out try again, and see if you can source some race gas although yours is higher octane to begin with.

Great runs and thank you for posting Eugene.
    J, the 3.62's helped biglare's time, he still has to shift 3 times like we do!

Here's a nice write up that explains why.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=95653

And a Vbox comparison

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=119367
    Last edited by DLSJ5; 02-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking of the same thing Drew! But I also understand that Sticky have tried it out himself.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice run Eugene. That stretch of road you were on is sweet and no traffic to boot!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You hit a 9.01 on a -0.88 decline, with 2 shifts, nice Job Eugene!

Click here to enlarge
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeThanks! Guys I think I might have to try some race fuel..... I just feel the car can be faster

I think you guys feel me here!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    J, the 3.62's helped biglare's time, he still has to shift 3 times like we do!

Here's a nice write up that explains why.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=95653

And a Vbox comparison

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=119367
    I disagree and the E46 diff does not apply.

I have tested the 3.62's at the strip and from a roll racing other cars, so I have pretty good experience with it.

He still has to shift 3 times but he is at a lower average torque level @ the axle. He has more torque for a shorter period of time.

The E46 M3 has 6 gears and 3.62 stock. The DCT for example would be faster top end if it had a longer 3rd like the 6 speed. Once the DCT shifts into fourth, it loses its advantage over the manual and the manual now has much more torque at the axle.

At famoso I barely hit 114 with the 3.62's... at Sac and Famoso with the stock gearing I cracked 115 several times. So, I disagree on the 3.62 helping and when Sammy has traction I think he will prove it Click here to enlarge

I'm also planning on going to longer gearing, so we will see Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I disagree and the E46 diff does not apply.

I have tested the 3.62's at the strip and from a roll racing other cars, so I have a pretty good experience with it.

He still has to shift 3 times but he is at a lower average torque level @ the axle. He has more torque for a shorter period of time.

The E46 M3 has 6 gears and 3.62 stock. The DCT for example would be faster top end if it had a longer 3rd like the 6 speed. Once the DCT shifts into fourth, it loses its advantage over the manual and the manual now has much more torque at the axle.

At famoso I barely hit 114 with the 3.62's... at Sac and Famoso with the stock gearing I cracked 115 several times. So, I disagree on the 3.62 helping and when Sammy has traction I think he will prove it Click here to enlarge

I'm also planning on going to longer gearing, so we will see Click here to enlarge
    I don't think it matters what car Bro, shorter gears should accelerate your car faster, especially with DCT as you don't loose much when you shift. You will loose top end, meaning top speed, lol, but who goes that fast? I'm not sure why you got the results you did, I remember you saying you didn't see an improvement at the track, maybe it was because of conditions?

I remember E46 owners telling me not to get the 3.91's that they don't do anything, but they did help a bit, but not a lot, my main point is at the very least they didn't hurt and I had 1 extra shift, don't think Larry does here.

Sammy's car can do better because he was spinning. I have no plans to get the 3.62's and with all the power from a charger I don't think you need them, but I highly doubt they hurt biglare's time, because it appears that he had no traction issues, like Sammy did.
    Last edited by DLSJ5; 02-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think it matters what car Bro, shorter gears should accelerate your car faster, especially with DCT as you don't loose much when you shift. You will loose top end, meaning top speed, lol, but who goes that fast? I'm not sure why you got the results you did, I remember you saying you didn't see an improvement at the track, maybe it was because of conditions?

I remember E46 owners telling me not to get the 3.91's that they don't do anything, but they did help a bit, but not a lot, my main point is at the very least they didn't hurt and I had 1 extra shift, don't think Larry does here.

Sammy's car can do better because he was spinning. I have no plans to get the 3.62's and with all the power from a charger I don't think you need them, but I highly doubt they hurt biglare's time, because it appears that he had no traction issues, like Sammy did.
    Yes Drew, that is what I used to think as well. You don't just lose top speed.

You will not accelerate as fast in 4th gear at 95 mph as you would in 3rd at 95 mph because you have far less torque @ the axle.

This graph illustrates what I am saying:

Click here to enlarge

Look at 87-97 mph, the 6 speed has a very nice advantage there once the DCT shifts into 4th.

As you go to higher gears, even though the shift speed is super fast, you will not accelerate as fast in 4th as you can in 3rd no matter what the speed is as you are making less torque at the axle in that gear. Do you understand what I am saying?

I have run the same car from a roll when I had the 3.62 Drew, with the stock gearing I was stronger up top and the 1/4 mile results reflect it as does the paper data.

For our gearing, it hurts. It helps on the E46 because of its gearing, very application dependent and the E46 results have better correlation for a manual E92 going to shorter gearing than the DCT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes Drew, that is what I used to think as well. You don't just lose top speed.

You will not accelerate as fast in 4th gear at 95 mph as you would in 3rd at 95 mph because you have far less torque @ the axle.

This graph illustrates what I am saying:

Look at 87-97 mph, the 6 speed has a very nice advantage there once the DCT shifts into 4th.

As you go to higher gears, even though the shift speed is super fast, you will not accelerate as fast in 4th as you can in 3rd no matter what the speed is as you are making less torque at the axle in that gear. Do you understand what I am saying?

I have run the same car from a roll when I had the 3.62 Drew, with the stock gearing I was stronger up top and the 1/4 mile results reflect it as does the paper data.

For our gearing, it hurts. It helps on the E46 because of its gearing, very application dependent and the E46 results have better correlation for a manual E92 going to shorter gearing than the DCT.
    Bro,I agree the gains you get are minimal and you didn't see any fair enough, but mathmatically you do not loose acceleration with shorter gears it does not matter if it's the E46 or my old mustang, or the E92, but in that graph you are comparing a 6MT with a DCT, you should be comparing all the DCT ratio's as a reference for each speed.

Click here to enlarge

From all the reviews I've read on the 3.62's people say their cars are faster, lol, but I know butt dyno's don't mean much. Not that Dinan is the God of BMW's, lol, some think they are the devil, haha, here's what Dinan says about the 3.62's:

Dinan lowers the stock 3.15 final drive ratio to a 3.62, taking full advantage of torque multiplication for an eye opening 14.9% increase in torque delivered to the road! The improved acceleration comes with only a minor increase in engine speed at cruise.
    Last edited by DLSJ5; 02-21-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bro,I agree the gains you get are minimal and you didn't see any fair enough, but mathmatically you do not loose acceleration with shorter gears it does not matter if it's the E46 or my old mustang, or the E92, but in that graph you are comparing a 6MT with a DCT, you should be comparing all the DCT ratio's as a reference for each speed.

From all the reviews I've read on the 3.62's people say their cars are faster, lol, but I know butt dyno's don't mean much. Not that Dinan is the God of BMW's, lol, some think they are the devil, haha, here's what Dinan says about the 3.62's:

Dinan lowers the stock 3.15 final drive ratio to a 3.62, taking full advantage of torque multiplication for an eye opening 14.9% increase in torque delivered to the road! The improved acceleration comes with only a minor increase in engine speed at cruise.
    Drew, that graph highlights it as well. Look at when the DCT shifts with the shorter gears. At every shift, it is behind in torque vs. the stock final drive.

You get an increase of torque in that gear, but for a shorter amount of time.

So basically, you are not going to make as much torque in 4th as you are in 3rd, do you see what I am saying? The parts of the graph where the stock ratio is above the shorter one at the shift points shows it. The car won't accelerate in 5th as hard as in 4th which is why the 3.62 costs top end and in the 1/4 due to the shift into 5th.

For 60-130, since it is still completed in the same gears, it is not as clearly evidenced. However, the stock ratio will still have the advantage no matter what.

I can tell you the 3.62 feels faster, but it isn't faster. You have more torque, but for less time.

Trust me, I did not quite understand it until I bought ii and tested it. What you are thinking is exactly what I thought. I just thought, wow, an extra 14.9% that will get me into the 11's easy, well, it actually slowed me down. Even with a much better 60 foot, I could not match the stock ratio 1/4 ET... top end was killed. Wish I had videos of the runs with my friends STI but you have the 1/4 results...

Look at the graph and look at how the torque drops as you move to the right (higher gears). You can see how the 3.62 has a torque advantage in first but loses it to the stock ratio once it shifts. If the redline was raised and it could match the max speed in gear that the stock ratio achieves, it would be faster as it would have more torque at all speeds. Once the shift happens, the stock ratio has more torque until it shifts into second which this then repeats with 3rd, 4th, etc. At higher speeds you spend more time in gear so it hurts more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammyrusso Click here to enlarge
    Eugene, good work brother! glad to see you enjoying your kit...and getting out there and hitting some runs....im surprised you think your 275 tires are enough?!?! although im sure you RE-11s are much gripper than my 285 falkens...which i took a shot of a day after i did my vbox runs....9.29 seems good...im sure you will get faster times with more practice.
    its good to have another party shooting for good 60-130...you gota rep for G-power!
    here were my F*cked tires!
    Man, you need to get some adjustable rear camber/control arms. That will allow you to pull out the negative camber for a lot more grip and you will get more out of your tires.

OP, that is a decent time for manual tranny.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    Man, you need to get some adjustable rear camber/control arms. That will allow you to pull out the negative camber for a lot more grip and you will get more out of your tires.

OP, that is a decent time for manual tranny.

Thanks! I have my tires set at 2 degrees I believe that is the biggest without control arms