Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

S54 factory coils and forced induction

So I have been Thinking about the factory ignition coils lately. When I installed my stage 2 sc system, upon initial start up I blew 2 coils. I replaced the 2 coils and blew 3 more a week later. These were also the old factory coils. After installing 6 new factory coils, I didn't have any issues. Has anyone else seen this happen with the old factory ignition could on the s54? Seems like maybe the older ignition coils were not as strong as the new ones. Maybe they were just on their way out?

Discuss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I havent experienced any issues on my own with S54s, but then again I havent really dealt with a FI S54. I will tell you that N54 engines over the course of 30k or so will eat a coil or 6...usually when one goes the rest follow suit within a matter of weeks. Especially once you start cranking the boost up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

That is what happened with my m3. Lost 2 could on initial start up. I lost 3 more on my way to work one day about a week later. Is there a solution other than okada coils? I think those are a little overkill for only 10psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

new factory coils usually will do the trick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

That's what I figured. I guess it would be a good idea for anyone who decides to go fi on their s54 to replace their coils up front unless they have already been replaced. I got stuck on the 10 freeway on my way to Van Nuys. Not very fun...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i ended up getting the okada's........i lost a few stockers after a few months of the install, bought a whole new set and lost some of those 6 months or so later.

the first set that went out were the older bremi's that had the recall on them, the second set were the updated ones Bosch i believe.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Okada are the only ones making the high performance coils for the S54 at the moment. They are over priced but hey we dont have a choice if we want reliability.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I haven't had a problem with mine and I have almost 81k miles. I installed the VT-445 in June, then VT2-500 about 2 mos. ago. They're still running stong.
    I've heard Bavauto makes some coils, they're $234 for set of 6. I'm not sure about reviews on them. I'd probably just stick with Bosch if mine ever go out.

Here's the Bavauto write-up:
    The core windings inside these coils have been modified to increase firepower and promote a faster, more efficient burn. This gives your BMW increased torque in the lower range of RPM and more horsepower in the upper range. Exact improvements depend on the current condition of your BMW's engine, but you'll definitely feel the difference. They'll also improve your fuel economy. Plus they come with new spark plug boots, making them an even better value. Installation is a simple, do-it-yourself procedure that takes about 30 minutes. Instructions included.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

I have heard that the bavauto coils are junk. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    I have heard that the bavauto coils are junk. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    that is what i heard as well.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

It would be good to get some feedback from all the FI S54 guys who have repeatedly blown their stock ignition coils. I am hearing more and more about this and it seems the only solution is the super expensive okada coils. Please chime in guys. I know you're out there. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    It would be good to get some feedback from all the FI S54 guys who have repeatedly blown their stock ignition coils. I am hearing more and more about this and it seems the only solution is the super expensive okada coils. Please chime in guys. I know you're out there. Click here to enlarge
    Don't HPF guys use the stock coils? I haven't heard too much about this being an issue yet but it is interesting. Why would the stock ignition coils get blown out and why are the Okada coils better in this respect with FI?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My stock coils went out after a couple thousand miles after I SC Stage II, I think it was like on 2500 Miles, I then went with the Bav auto and I have NOT had no problem with them!!!! They were awesome, I took the stock coils and the Okadas that my neighbor purchased and compared them, they are identical (Okada), I think bav Auto changes the top locking portion to the color red to distinguish BAV Auto products. As in performance, I changed my plugs to Iridium IXU 27 and the coils and i cant tell a slight difference, I race all the time and i'm always high up in the RPMs and had nooooo problem!! Great price too!!! I run nitrous, W/M and 13 PSI!!! I have a mad right foot!! ;-P

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMtroubleYOU Click here to enlarge
    My stock coils went out after a couple thousand miles after I SC Stage II, I think it was like on 2500 Miles, I then went with the Bav auto and I have NOT had no problem with them!!!! They were awesome, I took the stock coils and the Okadas that my neighbor purchased and compared them, they are identical (Okada), I think bav Auto changes the top locking portion to the color red to distinguish BAV Auto products. As in performance, I changed my plugs to Iridium IXU 27 and the coils and i cant tell a slight difference, I race all the time and i'm always high up in the RPMs and had nooooo problem!! Great price too!!! I run nitrous, W/M and 13 PSI!!! I have a mad right foot!! ;-P
    What SC kit are you running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    For what is worth I too have the Bav Auto coils on a M54 and have not had any problems. I got a nice performance increase too. But I am not running FI.
    BMW 08 M5
    EuroCharged Tune
    Turner Pulley
    RPI Scoops, Afe filters
    ECS Stainless Brakelines
    ECS 12.5 Spacers
    V1 Hardwire
    Euro SMG

BMW X5 3.0i Sport. 330,220 miles & counting

Merc R63....Wife's Beast

540 Hp Family Hauler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What SC kit are you running?
    I am running the VF Stage II, I sent the S/C back to Vortex and they replaced the impellers and rebuilt it again and converted it to the Si version. Labonte W/M kit Stage IV, 75 shot of NOS with a 15lb bottle, UUC Aluminum FW, 16" Electric fan with temp controler, turner Motorsport Underdrive pulleys, and much more, I will be changing out my cams to the CSL 288/280, change the TBs and have a pectel for a couple of tunes, pump with meth, race gas with meth. and thats it, and ill stop right there!! :-D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I am running the VF Stage II, I sent the S/C back to Vortex and they replaced the impellers and rebuilt it again and converted it to the Si version. Labonte W/M kit Stage IV, 75 shot of NOS with a 15lb bottle, UUC Aluminum FW, 16" Electric fan with temp controler, turner Motorsport Underdrive pulleys, and much more, I will be changing out my cams to the CSL 288/280, change the TBs and have a pectel for a couple of tunes, pump with meth, race gas with meth. and thats it, and ill stop right there!! :-D
    Sounds awesome! I want to see what difference the cams make for you. Be sure to dyno before and after, please.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WallyX5 Click here to enlarge
    For what is worth I too have the Bav Auto coils on a M54 and have not had any problems. I got a nice performance increase too. But I am not running FI.
    What kind of performance gains are you thinking that you got as a result? Are you going by the feel?

Would you mind posting up some photos of your car in the X series section? 300,000 miles? Nice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am just going off the feel of the car. I had more low end torque and it just felt like it pulled more through the gears. I was hesitant about buying them because of the price but after installing them I am very pleased. I will post some pics. There isn't really anything special about my X, it's only the 3.0.
    BMW 08 M5
    EuroCharged Tune
    Turner Pulley
    RPI Scoops, Afe filters
    ECS Stainless Brakelines
    ECS 12.5 Spacers
    V1 Hardwire
    Euro SMG

BMW X5 3.0i Sport. 330,220 miles & counting

Merc R63....Wife's Beast

540 Hp Family Hauler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WallyX5 Click here to enlarge
    I am just going off the feel of the car. I had more low end torque and it just felt like it pulled more through the gears. I was hesitant about buying them because of the price but after installing them I am very pleased. I will post some pics. There isn't really anything special about my X, it's only the 3.0.
    Doesn't really matter what motor it is, we all check out each others rides. Not everything has to have 23408208 horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My stock coils went out around 500 miles after installing VF's Stage 1 SC. I replaced all 6 with the newer OEM version available and haven't had an issue for almost 2 years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by grkm3 Click here to enlarge
    My stock coils went out around 500 miles after installing VF's Stage 1 SC. I replaced all 6 with the newer OEM version available and haven't had an issue for almost 2 years.
    Newer OEM coils are a different part number?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The ones I have in there now are manufactured by ERA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by grkm3 Click here to enlarge
    The ones I have in there now are manufactured by ERA
    No idea if these are different than the ones used earlier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have 67k miles mine no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast