Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Rumor: F30 BMW M3 to get a 3.3 liter 440 hp twin turbo V6??

Click here to enlarge

We have heard this rumor before and BMW has yet to confirm it. However, BMWcoop is reporting that sources inside BMW claim the V6 twin turbo is a go. Why would BMW abandon the I6 after so long? Why the change that goes against all the talk of the N55 being the base for the next-gen M3? Why would BMW create a new motor architecture when they have set the precedent of using the same architecture now across multiple models? We don't know, it does not make any sense. 440 hp is also way, way too low. There are many conflicting reports, take it with a grain of salt until BMW refutes it (or confirms it).
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I mentioned this years ago. Engine has been in development for ages but its not confirmed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

thats the history of BMW right there..why would they do it??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Might as well just buy a Ford Ecoboost V6 and tweak it a bit......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a little bit disappointed. Is it going to be BMW's answer to C63 AMG? Also why develop another 6 cylinder TT engine when they already have the n54 and n55? (I know, they're I6, but c'mon) This one's only gonna have slightly more power than those I6 TT's already exist. I expected a V8 TT in the new M3. By the time the f30 m3 will be on the market, the competitors will already have more powerful alternatives to offer. I'm gonna be on the market for a new car by then, and I really want it to be another bimmer (finally an M3) so please BMW don't make me get a Benz or Audi, or a 335 again Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This will be a huge mistake. No next gen M3 for me, if true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    V6?that sounds weird but since Bmw is considering FWD for new micro car it won't be impossible.
    but just 440Hp?a Sonata has more Hp/Lit than next gen M3?Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Might as well just buy a Ford Ecoboost V6 and tweak it a bit......
    Not even that odd of a thought.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I mentioned this years ago. Engine has been in development for ages but its not confirmed.
    If it isn't confirmed then how do we know? Seems like just a rumor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HeroSina Click here to enlarge
    V6?that sounds weird but since Bmw is considering FWD for new micro car it won't be impossible.
    but just 440Hp?a Sonata has more Hp/Lit than next gen M3?Click here to enlarge
    It's weird, don't know what the hell BMW is thinking.

440 hp clearly will be a joke. The M3 simply won't be able to compete with other offerings if this is true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

all these rumors... we need some solid info now from BMW before all the BMW owners say "screw you" and defect to a different brand
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

how do you know the next gen m3 wont weight 3000lbs flat and have 440hp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    how do you know the next gen m3 wont weight 3000lbs flat and have 440hp?
    BMW can barely get the mini cooper under 3000 pounds and you think they are going to make it lighter than the E36, E46, or E9X? Not likely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Maybe they are making a new engine for the Indicar 2012 season Click here to enlarge
    On June 2, IZOD IndyCar Series officials announced that its 2012 engine platform will allow manufacturers to produce engines with a maximum of six cylinders as well as maximum displacement of 2.4 cubic liters. The ethanol-fueled engines will produce between 550 and 700 horsepower to suit the diverse set of tracks on which the IZOD IndyCar Series competes and will be turbocharged to allow for flexibility in power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Beemers with V6's and FWD, it is simply not ok...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

They can't just leave I6's like that, that is their heritage dating all the way back to World War 1. If they make the new M3 a TT V6, I will just be even more happy that I grabbed a 1M.....

I don't think it will be up to par with the VR38 and the VG30 TT motors, but we will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I haven't read anything about BMW developing a V6, I think this was simply an auto writer making a mistake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 62Lincoln Click here to enlarge
    I haven't read anything about BMW developing a V6, I think this was simply an auto writer making a mistake.
    Actually, there have been rumors about a V6 in the new M3 and newer BMW's for a little while now. They don't seem to be going away for whatever reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It makes absolutely no sense for BMW to develop a V6 when they have been making I6s throughout their history.

Have you ever wondered why Mercedes and US automakers had 90 degree V6s instead of the optimal 60 degrees? It's because their engine equipment was set up for 90 degree V8s and it would be too costly to replace the engine building equipment. As wikipedia puts it "90 V6 engines are also produced, usually so they can use the same production-line tooling set up to produce V8 engines (which normally have a 90 V angle)."

For BMW to go from an I6 to a V6 configuration is stupid. You gain nothing and spend millions! The only advantage is a shorter length. What's the point in that?
    2009 335i: PROcede V4 with BMS DCI (still not sure how they get along!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
    It makes absolutely no sense for BMW to develop a V6 when they have been making I6s throughout their history.
    No it does not, but have you seen what BMW has done with their historical precedent lately?

Have you ever wondered why Mercedes and US automakers had 90 degree V6s instead of the optimal 60 degrees? It's because their engine equipment was set up for 90 degree V8s and it would be too costly to replace the engine building equipment. As wikipedia puts it "90 V6 engines are also produced, usually so they can use the same production-line tooling set up to produce V8 engines (which normally have a 90 V angle)."
    No surprise, but BMW makes decisions like this to save money all the time.

For BMW to go from an I6 to a V6 configuration is stupid. You gain nothing and spend millions! The only advantage is a shorter length. What's the point in that?
    Who knows, new architecture for the future? Let's hope they don't do it but BMW is on a streak of disappointment lately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

if bmw goes v6, i quit
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    if bmw goes v6, i quit
    If BMW does M SUV's and abandons naturally aspirated M motors I quit... wait.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I think we all going through a period of stage fright. It reminds me of the time when the rumour was spread that the new M5 was not going to be a straight six but a V8. The shock and horror in consumers eyes was similar to the "whats next" effect we getting now. Whatever engine the new M3 gets and no one can say guaranteed its the V6 will be worthy enough to be in a M car. In three years time BMW will not have a single naturally aspirated motor in its range, has anyone realized that? By using the V6 they can push the engine further back in the engine bay which does magic to the handling dynamics of the car. Make more with less seems to be the new BMW moto.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

BMW needs something else on top of M. Like what Black Series is to AMG.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    BMW needs something else on top of M. Like what Black Series is to AMG.
    Would be nice but Mercedes is killing with the Black Series right now. BMW doesn't have anything to compete with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast