Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    Custom built motor E46 330 M54 turbo completed and tuned by Nick G - 414 whp at 10.5 psi

    This car belongs to user bluejeansonfire. The car is an E46 330ci with an M54 that has been custom built. It features 8.5:1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods, and a JBR valvetrain including the heads, springs, and retainers. Schrick 252/256 cams are used with a hta3582r turbo feeding a 3.5 inch exhaust. It is nice to see a built M54 turbo application but this is only putting up slightly higher numbers than the Technique Tuning Stage 2 setup does on the stock internals. We look forward to seeing what this can do with the boost turned up!

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Vids:




    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    For reference, here is the technique tuning stage 2 on stock internals:

    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, he has WAY more room to play with! Beefy hardware plus he is at a 8.5:1 comp ratio. 414whp at 10.5psi out of it already..... at 20psi I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the high 500's!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, he has WAY more room to play with! Beefy hardware plus he is at a 8.5:1 comp ratio. 414whp at 10.5psi out of it already..... at 20psi I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the high 500's!
    We'll have to see, not sure what he is going to take it to.

    High 500's though? I don't know. It is interesting to see how this motor will stack up vs. the M50/M52 turbos.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Torque curve ftw.... Really flat
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Torque curve ftw.... Really flat
    Yes, this turbo is a decent size and isn't too laggy. Will always be in the "spool zone" while sports driving. BMW should take note.......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Torque curve ftw.... Really flat
    The curve is great and he mentioned the boost curve was beautiful as well but did not have a graph of it

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Julio built a hell of a car. I rode in it before the big turbo and it was extremely quick. I can't imagine now. He will easily be in the 500's. Keep in mind this is only a base tune just to get the car running. Once he has his meth hooked up, and gets a real tune you'll see what this thing really does. I have nothing but high expectations.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Julio built a hell of a car. I rode in it before the big turbo and it was extremely quick. I can't imagine now. He will easily be in the 500's. Keep in mind this is only a base tune just to get the car running. Once he has his meth hooked up, and gets a real tune you'll see what this thing really does. I have nothing but high expectations.
    That's a good point, didn't even realize he was going to add meth to it.

    Any idea what kind of boost he plans to run with this turbo?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty sure at least 20psi but he would have to confirm.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Points
    6.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I own M54B25 should i turbocharge it or supercharge it?? still haven't decided which one to go and gives more longevity for the engine..
    looking for 280-310hp

    if turbo charge the engine should i change the internal of the engine??

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    1,123
    Rep Points
    1,665.0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Julio's compression ratio: 8.5:1 via pistons

    TT Stage 2 compression ratio: 9.0:1 compression via 0.140" head gasket (Raceware head studs are added as well)


    Julio's boost setting: 10.5 PSI

    TT Stage 2 boost setting: 13 PSI


    I find it impressive that Julio's engine is making 30+rwhp with 2.5psi less boost, lower compression ratio, and a software tune optimized for 240/240 deg cams (OEM) when he's running 272/256 cams.

    There is so much more to come from Julio's car....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Julio's compression ratio: 8.5:1 via pistons

    TT Stage 2 compression ratio: 9.0:1 compression via 0.140" head gasket (Raceware head studs are added as well)


    Julio's boost setting: 10.5 PSI

    TT Stage 2 boost setting: 13 PSI


    I find it impressive that Julio's engine is making 30+rwhp with 2.5psi less boost, lower compression ratio, and a software tune optimized for 240/240 deg cams (OEM) when he's running 272/256 cams.

    There is so much more to come from Julio's car....
    I agree with you, there seems to be a lot of potential there.

    Just out of curiosity, what ware we waiting for? Why haven't they turned the boost up and let her rip?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    1,123
    Rep Points
    1,665.0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    I should let Julio reply to this personally, but he's found a couple of weak links on the car that he wants to upgrade before doing the "big" tune. I heard he bought a TIG welder....
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 12-16-2010 at 09:02 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    I should let Julio reply to this personally, but he's found a couple of weak links on the car that he wants to upgrade before doing the "big" tune. I heard he bought a TIG welder....
    Well if he doesn't reply please clue us in, what are the weak links?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    1,123
    Rep Points
    1,665.0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well if he doesn't reply please clue us in, what are the weak links?
    2 areas:

    • There was an issue with the waste gate flex tube
    • Failure in the rear end


    Last I heard, there was some serious fabrication going on with the subframe.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    2 areas:

    • There was an issue with the waste gate flex tube
    • Failure in the rear end


    Last I heard, there was some serious fabrication going on with the subframe.
    Ah I see, the subframe issues are a commonality on the E46, just a very weak point that needs to be addressed.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    1,123
    Rep Points
    1,665.0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ah I see, the subframe issues are a commonality on the E46, just a very weak point that needs to be addressed.
    It's not the subframe mounting points that everyone is focused on these days, those were fixed a long time ago on Julio's car. Once people fix that, and run stiff or solid bushings like Julio and I have, we'll start to see some more substantial drivetrain failures.

    I think my experience damaging diff output flanges and halfs-hafts was a statement that made Julio nervous. With his first failure that was similar to mine, he was looking at "plan B" pretty fast.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    It's not the subframe mounting points that everyone is focused on these days, those were fixed a long time ago on Julio's car. Once people fix that, and run stiff or solid bushings like Julio and I have, we'll start to see some more substantial drivetrain failures.

    I think my experience damaging diff output flanges and halfs-hafts was a statement that made Julio nervous. With his first failure that was similar to mine, he was looking at "plan B" pretty fast.
    If it isn't the mounting points than what is it? Once those are addressed what is next?

    Half-shafts aren't a problem, there are options for stronger half-shafts.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If it isn't the mounting points than what is it? Once those are addressed what is next?

    Half-shafts aren't a problem, there are options for stronger half-shafts.
    After destroying a set of output flanges, gone through numerous halfshafts, I destroyed my kaaz LSD right before thanksgiving. Before my car even fired up, I've been looking into alternatives for differential, but I hadn't quiet had everything pieced together. I always felt that my 3.38 ratio was a bit aggressive, it didn't have me make the best use of my power band. I also drove on a 2.93 I had sitting around and knew that downshifting ont hat thing sucked, that diff was boring. So I wanted something sort of in between. So, my first idea: e39 M5 diff in a e46 m3 subframe with e46 m3 driveshaft, halfshafts, and rear diff cover (which takes care of the rear mounting points). All 210k/215k diffs share a rear case bolt-pattern. The problem: lack of availability for the e39 M5 differential and relatively high costs. I want something that I can blow up regularly, not break the bank to replace. This includes half-shafts, and considering all the bad reviews considering driveshaft issues from DSS, I really want to steer away from their product. *Note*... I'm not basing the driveshaft issues off of one mishap, but there isn't one success story of these driveshafts on a BMW, search bf.c FI for more on this. The halfshafts seem to work fine, but from the discussion regarding this company on bf.c, I prefer not to deal with them. Besides, I have a source for used e46M halfshafts, $100/each/shipped/win. I digress.

    So, in lieu of a e39M diff and to follow in the example of e36 folk, I purchased something with the exact same gear ratio, but less lockup, the e32 750 differential. $250 plus shipping. This is all being done on my hobo budget of $800. The e39 diff would also require fab work as the front mounting location isn't the same as the e46, the e39 points forward, the e46 points to the passenger side. So initially the fabwork difference was very tomayto/tomahto.

    I plan to purchase a spare 750 diff to build up with a more agressive lockup instead of the luxcruiser-intended 25%.
    Downsides of the 750 diff: it's really big towards the snout (in comparison to the e39M and e46M diffs) and required a lot of cutting and reinforcing of the subframe. Another downside: with the e46 M3 cover on it, it has no oil fill, as the fill on the 750 diff is on the cover and the e46M/e39M is on the side.... this i knew, but putting a fill on the e46 rear cover is about as difficult as putting a tubo oil drain on an oil pan, cake.

    Given finals at school, I only had the previous week to work on this, it's a couple of welds away from being finished. For Christmas, I am in the wrong edge of florida, the armpit of america: gulf breeze, fl.

    Regarding the exhaust: when fabbing the exhaust, I made about 1.5ft of it hang a bit too low and left some room above it. When returning to Orlando, before the car fires again, this will be among the issues resolved. This has already caused me some headache. A couple of hours before the dyno that yielded the numbers posted above, I hit the exhaust on some gas-station filling covers and broke the wastegate flex tube.
    Click here to enlarge
    The dyno actually shows a pretty accurate spoolup of what it's doing on the street. But before it was around 33-3400 rpm that full boost was seen. Next dyno will probably be at Nick's (logging boost and other inputs) and then I'll revisit this dynoject for comparison's sake.

    I expect that spoolup will be a tad improved as will power numbers considering what repairs I have in mind.

    Regarding boost, I dunno where we'll stop (justin is correct in his prediction above, at the very, very least before race gas), maybe just when we start to get really nervous, it'll largely be up to Nick, but I'll let you know the following: unleaded race gas and meth are in the mix. 480whp, I expect on a dynojet on relatively low-boost on pump settings.
    Last edited by bluejeansonfire; 12-20-2010 at 12:42 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    Note*... I'm not basing the driveshaft issues off of one mishap, but there isn't one success story of these driveshafts on a BMW, search bf.c FI for more on this.
    Wouldn't this meet your qualifications of a success story of the DSS driveshaft's on a BMW? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...&highlight=dss

    Also, why something you know you will need to replace? Why not something very strong you won't break to begin with not just something that will last a bit longer?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    Regarding boost, I dunno where we'll stop (justin is correct in his prediction above, at the very, very least before race gas), maybe just when we start to get really nervous, it'll largely be up to Nick, but I'll let you know the following: unleaded race gas and meth are in the mix. 480whp, I expect on a dynojet on relatively low-boost on pump settings.
    When are you planning to do this and what is the high-boost goal? How much more time would you say is involved before this will be completed?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't this meet your qualifications of a success story of the DSS driveshaft's on a BMW? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...&highlight=dss

    Also, why something you know you will need to replace? Why not something very strong you won't break to begin with not just something that will last a bit longer?



    When are you planning to do this and what is the high-boost goal? How much more time would you say is involved before this will be completed?
    As with HPF cars, I don't think I'll find myself regularly replacing e46M diff components (read: halfshafts, axle stubs) nearly as frequently as e46nonM components. The halfshafts eventually do go, not from breaking, but simply worn cv joints, that'll be true on dss cv joints as well.

    As far as a positive review from DSS, I'm looking for a success story with a DRIVESHAFT, or at least someone who has managed to get a refund without having to backcharge their cc. There have been plenty of positive reviews for their halfshafts everywhere. And that's not a part I really think has any issue from dss. The driveshafts are the common issue from that shop, as is the way the shop deals with the customers that purchase them. But from being in a shop with a few upstage built-motor HPF cars, the stock half-shafts do last a good while, and while the cv joints get a bit loose, they dont break. We've replaced 1! And there's a stage 3 that's never replaced one and hasn't run anything other than r-comp DOT hoosiers or drag radials.

    I think this setup will be very strong and I wont have to really replace anything other than the occasional halfshaft after intense abuse, never approaching the total investment of $1k in axles.

    The parts I'm using now are much stronger. The axle stubs aren't hollow, and beyond that, they're also much larger, girth ftw. The halfshafts look a good bit beefier. The weak point in my setup is the low-lockup diff. I want something closer to 60%, which I'll build later.

    My timetables are as follows: get the e46 back on the streets. Wait for my wiring guy to finish wiring, or take it to Tyler to finish wiring. Sort out the boost controller/meth system. By this point I'll be running 15psish on pump. And drive it around a bit while i get my e36 sorted to make it a bit more liveable. Then take it to Nick and have it done before March. Then hit the strip.
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,858
    Rep Points
    31,808.3
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    As far as a positive review from DSS, I'm looking for a success story with a DRIVESHAFT,
    Why is the driveshaft experience so much different from the halfshafts?

    Seems customer service is a bigger issue than the parts from what you are alluding to.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    My timetables are as follows: get the e46 back on the streets. Wait for my wiring guy to finish wiring, or take it to Tyler to finish wiring. Sort out the boost controller/meth system. By this point I'll be running 15psish on pump. And drive it around a bit while i get my e36 sorted to make it a bit more liveable. Then take it to Nick and have it done before March. Then hit the strip.
    Sounds like a solid plan and I'm most looking forward to what it does on the strip. Keep us in the loop please.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Rep Points
    97.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why is the driveshaft experience so much different from the halfshafts?

    Seems customer service is a bigger issue than the parts from what you are alluding to.



    Sounds like a solid plan and I'm most looking forward to what it does on the strip. Keep us in the loop please.
    Regarding the DSS halfshafts and my perspective, you couldn't be more correct. I try to support companies that seem to have good customer service. So, for now, I'm avoiding DSS until I really need it. I think that DSS's issues with driveshafts is due to it being one-piece, but I'm not sure, certainly all reviews are of severe vibration.

    I really like where this website is going, I must commend you- this is really getting some traction! I'll definetly be here.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •