Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    as an update i broke out the bav tool to read the codes. it turns out that most of the time, my limp was being caused by the fuel pump. i guess i just figured it was overboost because that's what it was the first time and when i restarted the car it didnt crank long and it felt perfect in the rev range otherwise. one time last week during a cold start it took 3 or 4 cranks to turn over, but usually its just 1-2. anyway long story short is im changing my HPFP tomorrow. hopefully that will resolve this little bug and i can get on with some proper testing. i may have some free time soon to dyno on pumpgas if the intercooler takes a while, of course after Thanksgiving, may not be at lujan for that one tho.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to the results!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    haha i didnt think it would be so popular, but cool. lujan isnt that big, lol, enough room for the car on the dyno and people can barely get by. but we can all watch from outside Click here to enlarge
    Hell ya it's popular Click here to enlarge Get us vid and dynos, please!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LM so when are you going to come down south to race my buddy oddjob....we all want to see how robbeck turbos match up against ASR turbos? it will be a great match up for the n54 community
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    LM so when are you going to come down south to race my buddy oddjob....we all want to see how robbeck turbos match up against ASR turbos? it will be a great match up for the n54 community
    I dont even have a 335i, but I would love to see that happen... Would be a great excuse for LM to a warmer weather christmas vacation Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol. id like to move down there permanently actually. but as for the matchup, vbox is coming shortly and thats the best we can do

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    whos got rob beck turbos in south florida?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    he was saying that I should meet up with him JB/RB vs ASR/V4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what a dream race Click here to enlarge if only. anyway the car is running strong with the new pump now. im really excited to do more and more testing to make sure that damn half-engine-sign never comes up again! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    as a new update, the new fuel pump (my 3rd in the car's life) seems like it has failed. it's honestly ridiculous. just last night i was showing the car off to a friend, it performed beautifully then and the days after the install. now its broke? pathetic. now i have to get it towed, the car wont even idle or run in the pump's condition, ive never seen the car do this (make those sounds), only on youtube, its frightening. so i guess now we install another new pump, lmfao, will it ever end? $#@! this high pressure $#@!.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! this high pressure $#@!.
    Sorry Oddjob, this cracked me up though Click here to enlarge DI isn't as great as it is touted to be. When it comes to starting to mod for high power it can become an annoying liability.

Still, third one though? Sorry bud, hopefully the 4th one lasts longer...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oo damn I'm sorry to hear that oddjob. Seems like we both are having bad luck with our cars.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oo damn I'm sorry to hear that oddjob. Seems like we both are having bad luck with our cars.
    and what do you guys have in common that could cause thse "problems?"

Kidding kidding Click here to enlarge
    im out, sorry, i just want to see the competiton healthy and fully capable Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    as a new update, the new fuel pump (my 3rd in the car's life) seems like it has failed. it's honestly ridiculous. just last night i was showing the car off to a friend, it performed beautifully then and the days after the install. now its broke? pathetic. now i have to get it towed, the car wont even idle or run in the pump's condition, ive never seen the car do this (make those sounds), only on youtube, its frightening. so i guess now we install another new pump, lmfao, will it ever end? $#@! this high pressure $#@!.
    Too bad. Sorry to hear. So what's the plan and schedule?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    and what do you guys have in common that could cause thse "problems?"

Kidding kidding Click here to enlarge
    im out, sorry, i just want to see the competiton healthy and fully capable Click here to enlarge
    lol my axle is what went bad Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

update: towed the car to asr, it seems i was too quick to judge the faulty BMW HPFP, we re-read the codes and in one of the 3 places they're stored was a code by the name of 30BB if i remember right which claims: DME - internal error, pretty scary stuff. so we went to diagnosing and the first thing we looked at was the tune. we completely disconnected the procede and then cleared the codes so they can come up again if they are pending. they came up so we ruled out the tune. another code that was coming up was: fuel pressure sensor - electrical. this was easily fixed with a new sensor. next up was the misfire codes and fuel injector codes. we ordered up new injectors and when we took out the old ones oil was sitting in the spark plug holes of cylinders 4 and 6. we diagnosed it as a leaky valve cover gasket that was slowly leaking oil over time into the well. so we changed that and now we're waiting on 6 new plugs coming in tomorrow morning. but the last code still is pending, this was confusing at first but then it dawned on us, its possible the oil in the wells caused a short circuit and it traveled through the injector, through the procede and into the dme. this last sentence is just theory, we will wait until tomorrow, when we change the plugs and see if the problem still exits.

edit: if it does not fix the problem, the car will need a new dme (~$800), and a reprogramming at a BMW center. pretty lame, but when you play with fire you sometimes get burned. a modded daily driver that beats on exotics is what i want, these are just some of the complications one has to go through, its no wonder some call them money pits Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 12-01-2010 at 12:45 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if it does not fix the problem, the car will need a new dme (~$800), and a reprogramming at a BMW center. pretty lame, but when you play with fire you sometimes get burned. a modded daily driver that beats on exotics is what i want, these are just some of the complications one has to go through, its no wonder some call them money pits
    You have the right attitude.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The engine doesnt have excess blowby or anything does it? Those well gaskets I just have never read about going bad, but who knows maybe it becomes common later on in life (like many other engines out there). Otherwise excess crank pressures, can overtax the sealing potential of gaskets like that. A quick compression test would be a quick easy test to rule out the worse of scenarios (ie. broken ringlands- which possibly could cause misfire codes).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    my hope is the misfire codes and dme code go away with the new plugs. there was one case on n54tech where a guy had the same DME code and it turned out to be his injectors. he changed the bad ones out and the code for that and misfire went away. i can only hope it's that easy. i dont think i have excess blow by. i have a catch can and always have in the car's life. maybe i should do a compression test while the engine is like this, would be nice to know that im not low anywhere. the car was born early 07 for reference, i still have pre 29.2 for those who know what that means Click here to enlarge.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oddjob your car can't handle the turbos so sell them to me!!!! both our cars are at ASR so it will be a quick and easy swap Click here to enlarge I'll take your LSD too lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

hey guys, the car is still being worked on. i had no idea to change the valve cover gasket would be a whole day ordeal. do any of you techs or vendors know what the book time on the gasket change is? i think its somewhere near 13 or 14 hours, according to BMW. that's a $#@! load of labor if you're out of warranty! luckily there are aftermarket shops with the know-how to do it themselves but damn, im still going to get stuck with probably 8 or 9 hrs of labor on top of parts. i had no clue that in order to change the gasket, basically the entire DI fuel system must be removed, that's what is labor intensive i suppose. its a rubber gasket btw, very susceptible to hot and cold, my guess is it had enough heat cycles, dried up, and started to leak, it's really the only thing keeping oil away from the plugs and injectors. anyway, i thought you'd guys would appreciate an update, ill keep all you guys updated as always, good or bad. maybe i can snap some pics of the job if anyone is interested.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats BS, i had mine done in 4 hrs.

im looking for my invoice now, i think $350 total in labor + $350 for new cover and gasket. (aftermarket warranty co covered parts and 75% labor though) but thats BS what they are charging you at

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i havnt been charged anything, i just found that the book (the book meaning BMW service) says it takes 14hrs. why/when did you have yours done (why meaning how did you know it went bad)? all i was told is that it takes all day, but apparently it can be done in 4hrs, they removed the entire DI system for yours right?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well i got some bad news. the car is put all back together, new plugs and everything. started it up and it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders. we took off the engine cover again and took out the spark plugs to check them. cylinders 1,2 and 3 are perfect but 4,5 and 6 are all clean, as in not firing. so the theory is the dme has an internal error, just like the code says, and it's not telling 4 5 and 6 to fire. well now we're on the expensive path and are going to have to deal with a BMW center (the car hasn't been back since i took it off the lot). abid says he knows a couple guys and maybe can strike a deal so im just waiting on the return call (new DME retail is about $800). this is more of a hassle than it is a problem, im not worried about the car, i know it will be fixed... its my wallet that is starting to beg for mercy.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that's so weird.

............we should put your turbos on my car to make sure its not the turbos causing the problems Click here to enlarge you never know because all these happened after installing the turbos. or maybe its a sign that you shouldnt have those turbos so give em up lol
    Last edited by lamia2super; 12-02-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast