Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Motorsports Video Systems part 1 - The Replay XD.

In my "Motorsports Electronics Industry" thread, there were some questions about video systems. There are 100's of retailers now selling video systems. You can buy Go Pro at REI and Best Buy. But Apex Speed Technology is among the first to introduce solid-state video into motorsports. In 2004, we had security system DVR's in Anchor Racing's Grand Am BMWs, and we tested dozens of systems before settling on the ones that we sell now. We now carry a range of products that cover everything from simple video to very high end data-synchronization packages. Come by anytime and I'll show you our graveyard of digital video that didn't make it!

Lets start with the simplest: The Replay XD. We've worked with Stable Imaging Systems for about a year to get this going, and have tested it in the harshest of environments. One of my cameras sat under the rear fender in direct salt spray at Bonneville. Another rode around strapped to the swingarm of James Stewart's Supercross bike. They are the toughest, most compact camera we've ever sold. And at $189, its an absolute steal.

First off: ITS NOT HD. Standard Def allows us to have the cost, size and 110min battery life that it has. There is an HD version in the works but it will be bigger.

Second: It is much more compact, durable and reliable than a Go Pro. We have used Go Pro and like other users have experienced losing video or batteries in the middle of a recording. This unit has two buttons - start and stop. It vibrates when you start it so you can tell its working. There are small status lights. Its incredibly easy to use.

Third: Its not just for fun, its size makes it an awesome development tool. We've taken to aiming them at suspension pieces, brakes, driver footwells and all sorts of places.

You can get them many places, but we do appreciate your business and are the only retailer with 5 full time techs who all use it and can help you get the most out of any of this. Get it here:

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/store/replay-xd

See a good example of its durability here:

Thanks,

Neel

Click here to enlarge
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Did it survive that crash and continue to function?

I admit, solid state is very, very cool. What is the memory capacity and how much recording time does this allow?

I am glad to hear an HD version is in the works, the larger size won't bother me as the unit is already so small. Whenever that comes out (I hope soon?) I will pick it up from you. I like to support my vendors Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Did it survive that crash and continue to function?
    Yep, still using that one too. There's probably about 1000 sold in some really silly applications, and they've been bulletproof for us.

I admit, solid state is very, very cool. What is the memory capacity and how much recording time does this allow?
    You can put any micro sd card in it - it comes with a 2GB. The limit is 110 min battery life. I don't know when to expect an HD version.

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    You can put any micro sd card in it - it comes with a 2GB. The limit is 110 min battery life. I don't know when to expect an HD version.
    Thanks, for whatever reason I assumed the memory was built in.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I would jump on this if it was at least 720p. Also, it would be cool to be able to record at 30, 60, 120, 240 and 480fps. In fact, I would be tempted to purchase it this very second if it could do all that.

If I could find a way to attach to a helmet and a picatinny/weaver rail it would be even more useful!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    If I could find a way to attach to a helmet and a picatinny/weaver rail it would be even more useful!
    You can attach it to a helmet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I would jump on this if it was at least 720p. Also, it would be cool to be able to record at 30, 60, 120, 240 and 480fps. In fact, I would be tempted to purchase it this very second if it could do all that.

You're missing the point of this product. The options you list above are exactly the reason why many, many people struggle with motorsports video. We sell other products that will do all of that and more if you want. We sell HD systems. We sell systems that allow you to choose the resolution. I will discuss all those in future posts. One thing I can tell you is that the more complex the product gets, the more expensive it gets and the more complaints we get about the customer not getting the results they wanted because of a missed setting.

The main selling points of the Replay XD are:

1. Two button control - start & stop. That's it. Nothing to set, nothing to adjust. It just works.
    2. Bulletproof. You can put it on the bottom of a skateboard, on a surfboard, in the wheelwheel of a dragster - there's even someone who launched one on a model rocket. It will work.
    3. $189. You will not find anything tougher, simpler or better supported at that price.

It baffles me they can sell it so complete. It comes with:

1. 2GB CF card.
    2. CF card reader for you to put it in your laptop.
    3. Micro USB cable for charging OR downloading onto your laptop.
    4. Helmet/bodywork mount.
    5. Clip mount (perfect for sunvisors)
    6. Lanyard to attach it so you won't lose it if it falls off.
    7. Carrying case.

In future postings, I'll address some of the other products for people who want more. We pride ourselves on selling a full selection of components so even if you start with something as simple as this, you can grow into more complex video systems and still get the same service and support.

-Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com