Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Veyron vs R35 Gtr

Hey guys as some of you may know im a huge Gtr fan but i came across this video on another forum and something doesn't seem right to me, tell me what you guys think. i would love a little more info on thit one, i mean we all know the veyron has a 1000hp awd and a quick shifting gearbox, the gtr is not light by any means so to pull that car that hard i would estimate it would need upwards of 1200hp (900+awhp). Tried to see what kind of tires it had to put down that kinds of hp especially in the rain!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bugatti is way overrated
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    bugatti is way overrated
    yea your right the ss is only the fastest car on the planet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    bugatti is way overrated
    I want what you're having.....lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    I want what you're having.....lol
    He's right, for 1+ million to have a 142 trap car that handles poorly and is ridiculously heavy kind of sucks.

Sure, it is a great status symbol but when a blown Viper can dust you what are you really getting for your mil? The car is just an exercise in showing that VW can throw a ton of money at a car. The McLaren F1 is a way better "supercar" than this thing ever will be.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys as some of you may know im a huge Gtr fan but i came across this video on another forum and something doesn't seem right to me, tell me what you guys think. i would love a little more info on thit one, i mean we all know the veyron has a 1000hp awd and a quick shifting gearbox, the gtr is not light by any means so to pull that car that hard i would estimate it would need upwards of 1200hp (900+awhp). Tried to see what kind of tires it had to put down that kinds of hp especially in the rain!!!
    Just watched it over and that blows me away, I can't believe how fast that GTR is.

Race 1 and 2 were pretty radically different though, I can't make sense of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I dont post often over here but this time I will... This vid is quite old really, and it was already discused by both the driver of the GTR and the Veyron, and they both agreed the Veyron had problems in the first run, I really dont recall wich ones right now because it was a long time ago,I think it was that the top speed key on the veyron wasnt ON or so, but they did make a rematch on the streets, and there are also vids of those runs, where as in the second run in this video, the veyron takes the win.

For those that said that the Veyron is overrated, for each his own I guess, but...Really? It has tons of technology, an interior that Bentley and RR should learn from, and is not all about power, some of us dont race 24/7 and like the good life and comfort/satisfaction a car of that league can give( Hipotetically speaking of course Click here to enlarge )... I was reading the wine thread yesterday (im into wine to, but just a begginer) and I read your post Sticky where you said that older guys looked "nicer" at you because you had an M3 and not a "raceboi" 335i tuned... So saying a blowed viper would be better than a Veyron...Well, I would mind having one, and certainly would enjoy it more than a blowed viper or Z06.

Not trying to dizz on you guys, but c'mon, nothing wrong when accepting a car's good, wheter is BMW's or VW's (Audi included guys!) And im not a fanboy, I have a 135i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GTR i just drove one and beat the piss out of it... my new favorite car!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    just saw a bugatti veyron at Cars and coffee today, and it does have that commanding attention status
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Boosted1 Click here to enlarge
    I read your post Sticky where you said that older guys looked "nicer" at you because you had an M3 and not a "raceboi" 335i tuned... So saying a blowed viper would be better than a Veyron...Well, I would mind having one, and certainly would enjoy it more than a blowed viper or Z06.

Not trying to dizz on you guys, but c'mon, nothing wrong when accepting a car's good, wheter is BMW's or VW's (Audi included guys!) And im not a fanboy, I have a 135i
    You are absolutely right but understand we are not exactly putting the Veyron down. I would love to have one, but the performance for the money really is overrated.

A blown viper doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence really except when it comes to performance. No one would rather have the Viper, no one.

The thing is, with the Veyron, keep in mind a few things. It was built around the design. VW started with the look and then forced the engineers to work around it. Unlike the McLaren F1 whose looks were a function of what was best for aerodynamics, the Veyron was forced to conform to certain standard making the job that much more difficult.

It is an exercise in excess and Gordon Murray is quite correct in his criticisms of it, saying it is a complete waste. If all that engineering talent and money was put into making it lighter and a better driving car instead of trying to break the F1's top speed record, we would likely have a supercar that is a true successor to the F1.

Instead, they set these lofty power goals and then forced a dual clutch transmission into it that cost $250k just to be able to handle what the motor was putting out. It is ridiculously excessive but for that excess you would expect a lot more than barely being able to top the "old" F1 and I doubt the Veyron could beat it around a proper road course. For a quad turbo 16 cylinder you just expect a bit more, it certainly isn't as efficient as a top of the line supercar should be. I believe the overrated moniker to be accurate, that does not mean the car is not amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    GTR i just drove one and beat the piss out of it... my new favorite car!!!
    Liked it that much, huh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You do have some good points wich I understand, but again I say, for each his own, there's people willing to pay XXXXXX money for the things they like... And as a fun fact, you guys saw the motor trend comparison where the Veyron stops shorter than the AMS GTR? Not that crappy handling huh? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?t=5563

Here's the video for you guys, of the rematch between the Veyron and the GTR... You can see in most of the races the GTR's launch earlier than the Veryon but whtvr, I find funny how beating the Veyron has become an obsession lol, altough for me, you can see in the video they dont. Another thing I noticed, the guy of the Veyron doesnt really know the car very well, in most of the races he race with the rear spoiler up, meaning he put it up just for possing, and that the max speed key on the car wasnt inserted again. Enjoy the vid, those guys are crazy, but with those streets, who of us wouldn't be too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have great respect for both vehicles however neither one blows me away. And with great number of options we have as automobile enthusiast, the number of cars I would purchase before either would be plenty. The bottom line is that these are two great cars but they are not the only ultra high performance autos being produced today!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about the Super sport do you guys think thats over rated as well?? There are not allot of tests or comparo out of this car but look at it here around the top gear track, its only the FASTEST EVER!! not bad for an over weight car

Here is auto car with it, they have driven one or two other hyper cars listen to what they think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about the Super sport do you guys think thats over rated as well??
    The top speed record is a nice achievement but is not comparable to what the McLaren F1 was able to do when it never even set out to have a top speed goal.

So they upped the boost a bit and changed some of the aerodynamics, yawn.

I think you are getting the wrong impression, the Veyron is a great car but it is highly hyped and simply used a measuring stick for acceleration vs. other cars, essentially becoming one-dimensional.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MSIZZLE, read this please, as you seem to be going by top speed figures and just seem to offer a very young, power dominant perspective. Gordon Murray is right on in his assessment of the Veyron, here are some excerpts:

Regarding the quality of the body/chassis:

The chassis/body structure is hybrid like the last Bugatti (EB110) with carbon fiber used for the primary structure and aluminum alloy for the body and front crash structure. In this respect, the all-carbon McLaren F1 and the RTM (Resin Transfer Molding) carbon Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren are, in fact, more advanced. Carbon-ceramic brakes are used as with the Porsche GT and the SLR.
    Regarding the aerodynamics, it is not up the level it should be for this financial development and this because the engineers were forced to build around the design. I hope you understand what that means, a proper supercar is built around what is best for the car and not hindered in this manner:

The aerodynamics is interesting and complex. The design and development have been directed at problem-solving in the areas of cooling and vehicle stability. At such high speeds, the basic shape of the Veyron will generate a lot of lift. Add to this a large frontal area and 10 radiators and heat exchangers, and suddenly here's where the 1001 hp [metric horsepower] dissipates at 250 mph! The CDA figure [drag coefficient x frontal area] is at the high end of the scale for rear-engine sports cars. At these sorts of speeds, a massive amount (often three or four times the net figure) of downforce has to be generated to overcome the basic lift in order to achieve the target figure for net downforce. The Veyron is a full ground-effect vehicle like the McLaren F1 and Ferrari Enzo. The downforce increases as a square of the speed, so there are large forces to design for at speeds approaching Vmax [top speed] — these forces eat into available suspension travel and can cause high-speed stability problems.
    Just read the whole thing, from the man who redefined what "supercar" means and took it to a whole new level: http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/da...-of-a-supercar

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since I doubt most of you will read the article I linked to, just read this line, to truly get it:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gordon Murray
    The Veyron because of its high CDA figure and huge cooling drag needs 1001 hp to go 12 mph faster than a McLaren F1 producing 627 hp. To help understand the problem of starting a car program from a weak point aerodynamically, we do some calculations: A turbocharged F1 producing 1001 hp would achieve 281 mph assuming the same drivetrain efficiency. Another way of looking at this equation is that an F1 would need "only" 740 hp to reach the Bugatti's top speed. All this demonstrates just what an uphill struggle the Bugatti team faced to achieve their targets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You are absolutely right but understand we are not exactly putting the Veyron down. I would love to have one, but the performance for the money really is overrated.

A blown viper doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence really except when it comes to performance. No one would rather have the Viper, no one.

The thing is, with the Veyron, keep in mind a few things. It was built around the design. VW started with the look and then forced the engineers to work around it. Unlike the McLaren F1 whose looks were a function of what was best for aerodynamics, the Veyron was forced to conform to certain standard making the job that much more difficult.

It is an exercise in excess and Gordon Murray is quite correct in his criticisms of it, saying it is a complete waste. If all that engineering talent and money was put into making it lighter and a better driving car instead of trying to break the F1's top speed record, we would likely have a supercar that is a true successor to the F1.

Instead, they set these lofty power goals and then forced a dual clutch transmission into it that cost $250k just to be able to handle what the motor was putting out. It is ridiculously excessive but for that excess you would expect a lot more than barely being able to top the "old" F1 and I doubt the Veyron could beat it around a proper road course. For a quad turbo 16 cylinder you just expect a bit more, it certainly isn't as efficient as a top of the line supercar should be. I believe the overrated moniker to be accurate, that does not mean the car is not amazing.
    So it "only" traps 142 huh? what other production cars have done that? the super sport went 267 i know thats not that fast,when it raced the f1 it only beat it by about 9 car lenths, here is some more ss numbers
    0-60 mph in under 2.5 seconds
    Quarter mile in 9.7 seconds
    0-100-0 mph in 9.2 seconds
    0-200-0 mph in 25.6 seconds
    WOW nines at the track with an interior like a rolls royce!! that sucks

you mentioned they should have made a lighter better car, lighter than what?better at what? they wanted the fastest most luxurious car on the planet and they did that, you dont think they could have built a 2900lb race car if thats what they wanted?? you cant even talk in an f1 its too loud in there!!! also keep in mind there is not much data or test on this car, because its so composed with all that power i would bet that ss would give allot of lighter cars trouble around a track

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for clarifying that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well with a v16 and 4 turbos, i woudlnt expect it to be running anything lower than that. but it is overrated bro. do you not get it? if i had the money of course i would get it. point is, it sucks at handling and isnt meant for anything else besides looking cool, going fast in a straight line and eating gas like a plane.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So it "only" traps 142 huh? what other production cars have done that? the super sport went 267 i know thats not that fast,when it raced the f1 it only beat it by about 9 car lenths, here is some more ss numbers
    0-60 mph in under 2.5 seconds
    Quarter mile in 9.7 seconds
    0-100-0 mph in 9.2 seconds
    0-200-0 mph in 25.6 seconds
    WOW nines at the track with an interior like a rolls royce!! that sucks

you mentioned they should have made a lighter better car, lighter than what?better at what? they wanted the fastest most luxurious car on the planet and they did that, you dont think they could have built a 2900lb race car if thats what they wanted?? you cant even talk in an f1 its too loud in there!!! also keep in mind there is not much data or test on this car, because its so composed with all that power i would bet that ss would give allot of lighter cars trouble around a track
    If the measure of a car is trap speed the Veyron fails miserably. You have Saleen S7 twin turbo's that can crush it in that respect or twin turbo Vipers for that matter. It isn't really even all that far ahead of a Zr-1 for 10 times the money.

This is why I think it is overrated, and why I think others who understand what a true supercar is get it:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gordon Murray
    In summing up the Bugatti Veyron, had I not driven it, I would have great difficulty in deciding just what it stands for and where it fits in. To be absolutely fair, the Veyron team did not set out to challenge the McLaren F1, Enzo or Porsche GT as the ultimate driving machine. This it certainly doesn't do at two tons with turbo lag. It also falls short of the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and the Mercedes SLR McLaren for high-performance touring because of the outward vision problems and lack of luggage space. Where it absolutely succeeds is as a massive technical achievement — a statement for VW AG. And it will be guaranteed a place in automotive history because of the performance figures.
    It was a car designed for VW to show off, not to be the best super car ever built, because it isn't. It is just a huge, heavy, powerful, expensive, status symbol, nothing more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the idea of 'overrated' is being taken a little wrong. Under of the context of a professional athlete being overrated I think it becomes more clear. If a quarterback is overrated no one is arguing that he isn't a professional that can walk all over nearly everyone in the world in that specific sport. They are just saying that within the options of professional quarterbacks there are other people that could do as good or better for less or with less hype.
    IMHO- is the Veyron 100% amazing? Yes. Is it 1 million plus dollars amazing? No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what would a car have to do to be a million dollars good? i dont think anything because the bar is so high now that the gap wont be that big, Sticky i said what production cars(meaning stock) have that trap speed. The f1 is a race car that is gutted and has nothing in it, that car is a luxury car so they dont have the same mission, as far as the argument about the hp needed for that top speed when you start getting over 200 it starts taking more and more power to get more speed, and the ss weighs less,has different aero, more power, re mapped gear box, etc so they changed allot

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would take this over a Veyron SS, any day:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GT3 Click here to enlarge
    Made with a smaller budget, makes more efficient use of its power, and has a better power to weight ratio. THAT defined what a supercar truly is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast