Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

CNBC Threatens Military Benefits - Health Care & Retirement

WTF is wrong with people? I dont understand how smart people can be so idiotic...

http://capwiz.com/eangus/issues/alert/?alertid=19021761

Informational Alert: CNBC Suggests Cutting Military Benefits to Ease Deficit Woes
    Healthcare & Retirement Benefits Examined

The Issue: On Monday, 25 October, CNBC began a series of stories and interviews designed to tackle the budget deficit issue. This is certainly an important issue to all of us and worthy of discussion. Unfortunately the first installment, which examined the potential savings to the country if military benefits were cut, contained inaccuracies and generalizations, along with an anti-military bias, and is therefore misleading to the general public.
    Background: All three participants in the video, Erin Burdett, CNBC Reporter; Todd Harrison, Fellow, Defense Budget Studies, Center for Strategic & Budgetary Assessments; and Mackenzie Eaglen, Research Fellow, National Security Studies, Heritage Foundation seemed to be operating under several major misconceptions, including the impression that service members are not veterans unless injured or disabled. Ms. Burdett initially commented, “We’re not talking about veterans or anyone who was injured.” Mr. Harrison echoed her sentiments when he said, “people often confuse military retirees with veterans and they think you’d be cutting benefits in some way & really this is just asking military retirees to pay a higher share of the annual premium. It’s not actually reducing the benefit they receive”. Webster’s New World Dictionary clearly defines a veteran as, “a person of long experience in some service, especially military service; any person who has served in the armed forces of a country.”
    Early in the interview, Ms. Burdett states that America can either “cut back on military prowess or cut back elsewhere. So, what if America cut back on military benefits?” She then went on to comment that “$6 billion a year, 60% of the cuts proposed by Secretary Gates” could be realized by increasing the monthly TRICARE fee paid by uninjured military retirees “saving massive amounts of money that would move the needle on America’s debt crisis.” Can Ms. Burdett, in good conscience, truly condone placing 60% of the burden of meeting Secretary Gates’ proposed budget cuts on the backs of military personnel and their families?
    EANGUS recognizes that there may be areas within the Department of Defense (DoD) budget capable of supporting such cuts, but benefits and compensation should be the very last areas considered.
    The tone of the interview suggests that benefits have become too generous for those who dedicate their lives, and spend a career in the military, serving their nation. Service members essentially pay their health care "premiums" up front through the years of dedicated service, selfless sacrifice, and exposure to danger. EANGUS has fought every attempt to increase TRICARE fees over the years and will continue to do so because it is the right thing to do.
    Both Harrison and Eaglen attempt to relate military and civilian jobs, benefits, and health plans, commenting that “benefits account for more than 50% of active duty compensation, which is more than they ever did at General Motors (GM),” but this is a ludicrous comparison. After all, GM civilians were never deployed into a war zone, to be constantly exposed to danger, in the field for weeks at a time, separated from their family and friends, on duty/call 24/7 – 365 days a year, in the worst conditions, etc. There are no civilian jobs comparable to service in the military.
    Perhaps the greatest fallacy purported in the video was the example offered by Ms. Eaglen concerning the amount of retired pay a colonel with 20 years' service receives, “$75K-$90K from the government annually with a pension.” This, too, is completely inaccurate and misleading. Inaccurate, because according to the Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS), an 0-6 with over 20 years of service would earn approximately $54,500 in retirement pay annually. Misleading, because officers only account for 20% of the military forces, while the other 80% are enlisted service members. Therefore, the example used in this one-sided interview is the exception, rather than the rule.
    Unfortunately, this video points out the obvious lack of understanding of and appreciation for the military and the needs of its service members, veterans, and their families. With this in mind, EANGUS suggests that before cutting any military benefits, the following should be considered:
    1. the 24/7, 365-day commitment required of military personnel;
    2. the commitment National Guard members make both to their states & to the federal government;
    3. the fact that less than 1% of all Americans choose to make this commitment to the defense of our country;
    4. the strain on families & careers experienced by military personnel;
    5. the freedoms they enjoy are provided by these dedicated service members; not GM employees or career politicians, but by career service members (active, National Guard and Reserve)
    Hopefully any future coverage on these issues will be more thoroughly researched, balanced, and therefore, truly beneficial.
    To view the video news clip follow this link:http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1624735215&play=1
    Take the Following Action: By using the “Write to Congress” feature on the EANGUS Web site at www.eangus.org, you can IMMEDIATELY e-mail, call, or write Mr. Mark Hoffman, President, CNBC. A sample letter is included in our “Write to Congress” feature. You can e-mail the pre-written message or edit the sample letter as you desire. This is the quickest and most effective method of expressing your views. Also, contact your friends and family and urge them to use Write to Congress as well. If you have questions, please contact Diane Zumatto, Legislative Director, at dzumatto@eangus.org.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you expect from CNBC?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

So hurt the people that put their life on the line to get these benefits? How about taking away the benefits from the people who say... are here illegally or abuse welfare by having more kids to get greater benefits? Punish the people who deserve benefits the most, smart work CNBC.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Simply ludicrous. The analogy is so obviously flawed its sad. I guess it's another example of why mandatory military service isn't an all bad idea
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Libs ruining it for everyone....the people in the armed forces shouldn't have to pay a cent for anything.

I had a customer in my shop today who was a ww2 vet. He was upset over how this country has turned out. 70 years ago civilians were eager to lend a hand, he hitchhiked his way from NY to VA. Back then you weren't allowed off deck without wearing your dress uniform...now they want you in plain clothes cuse it might cause an outrage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Libs ruining it for everyone....the people in the armed forces shouldn't have to pay a cent for anything.

I had a customer in my shop today who was a ww2 vet. He was upset over how this country has turned out. 70 years ago civilians were eager to lend a hand, he hitchhiked his way from NY to VA. Back then you weren't allowed off deck without wearing your dress uniform...now they want you in plain clothes cuse it might cause an outrage.

WWI-WWII-Kor.- and 'Nam Vets have my utmost respect man.. i know what i have done, but thinking about fighting in those conditions scares the $#@! outta me those men were some HARD Motherfurckers..

anyway, i never ran across anyone that didnt thank me for my service, which i dont like being on the spot for that btw. but one of my guys last year not long after we got back, told me he was at the supermarket getting food, and some early 20's chick with a baby in her arms came over and said, "so how many babies did you kill while you were over there?"
    he said, with a stern, crazy and intense look, head kinda cocked to one side, looked right at her kid and replied "I guess not enough.."and then slowly moved his stern look from the baby, back to to the mother.

LOL, he said she immidiatly dropped the smartass smirk, turned and walked the $#@! outta there fearing for their safety Click here to enlarge

(he wouldnt have done anything though, he just had a baby born a few weeks before as well)

i just dont get how poepple get away with being stupid, and then dumb people believe it because "it was on tv"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    some early 20's chick with a baby in her arms came over and said, "so how many babies did you kill while you were over there?"
    he said, with a stern, crazy and intense look, head kinda cocked to one side, looked right at her kid and replied "I guess not enough.."and then slowly moved his stern look from the baby, back to to the mother.

LOL, he said she immidiatly dropped the smartass smirk, turned and walked the $#@! outta there fearing for their safety
    Classic!

I hate $#@!es like that, hate them.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale