Close

View Poll Results: Mod around warranty or no?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's my car I do what I want!

4 66.67%
  • Meh...BMW parts are expensive...I mod around the warranty...

2 33.33%
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Forsake the warranty? Or mod around it?

Just wondering what's the general opinion is, I have my ideas but I'm not sure...

Do most people mod around the BMW factory warranty or do they just say screw it and just mod to their hearts content? Post up your opinion and why...also if you do mod around the warranty, how do you do so?

D'oh forgot to add the option of your car already being out of warranty...sticky can you add that in? Click here to enlarge
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Mod around it if you are concerned about it in any way.

If you are going all out, you already made the decision to forfeit it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think if you're asking the question, then you probably care about your warranty.

It's definitely a pay to play type of hobby. If you do ANY mods, you have to be ready to face the possibility that your warranty will be voided. I've heard of dealerships that void warranties simply because they find evidence that the ECU storage has been tampered with. I don't know how enforceable that is, but it does show to what lengths some dealerships will take it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah I've heard horror stories about the dealerships being super harsh on people, but just wondering. I've seen lots of cars that would seem like their under warranty being modded like crazy here..haha only if I had the balls/cash to do so... :\

Personally, I do care about the warranty, if I had the cash/connections/knowledge to not worry about it that would be another thing, but I'm in a new place, and this is a brand new hobby for me so...Oh and I'm a student...so I'm still trying to learn the ropes, hopefully by the time my warranty is up I'll know enough to go crazy with my car haha...but we'll see.

Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:EDIT:

Lol, just read your post! Glad you aren't going overboard blindly! Enjoy your car! It's a beaut!

:ORIGINAL:

I just wanted to add one more thing here. I think I read it correctly that you are a student and living off reserves for now. I think that's great! Good luck in school! However, you may want to think very very hard before going further than adding a piggyback and running the more conservative maps. Once you start getting into the downpipes and meth kits, ask yourself if you're ready to lose your warranty (even if the chances are low).

Will you be able to remove all of these things before taking it in for maintenance or warranty work? Can you afford to maintain and repair this car if something were to happen and your warranty were voided? It's VERY VERY tempting to mod these cars to within an inch of it's life with a relatively low cost of entry with the N54s especially, but make no mistake, these cars are EXPENSIVE to fix.

People are gonna call me Debbie Downer and yadda yadda yadda. I don't really care. You need to evaluate your situation and only you can decide whether or not you want to continue. There's potentially a $12k engine at risk. I've personally blown up an engine myself (4G63T) and found myself carless for a while and MUCH lighter in the wallet. Thankfully, on the conservative maps either one of these piggybacks seem fairly harmless. But, with your enthusiasm, it'll be hard with the higher maps just a gas pedal or DTC button away to stay away from them. Continue your research and then decide. Don't just jump into it.

I wasn't going to say anything, because i'm already the crabby old man, but you brought up the warranty question and I thought the lessons I learned back then might be relavent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I've kept my warranty thus far and hope to have it until it expires normally. I am however ready to pay for playing. My thoughts are if it would have broke regardless of what I have done, they should cover it. If on the other hand I do something to damage something it's on me.

IMHO just don't be blatant and you'll be fine
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Good news...I just got back from talking to my tint and sounds guys (they have been around for a long while) and while I was leaving a guy with the local BMW dealership shirt walked in. The owner introduced me to him and we got to talking, he also has a 535i that he tuned already. We chatted for quite a while, and he straight up told me that as long as I called him before I brought the car in and as long as it wasn't a blatant/ridiculous failure, he would cover me on the warranty and inspection and stuff that usually we don't like to follow. Yeah I've thought about the whole situation with me pushing the boundaries...I decided that I'm not going to push the boundaries of the boost or engine, but do mild and permanent alterations when I get the chance/money which should be decently soon. I do small odd jobs and fix computers and stuff like that for people. So that should hold me over for a bit...but...you can never have enough money hahaha...thanks for the input guys... Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hworang00 Click here to enlarge
    Good news...I just got back from talking to my tint and sounds guys (they have been around for a long while) and while I was leaving a guy with the local BMW dealership shirt walked in. The owner introduced me to him and we got to talking, he also has a 535i that he tuned already. We chatted for quite a while, and he straight up told me that as long as I called him before I brought the car in and as long as it wasn't a blatant/ridiculous failure, he would cover me on the warranty and inspection and stuff that usually we don't like to follow. Yeah I've thought about the whole situation with me pushing the boundaries...I decided that I'm not going to push the boundaries of the boost or engine, but do mild and permanent alterations when I get the chance/money which should be decently soon. I do small odd jobs and fix computers and stuff like that for people. So that should hold me over for a bit...but...you can never have enough money hahaha...thanks for the input guys... Click here to enlarge
    That's awesome! I need to find me one of those...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

my thing is if you have to think about it, dont mod

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It's an N54...you can't not mod it. Its like having a supra and saying you don't want to up the boost Click here to enlarge

Play it safe if you're worried and get a JB+ to get a little taste...but once it hits you...the bug bites hard! (mod bug that is)