Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noob with questions

Hi guys,
    I just picked up a 2011 335is and have been snooping around the forum for about a week.
    I spent about 8 hours on here the first day Click here to enlarge

I have a couple of weird questions about the car and hope some of you may have answers:

Today I turned the DTC to inactive and punched it coming out of a corner to get it into a drift and as the wheels started to spin the car was sideways and very much under control but the DTC kicked in anyways and cut power to the wheels Click here to enlarge. Is there any way to truly disable the DTC?

I'm going to modify the seat bolsters on the bottom cushion because they are too narrow. I'm not fat but I have big legs... Ok, I digress - How can I remove the seat and reinstall it without triggering an airbag or other dash warning light?

I'm seriously considering an ECU tune, exhaust, and aircleaner and I've been reading a lot about all of that and I'm starting to understand it more. I'll have some specific questions about that stuff later I'm sure.

Thanks and here's a pic of the new car:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Gorgeous car. I love those wheels. If i had them, i would have never went aftermarket.

As for the DTC, hold it for 5-6 seconds to truly disable everything. 1 press only deactivates traction, but because you started going sideways, the stabilization still kicked in.

No idea about the seats, though. For the codes, your probably going to need a BT to reset those, im not sure if just clearing them will do the trick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Gorgeous car. I love those wheels. If i had them, i would have never went aftermarket.

As for the DTC, hold it for 5-6 seconds to truly disable everything. 1 press only deactivates traction, but because you started going sideways, the stabilization still kicked in.

No idea about the seats, though. For the codes, your probably going to need a BT to reset those, im not sure if just clearing them will do the trick.
    Thank you Click here to enlarge

Yes I now the levels of limited TC and total deactivation - I held the button for 6 seconds or so til the dash indicated complete deactivation but the TC still intervened.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

did it intervene or just show you that it was slipping?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Nice ride! We've been having really good results with the JB+ used on top of the 335is. We suggest the min setting which winds up giving you around +3psi across the board.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    did it intervene or just show you that it was slipping?
    It shut the motor down and stropped the tires from spinning...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've been having really good results with the JB+
    Terry, I was hoping to go a little farther with it than that Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You need to disable the DSC Dynamic Stability Control. The DTC only goes half way. To do this shut down the car in N and then turn it back on by holding the start button down for 6 seconds and pressing the brake as you would in P. I always do it before I race. Be careful on hard braking because doing it that way will also disable the ABS.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    You need to disable the DSC Dynamic Stability Control. The DTC only goes half way. To do this shut down the car in N and then turn it back on by holding the start button down for 6 seconds and pressing the brake as you would in P. I always do it before I race. Be careful on hard braking because doing it that way will also disable the ABS.
    is this written anywhere?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

is this only for an automatic? ive done this in a manual and my abs has still been active Click here to enlarge do you need to be stopped? i start/stop almost every time stopped in neutral, most of the time with the clutch and brake down, but i dont think ive ever held down the button for 6 secs. where did you find this info out?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is weird because I have actually taken the car drifting (at least 1.5 years ago) and simply held the traction button and the car responded very well to it. Traction never kicked in and neither did ABS when the car was completely sideways. Might be something new like Mercedes has always been doing but that's just my experience.

Good Luck!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the tip fr305, now how about the seat? anybody know how to avoid a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flynbulldog Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the tip fr305, now how about the seat? anybody know how to avoid a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light?
    Is this something the BT tool can clear?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried to disable the DSC according to your instructions but there was no indication that DSC was disabled. Should I see some sort of light or other indication? how do I know when the DSC is disabled?
    I did not go try the car because there is no safe place to execute a drift near my house Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I think I mistaken a step. You need to do it in Drive. Shut the car off while in DRIve by pressing the stop button until it shuts down. Then turn it back on while in Drive.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

it wont shut off while in drive.. its a safety feature

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It will Dont press it and let go you have to Hold it down.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    is this only for an automatic? ive done this in a manual and my abs has still been active Click here to enlarge do you need to be stopped? i start/stop almost every time stopped in neutral, most of the time with the clutch and brake down, but i dont think ive ever held down the button for 6 secs. where did you find this info out?
    I think I mistaken a step. You need to do it in Drive. Shut the car off while in DRIve by pressing the stop button until it shuts down. Then turn it back on while in Drive.
    again, is this only for autos? if so why is that?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

ill try it, but only to help you in your quest for killing me..

if im not on here posting tomorrow, you guys will know what finally did me in Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you're simply removing the seats while parked: disconnect the battery first, that will prevent a code. Then connect it again after you reinstall the seats.

If you want to switch to racing seats for a track day. I believe EAS sells some connectors that emulate the seat being there. Or you can buy a BT Tool to clear the codes.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    If you're simply removing the seats while parked: disconnect the battery first, that will prevent a code. Then connect it again after you reinstall the seats.

If you want to switch to racing seats for a track day. I believe EAS sells some connectors that emulate the seat being there. Or you can buy a BT Tool to clear the codes.
    Thanks, I thought that was the way to do it but I was unsure if the ECU had to be in sleep mode first.

I haven't tried the off/on in drive thing yet, It's been real cold here today and I've been in garage working on my bike all day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope doesn't work with DCT... when you shut the car off it automatically goes into park and you cannot put it into drive with the engine off...
    any other suggestions for disabling the stability control?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Nope doesn't work with DCT... when you shut the car off it automatically goes into park and you cannot put it into drive with the engine off...
    any other suggestions for disabling the stability control?
    What year is your car?

I don't see why they would make it so you can't disable the DCT, launch control works by disabling it.

Seems they have have done a similar thing they did with the 6 speeds on the E60 M5's which is not allow you to completely disable it. If that is so... there is nothing you can do.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What year is your car?

I don't see why they would make it so you can't disable the DCT, launch control works by disabling it.

Seems they have have done a similar thing they did with the 6 speeds on the E60 M5's which is not allow you to completely disable it. If that is so... there is nothing you can do.
    Sticky, The car is a 2011, I believe it is the only 335 n54 model with the 7spd dual clutch trans. I have a feeling that you cannot fully disable the stability control or the traction control.
    For a sports car that's a shame because those things will not allow full-on autocross or drift events... Too bad, it's hard to get a real enthusiast car anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Sticky, The car is a 2011, I believe it is the only 335 n54 model with the 7spd dual clutch trans. I have a feeling that you cannot fully disable the stability control or the traction control.
    For a sports car that's a shame because those things will not allow full-on autocross or drift events... Too bad, it's hard to get a real enthusiast car anymore.
    I agree, it is very difficult to get a real enthusiast car.

Keep in mind, BMW did this same thing with the manual M5 and they ended up revising the software due to complaint about not being able to disable it completely. The same could certainly be done for you if in fact there is no way to disable it completely. You need to get more owners though to voice the same concern though.