Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt Click here to enlarge
    yeah, but 5mall5nail5 only had 290 wtq

Thats just not up to par. Click here to enlarge

He's leanring though.
    He has come a long way. Click here to enlarge
    Didn't he say something was off on the coil pickup wire and it wasn't reading properly, and the clutch let go?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Jon congrats on the raping power levels on pump, and 50/50 meth/water on the earth where many weep. Hi 5
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Didn't he say something was off on the coil pickup wire and it wasn't reading properly, and the clutch let go?
    I know he clowned on a few about not having TQ data and speed graphing. Odd to see his dyno with no TQ and speed chart.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    I know he clowned on a few about not having TQ data and speed graphing. Odd to see his dyno with no TQ and speed chart.
    There is a bit of irony there. That just goes to show we all should not be so quick to judge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice numbers bro, congrats!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Yes. Can you imagine?

I agree. It is funny, but unfortunate.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There is a bit of irony there. That just goes to show we all should not be so quick to judge.
    Irony is very different,
    but an hilarious relation we can see in this situation.
    Click here to enlarge
    milkt org

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I for one am impressed it looks like a nice graph! I would love to see what he can do with some race gas..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Irony is very different,
    It is? I think situational irony could be applied here.

Additionally, I believe it was you who stated:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt
    Can I ask for rpm to be shown instead of mph (speed)?
    We love to see the torque curve over here.
    We like to see it related to RPM too.

You know this.
    No biggie. Its the best.
    The torque curves would've done it.
    Instead... a confusion cloud
    Hmmmm.... Click here to enlarge

Why do you level these critiques at HPF yet I do not see them leveled in relation to this topic? Why is there an inconsistency in the way your criticisms are applied?

It would seem if a newer BMW posts a chart that does not meet your self-imposed standards you are quite boisterous in expressing it, yet if it is a BMW running an older motor from an E36 you blatantly ignore it.

That just seems, odd? Can one pick and choose the application?

No one is going to fault our good friend here as I applaud him for getting impressive dyno numbers on his beautiful E34 I just find it odd you seem to have a glaring inconsistency in the way you apply your dyno "standards."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Anyways, I was reading up on bfc and saw his datalog for the dyno which i must say is really cool.

Im really confused at this point so im hoping you can clear it up for me.

You said you were running 28-29psi but on bfc you say 34psi. The datalog also shows 34psi here. Also you say you didnt go to redline (which is still true) on the datalog it shows 7062 which only 40rpm shy from your redline.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by TaZaM3; 10-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anyways, I was reading up on bfc and saw his datalog for the dyno which i must say is really cool.

Im really confused at this point so im hoping you can clear it up for me.

You said you were running 28-29psi but on bfc you say 34psi. The datalog also shows 34psi here. Also you say you didnt go to redline (which is still true) on the datalog it shows 7062 which only 40rpm shy from your redline.

http://jonkensy.com/gallery/albums/u.../10001/685.jpg
    Taza - the vertical line is the moment in time of the log. See the cyan (blue) vertical line with all the numbers next to it? That's where the log is at that time. What happens is when you let off the gas you get some /\/\/ squiggles on the RPM line which you can faintly see since the ECU is logging a rapid up/down shutter of RPM which may have kicked it into thinking 7062. But, that's after the throttle was released as you can see by the purple line. I think that faked the ECU into thinking it hit 7062. Also, I am not certain but that log might have been running when the clutch slipped after - I can't remember if its a separate log or if the last few runs were all in the same log though if this was the log where the clutch slipped I would have slammed the limiter at 7100, which I definitely heard in person. The numbers on the left are "max" in the log, so if the motor hit 7062 RPM anywhere in that log, the max and the min are stored on the left. The vertical line is what the motor was doing during the log at that point, which is 300 kpa and 6900 RPM. The reason for the "34 psi" is because that's a calculated field in the log viewing software. I set that a long time ago on my laptop and I put the wrong KPA in.

When you say "tell me what my PSI is" it asks for "What is the ambient KPA?" I must have put something in or maybe not at all. I didn't mean to even include that value as I don't really look at "boost" i just go by KPA. But the PSI field is calculated as MAP signal - AMBIENT(kPA) converted to PSI - ie the ECU doesn't log "psi" thats an in-software calculation after the fact. Whatever the MAP signal says is the pressure the ECU registered. So for instance if you put 100 kPA as ambient (which it is at sea level) an then did 300 kpa on the map signal, boost should show 200 kPA, which when converted to PSI is like 28 or 29 psi, which is what I am going by.

When on the dyno, especially since this was my first time, things were a bit chaotic. Granted I was going by the hour and didn't have to rush you just kind of have this feeling of "$#@! I have to go, lets go!" - between the dyno operator hanging around and the car getting warm, etc. My next time I will be better prepared to log everything and keep track of stuff.

Oh yeah - and the RPM. Its ironic but its not really my fault. We did Jays car using a brown wireon his coil. He has OBD2 coils and harness though. I didn't note which pin was brown, just that the wire was brown. We then did mine and I guess whatever pin I did on Jays was right, but the color on mine was different which made it the wrong wire. I actually told the operator that I trigger the timing light by clamping around all 3 wires, but he insisted that wouldn't work - not really my fault since I intended to do it my way but he preferred otherwise. Obviously if this werent a dynojet and or I was a company dynoing these cars regularly I would have not have had an issue. I might try configuring an aux output to pulse with my tachometer so next time I can just use the ECU to output the RPM directly to the dyno, no inductive pickup.

Also of interest, maybe, is the pink line Ana2. Its just raw voltage, but that's the HFS-6 flow meter showing whats happening.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 10-25-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Taza - the vertical line is the moment in time of the log. See the cyan (blue) vertical line with all the numbers next to it? That's where the log is at that time. What happens is when you let off the gas you get some /\/\/ squiggles on the RPM line which you can faintly see since the ECU is logging a rapid up/down shutter of RPM which may have kicked it into thinking 7062. But, that's after the throttle was released as you can see by the purple line. I think that faked the ECU into thinking it hit 7062. Also, I am not certain but that log might have been running when the clutch slipped after - I can't remember if its a separate log or if the last few runs were all in the same log though if this was the log where the clutch slipped I would have slammed the limiter at 7100, which I definitely heard in person. The numbers on the left are "max" in the log, so if the motor hit 7062 RPM anywhere in that log, the max and the min are stored on the left. The vertical line is what the motor was doing during the log at that point, which is 300 kpa and 6900 RPM. The reason for the "34 psi" is because that's a calculated field in the log viewing software. I set that a long time ago on my laptop and I put the wrong KPA in.

When you say "tell me what my PSI is" it asks for "What is the ambient KPA?" I must have put something in or maybe not at all. I didn't mean to even include that value as I don't really look at "boost" i just go by KPA. But the PSI field is calculated as MAP signal - AMBIENT(kPA) converted to PSI - ie the ECU doesn't log "psi" thats an in-software calculation after the fact. Whatever the MAP signal says is the pressure the ECU registered. So for instance if you put 100 kPA as ambient (which it is at sea level) an then did 300 kpa on the map signal, boost should show 200 kPA, which when converted to PSI is like 28 or 29 psi, which is what I am going by.

When on the dyno, especially since this was my first time, things were a bit chaotic. Granted I was going by the hour and didn't have to rush you just kind of have this feeling of "$#@! I have to go, lets go!" - between the dyno operator hanging around and the car getting warm, etc. My next time I will be better prepared to log everything and keep track of stuff.
    Gotchya, but why does the MAP (at that current time of logging) say 330 though? Which would convert exactly to 34psi (which is what the psi says as well). Is the ECU reading registering incorrectly as well?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Gotchya, but why does the MAP (at that current time of logging) say 330 though? Which would convert exactly to 34psi (which is what the psi says as well). Is the ECU reading registering incorrectly as well?
    It doesn't - look on the vertical line. See where theres a purple 100, blue 300, and yellow 6894? Those are the values at that moment in time. 300 KPA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Why do you level these critiques at HPF yet I do not see them leveled in relation to this topic? Why is there an inconsistency in the way your criticisms are applied?

It would seem if a newer BMW posts a chart that does not meet your self-imposed standards you are quite boisterous in expressing it, yet if it is a BMW running an older motor from an E36 you blatantly ignore it.

No one is going to fault our good friend here as I applaud him for getting impressive dyno numbers on his beautiful E34 I just find it odd you seem to have a glaring inconsistency in the way you apply your dyno "standards."
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't - look on the vertical line. See where theres a purple 100, blue 300, and yellow 6894? Those are the values at that moment in time. 300 KPA
    Ok I see that.

What is the chartbox under the graph showing? The time matches what the vertical line is at so im thinking the fields are showing what the car is doing at that vertical line, lots of the fields match but MAP says 330 there which is literally the only thing not matching.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

again, no

Situation Irony is based on how we EXPECT a situation to end or result.
    If you expected 5mall5nail5 graph to have torque then it is ironic to YOU.

I didn't expect it
    so no irony.
    Sorry.

wow,
    you are less aware than I already considered.
    All your words wasted.

I was the FIRST HUMAN during the important gathering to ask him,
    "So what happened to the torque?"

Bip
    Beep

I may be biased toward things and hypocritical,
    but we all are
    and those who point it out to others are as futile and selfish as the most futile.

How you see me is SO much lesser than.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    milkt org

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

again, no

I didn't expect it
    so no irony.
    Sorry.

wow,
    All your words wasted.

Bip
    Beep

but we all are
    and those who point it out to others are as futile and selfish as the most futile.

Click here to enlarge
    Where did that take place?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

again, no

I didn't expect it
    so no irony.
    Sorry.

wow,
    All your words wasted.

Bip
    Beep

but we all are

Click here to enlarge
    If you didnt expect him to have TQ reading on the dyno sheet, why did you ask him after?

How can you not expect someone to show the TQ reading when a couple weeks ago that same person was criticizing others for not showing it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

If you didnt expect him to have TQ reading on the dyno sheet, why did you ask him after?

How can you not expect someone to show the TQ reading when a couple weeks ago that same person was criticizing others for not showing it?
    I think its because no 1 knew he was going to hit up a dyno. It was a hidden dyno event. Many wept, but all is well now. Hi 5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok I see that.

What is the chartbox under the graph showing? The time matches what the vertical line is at so im thinking the fields are showing what the car is doing at that vertical line, lots of the fields match but MAP says 330 there which is literally the only thing not matching.
    I wouldn't take the bottom too literally - for instance it says "Target Lambda 12.1" I can assure you I don't target 12.1 @ 29 psi. This log viewer is called MegaLogViewer, it's for MegaSquirt and me and the developer hacked it up to read my logs because I HATE the DTA log viewer. The line graph is right - the bottom stuff is $#@! that the application analyzes to compare your tune and attempt to "VE Analyze" and adjust fuel/spark. This version of the log reader is actually a beta (hence the title bar). I've only tested the graphing area of the application. I told you for instance that we did a pull at 28-29 PSI and THEN we cranked it to 34 PSI and the clutch didn't hold. I know for certain this run wasn't at 34 PSI. The PSI function won't work since I didn't configure it, the crank and cam position don't make sense, my target lambda is not 12.1:1, etc. I just had this software modified so that I can read my logs back logically and view many attributes easily. The stock software for DTA is a Peugeot race car app that is absolutely confusing to the max and requires you set each log file up for a specific race track lol. I usually omit the bottom portion in screen shots because its confusing.

Guys - I obviously made an attempt to show torque - the difference is I listened to the dyno operator regarding picking up the signal and it wasn't right. First time on this car. If I were a company with 50 cars dyno'd you'd expect me to have figured out how to read the torque, yes?
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 10-25-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This weeping, beeping, human thing is the lamest thing on the internet...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't take the bottom too literally - for instance it says "Target Lambda 12.1" I can assure you I don't target 12.1 @ 29 psi. This log viewer is called MegaLogViewer, it's for MegaSquirt and me and the developer hacked it up to read my logs because I HATE the DTA log viewer. The line graph is right - the bottom stuff is $#@! that the application analyzes to compare your tune and attempt to "VE Analyze" and adjust fuel/spark. This version of the log reader is actually a beta (hence the title bar). I've only tested the graphing area of the application. I told you for instance that we did a pull at 28-29 PSI and THEN we cranked it to 34 PSI and the clutch didn't hold. I know for certain this run wasn't at 34 PSI.
    Ok, now another question.

You say you cranked it up for another run, so that means the log for that run should show psi at relatively 39.x psi since this one shows 34.1 psi? You also say the log max value is the max value for the entire log left/right, but that max value shows 34.2psi not 39.x psi. So all the fields below are accurate except for MAP which is 330 = 34psi, and the target lambda. I dont get it, shouldn't a log be accurate so it can actually be useful? This thing is "hacked" like you say, things dont match, things match etc..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

This weeping, beeping, human thing is the lamest thing on the internet...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, now another question.

You say you cranked it up for another run, so that means the log for that run should show psi at relatively 39.x psi since this one shows 34.1 psi? You also say the log max value is the max value for the entire log left/right, but that max value shows 34.2psi not 39.x psi. So all the fields below are accurate except for MAP which is 330 = 34psi, and the target lambda. I dont get it, shouldn't a log be accurate so it can actually be useful? This thing is "hacked" like you say, things dont match, things match etc..
    Things always match, except for the PSI field. Its calculated. Here, let me show you.

When you open the log viewer configuration you get this:

Click here to enlarge

I just opened that for the first time on my desktop here. I never use the Boost(PSI) function on my desktop because I know what kPA is. I must have either accidentally loaded that function (which puts it in whatever blank field you have available) or loaded it and put in some whacky value or took the default on my laptop. My laptop is where the other log came from. So here's with "100" put in for where that 78 is and another log (a 679 rwhp pull):

Click here to enlarge

You'll notice the bottom now shows an appropriate target lambda, boost, kpa, etc. I dunno, no one uses that bottom part it serves a whole other role. When you have a MegaSquirt log and you open it, you can click "Open MSQ" and you get your fuel and spark tables and such and it analyzes your AFR at every fuel and spark location and predicts what you want to do. Those gauges below are for playback if you wanted to play the log like a movie 1:1. I doubt Phil got that working when I asked him to convert the software to read my log files (DTA has an entirely different format). Nothing is "hacked" its just a log viewer - its dead on where it counts (the lines). The boost thing is my F up I should have not shown that field and didn't even realize it was showing, and the bottom is just probably not working but is obviously based on the Engine Off kpa in some manner.

But is there some sort of disbelief in my pull or data? I had two very truthful bimmerforums members present and a video lol.

Oh and also no - not every log is on this and not every log was pulled. In DTA I try and pull a log after each run so that it doesn't get over written. The ECU has 2 or 4MB of log space that circle writes. The 685 rwhp log was my best run and I didn't forget to pull that. I got the 679 log before that. But the two other pulls at higher boost I am not sure I got. I don't remember pulling the log (though it was very chaotic when running on the dyno) because you have to turn the motor off and I think we just did back to back pulls and spun tire or clutch and said enough. But I think I did 6 - 7 pulls and only have 2 or 3 log files. I honestly couldn't tell you which pulls were which except I named this one "685.dat" and the other "679.dat"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast