Close

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What's your wash routine?

Fairly simple - my car was "Supagarded" so quite easy to clean.

Pressure washer (125bar) the alloys on full blast, remove any excess dirt on half power, wash car with lambswool wash mitt, dry with a microfibre cloth.

Occasionally polish with Zaino Z5 Pro (superb product) and "sealed" wheels once a quarter with Poor Boys sealant. Seems to work! Not show standard but it always looks pretty clean and shiny. That is until I drive it - lots of mud here in the UK so it doesn't last long!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I take a bucket and fill it up with water and cheap soap.

Grab a sponge, go over the whole car.

Rinse it.

Dry.

Spray on Wax, clean the wheels with wheel cleaner. Spray on tire shine.

Done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I find car shampoo works best - not expensive but leaves a good shine.

Also use wheel cleaner (just before blasting them) which removes the excess dirt. My alloys are a right pain so use Wonder Wheels once in a while to get any really stubborn dirt/tar off.

Inside of the car - vacuum, cloth, occasional window clean with Autoglym stuff and treat the leather with Autoglym (smells great - like a saddle for a horse!) leather conditioner every 4-6 months.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wash with a pH neutral shampoo (Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, Poorboy's World Super Slick and Suds) and the Foamaster II as needed. I like the Foamaster II because it pre-soaks the paint and soaks the whole vehicle in suds. I just keep one bucket for rinsing and this seems to be a very safe and efficient process. I blot dry with two waffle weave towels.

At least 1 - 2 times per year I do a full detail and wash with a shampoo that can safely strip off the old sealant and wax like the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear. Everything else is the same.

Greg @ DI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2 bucket method.

One bucket for the clean stuff, and the 2nd after I've gone over to rinse it in.

I work from the top down, in sections.

Usually save the rims/exhaust for last.

Interior and exterior on different days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    on my daily drivers upkeep...
    I wash 1x a week and it takes about 5 min.
    3d wheel cleaner and pressure wash off
    foam canon the entire car and let soak for 5 min and rinse
    leave out to dry if it's hot or blow off excess water in winter
    I have a mixed tank deionizer for the process
    The above process results are decent but a far cry from a wash mit clean. It keeps the swirls off my cars when I'm in a rush by not touching the paint. between my wife and I we have 5 cars and 3 are outside and none are beaters =)

If the car is filthy
    3d wheel cleaner and pressure wash
    foam cannon the car
    2 bucket method wash
    rinse and dry w/ waffle weaves
    detail the door jambs and wheels w/ QD or waterless carwash

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1) Give the car a complete rinse over first to wash out lose grime and dust.
    2) Micro Fiber mit with soap, start from the top
    3) Soap and rinse, section by section
    4) Tires and wheels, seperate bucket of course

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A few drops of BCD and half a bucket of water

BCD is the best stuff I ever used. I can't find it anywhere but I used to have a full case of it. unfortunately, its all gone but I may have a bit left at my home in NY.
    I'm going to post a picture when I get back and I really hope I can find it somewhere.

It's a 100% biodegradable, concentrated liquid soap. it smells good too.

now I'm using Turtle Wax car wash soap because I'm lazy and my back hurts.

I used to have one of my employees wash my car. I'll do that when I get back to work.

- spray down the car and finish with a fine mist so the water doesn't run off
    - about 1/4 bucket of not too soapy water and a wash mitt. Top to middle
    - about half a bucket of clean water and soap for the hood and the rest of the car. door jams
    - halfway through the wash, new mitt or use the other side. keep blasting the mitt with the hose.
    - windows last
    - leather chamois. rinse with fresh water every few wrings.
    - wheel wells, under the side skirts, wheels, and exhaust tips with the leftover soapy water. Wheel brush and a wash mitt. back wheels first.
    - tires too. brush only. towel dry. easy on the tire gel
    Last edited by e92; 01-03-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I used to use that Mr Clean product where no drying was needed...you know what? That thing worked great, no spots especially on all the glass! Now they don't make the replacement cartridges anymore, you have to pay a premium for them on Amazon, etc.

I also used to use a Carnuba based wax which smelled like a tropical tanning lotion, but honest to God it attacted my arch nemesis* in droves: the yellowjacket/baldfaced wasp! So I quit using any wax...honestly, I can't remember keeping a car longer than 3 years so a standard wash is good enough for me.

*Yes, there is a story behind this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wash my car sometimes. It looks looks clean when I am done. But I don't do this that often because it gets dirty again when I drive it.

I use car wash soap from wal-mart. It's better than dishwashing soap. It doesn't bubble up forever when you spray it with the waterhose. I used to use an old t-shirt to wash my car. Now I use a mitten thing. I use armorall on the tires. It makes them look clean even though they aren't really. That stuff is greasy though. If you really want to be pimp, put rain-x on the windshield. You don't even need windshield wipers when you put that stuff on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1) clean rims using purple power rim cleaner
    2) Rinse entire car
    3) Shampoo one side of the car a time with Turtle Wax Ice shampoo. Then rinse.
    4) Dry using the Absorber
    5) Apply to paint, rims, headlights, and exhaust tips Collonite 845 Insulator Wax using applicator pad to paint, rims, headlights, and exhaust tips.
    6) Remove using microfiber cloths.
    7) Wipe windows with waxy microfiber cloths. Gives same effect as using rain-x but isn't hard on the windshield wipers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it has been a month since i've washed it, but with all the rain....kinda pointless, not to mention it is always in the 50s daytime, 40s night.