Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Check Your Aftermarket Air Filter - I'm glad I did...

First off, this thread is not intended to bad-mouth any particular product or company. This is my experience and I want to share it because others may have similar covert problems. I understand some defects may come in mass production and I don't know if I got a defective product or if this product uses inferior materials. I'm not here to determine that, I just want to share.

I went to swap out my aftermarket air filter (macht-schnell) since I was bringing the car in for service and I didn't want to give the dealership any reason to give me a hard time. In doing so, I noticed the rubber-polymer gasket of the filter which meets the intake was deteriorating. The material was very sticky and adherent to intake connecting piece - so much so that I had to peel it apart and it stretched 2 inches or so before separating. One corner of the rubber edge of the filter (the corner closest to the engine block) appeared to be melted. I took some pics which doesn't do the "malleability" of the material justice. I did pull lightly on the rubber in one pic so you can see what I mean. You can also see from the overhead pic of the whole rubber section how the side closest to the engine heat seems much more affected than the distant section. This really hasn't done any harm. If anything, the stickyness creates a better seal. I am concerned, though, that the seal would be lost over the long term- especially when I see that corner that appears melted. This filter was a little over a year old, and I cleaned it once about a year ago and noticed no abnormality.

In any case, I checked our stock filter and noticed that the material that meets the intake section is a very rigid polymer- quite different than the MS filter. I don't know about the materials of other popular aftermarket filters, but I had heard about rattles and filter collapse - something I didn't experience with the MS filter. I didn't want to risk it so I ordered a K&N filter - a company whose filters I've used for many, many years without problems. It was only $70 shipped and made in the US. Examination showed the connecting rim was a more rigid polymer than the MS but not as rigid as stock. The overall filter and frame was more rigid than the MS and the intake connecting section fit flush into a deep recess in the connecting gasket (see pic). That seemed to be the best part.

Please post any abnormalities you may have noticed with your filter. I run my car hard sometimes (probably a lot more than the average guy, but less than many of the guys on this forum), but it never gets abnormally hot. Of course, it's warm here in Honolulu all year round with some humidity, but there's places in the US where I'd expect more damage if the material deterioration I see here is from heat and humidity. If anyone knows a contact person from the company, I'd be happy to share my problem so they can improve the product.

The first 2 pics are the K&N and next 3 are the Macht Schnell

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Well, I'm not sure what to say. Those pictures speak for themselves, it seems K&N uses a far higher quality lining.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the post, I'll check mine this weekend and report back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

thanks for the post i will have to check my car...why would this happen?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    thanks for the post i will have to check my car...why would this happen?
    Bad material, heat, defect.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale