Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Lets talk brakes..

After so much 100+ driving, and braking, Ive finally done in my brakes and looking to upgrade.
    Now im not tryin to go the BigBrake route. I do want to stay as reasonably priced as possible.

Also want slotted or drilled-preferably both, rotors. Also gonna need some good pads.

I usually go with oem stuff, but i think i could stand to upgrade from the plain stuff the car comes with currently. Of course with more power, i need a better performer anyway.

So, what are some of my options?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I hear Mr. 5 rave about those cool carbon brake pads...maybe they are worth a look?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Rotors are a waste of money IMO. Unless you are constantly tracking the car and need heat to dissipate faster, then there may be an advantage. But for normal circumstances, you won't really see an increase in performance.
    Rotors make sense when doing a BBK, but since you are not, don't waste your time.

Cool carbon brake pads are great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Unfor,

What's your take on the effectiveness of doing upgraded lines with the pads?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

well, are they any lighter? cosmetically they look better, so as long as price reasonable compared to oem, i think its worthwhile.

anyone know a decent brand or place to purchase? hopefully w/o the usual "bmw tax" applied

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Moved out of the engine section.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

LM, i know this isnt the route you're looking for, but i recently did a BBK upgrade. the two piece rotors are much lighter compared to the stock cast single hub/rotor design. the stock calipers are garbage, 1(one) piston all around. the 1 series got lucky and got 6 pistons up front, stock! okay but back to topic, i would consider changing the lines (SS lines), changing to a silicone based fluid (which requires draining all of your stock fluid first, silicone and stock fluid dont mix), and changing pads. those 3 things would be the best option in terms of a money saver. for pads, cool carbon makes good stuff, also look at hawk.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    LM, i know this isnt the route you're looking for, but i recently did a BBK upgrade. the two piece rotors are much lighter compared to the stock cast single hub/rotor design. the stock calipers are garbage, 1(one) piston all around. the 1 series got lucky and got 6 pistons up front, stock! okay but back to topic, i would consider changing the lines (SS lines), changing to a silicone based fluid (which requires draining all of your stock fluid first, silicone and stock fluid dont mix), and changing pads. those 3 things would be the best option in terms of a money saver. for pads, cool carbon makes good stuff, also look at hawk.

hhmm.. how much weight would you say it saved, total across 4 corners?

what rotors did you go with?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

not sure, i didnt weigh them but i lifted the stock assembly and the new one, a big difference if you multiply. i went with brembo's 380mm kit. fronts only for now but the rears are at asr for when i want to install them. here are some pics:

the fluid i upgraded to (silicone based)
    Click here to enlarge

brakes, they are cross drilled and internally slotted i believe:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

You would be surprised but the stock calipers can hold up to some pretty good abuse. The 1 series got 6 piston calipers and the pad surface area might be greater, but the rotor size is smaller which means less leverage to exert when slowing the car down.

Cool carbon pads or EBC pads work great. If you want to do rotors i can suggest doing DBA stock sized rotors. They make 3 different stages, the highest (5000 series) being 2 piece rotors, but stock size. This allows you to take advantage of the weight savings as well as better heat dissipation...and being able to run a stock sized wheel in the winter if needed to.

Stainless brake lines are also high priority. There are 6 lines total that can be replaced, which offer vastly improved pedal feel. Silcone brake fluid, although nice in the fact its boiling point is practically infinity (exaggerating a little lol) is expensive and it is more compressible that regular brake fluid...meaning the pedal could have more of a spongy feel to it. A good brand DOT4 brake fluid will do just fine for you for what you are looking to do with it....i had several porsches running super blue and AP Racing 600 fluid with out any issues at the track. The higher end Porsche SuperCup cars we ran Castrol DOT 5 fluid through them. $80 a litre....but they put so much heat into the brakes its somewhat necessary to run it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good point with saving weight, but I have found that you won't notice a big increase in clamping force when replacing the rotors. That is, unless, you change the calipers as well.
    All the BBK are just overpriced for the BMW. Wish WILDWOOD would come out with a reasonably priced kit.

-Stainless steel a must

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I like the feel of the oem stuff, its felt great until recently. so here is list of what i should get then, feel free to add exact specs where needed

1.DBA rotors- what are the other series? and how do they compare in size?
    2.coolcarbon pads- any exact model #?
    3.SS lines- you mentioned 6 lines.. wht are they, and know of somewhere i can get them?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

DBA rotors sells 3000 and 4000 series as well. 3000 is a solid rotor (no cross drilled or slotted) 4000 is slotted and 5000 is 2-piece. Slotted rotors are best for street application...cross drilled rotors are cool but they actually have less surface area to squeeze..up to 15-20% less. That and they are prone to cracking with age...happens on the Porsches too. They are all oem size.

The 6 brake lines are Click here to enlargene at each corner, and 2 near the back of the car that feed the rear brakes. BMW put two tiny rubber lines where they connect to the rear subframe, to allow movement. Mr. 5 has a writeup on it, I think ECS sells them, but there isn't any reason why i shouldn't be able to.

Cool carbon or EBC green stuff pads will also work great. My friend is rocking the EBC ones and has had no issues with dusting or squeaking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

ok, so i found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AMEBOFFX%3AIT

what do you think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Thats not bad, but still missing two brake lines and it doesnt say what brand the brake lines are. I have had bad results with taiwan made stainless brake lines...they have split in the middle, kinked, or ruptured at the crimp fitting.

Those rotors are almost 150 each, plus pads and brake lines? Something doesnt add up. Plus unknown pad material/dust type. When it comes to brakes i like to buy good well known products even if it does cost me a little more money..its not something you want to have fail in the heat of the moment.

If you want on Monday i can get you some prices Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

nah, its cool. ill find something. thank you though.. like i said, if i was closer, this would be a done deal already

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

When I tried to get a little more out of my brakes without going crazy expensive, I grabbed a set of Stainless Steel brake lines from EAS and a set of Cool Carbon Pads for all 4 wheels. Then, based on how much money I had left to look around with, I decided not to do anything to the rotors yet. The new setup feels much better than before and I couldn't be happier

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's kinda what I was thinking Brey335i. Good to hear that you are stoked on the setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

well, im no punk and after trying to take hold of these from the mailman, 1 front- 1 rear per box, and about $#@! myself due to the unexpected weight. i decided to weight these. If only we could find out the weight of stockers, and then of course the weight of those fancy lookin brembo's.. which im sure have to weight less.. i think this is a good place to cshave a few lbs off..

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I can get you brembo weights for the M3 but don't think that will be applicable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

nice, what rotor size in mm's? and what fluid did you decide on? they look like a single hub/rotor right? why not go with the 2-piece?
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 10-05-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i didnt buy any fluid yet, or SS lines but plan to shortly. as the post shows, i know nothing about brakes.. or much else for that matter.. so i just ordered whatever the Co. had for stock replacement with drilled/slotted and zinc (?) coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Lol. My girl was home when my bbk arrived. She's like your brakes are here. I told her just pick them the hell up. When I get home I see giant boxes.