Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile Looking for 11-12 second daily driver, E46 330 or E30 M50

I thank you for the welcome. I am new to the BMW car scene I do not have a BMW yet, but am looking at two and am looking for some input from people who know these cars better than I. Ok my goals are two run 11s-12s in the quarter mile, yet still auto cross and daily drive the car, I would like the car to not cost a arm and a leg to maintain or upgrade. Now here are my options. First is a 2001 BMW 330ci with 5spd the vehicle has 120,000 on it with 30,000 on the engine, the car was backed into so has a new bumper and fender unpainted, some interior pieces I guess are missing like a pillar pieces not sure, now the other is a 1990 325 with a m50 swap here is a link to it*http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...2&pageNumber=1 I thank you for any help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

The E46 330ci is far more difficult to extract performance from.

I think you avoid the E46 that was run into and get the E30 with the M50 if yo uwant to focus on performance. The only downside is the E30 is much older but with an M50 it will be a hell of a lot more fun to drive and give you MANY more options to mod.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand the e30 is older is there really any downside to that? Are parts that hard to get for it? Why is the 330 so difficult to find power out of? I love the e46 look (m3) but I can't afford a m3 so this was the closest thing to find but anyways I'm not trying argue but understand. I like the classic look of the e30 reminds me of a datsun 510. But again thank u for any input. Oh yes and if I wanted to find turbo, suspension parts, and exterior parts (carbon fiber) which distributor or vendor has them? Again thank u for your time and help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Spd_dvl Click here to enlarge
    I understand the e30 is older is there really any downside to that?
    Only if you are superficial.

Are parts that hard to get for it?
    Not at all, the E30 is one of the most popular BMW's to modify.

hy is the 330 so difficult to find power out of?
    The M50 simply has had far more development and is easier to tune. Many different people make turbo or SC setups for it, much more than for the 330. No 330 is anywhere near as close in power to the top M50's. The M50 is simply a better performance platform as of today, heads and shoulders ahead.

Oh yes and if I wanted to find turbo, suspension parts, and exterior parts (carbon fiber) which distributor or vendor has them? Again thank u for your time and help.
    For E30 parts check out www.turnermotorsport.com or pelicanparts.com

For the turbo on it, I would suggest asking in the M50 engine forum here and getting your ideas there. Link to that section: http://www.bimmerboost.com/forumdisp...s-(S14-S38-etc.)
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale