Close

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you think BMW is dropping in quality, or only getting better?

This may not be a surprise to anyone who knows me, but I generally prefer older cars for a variety of reasons such as liking older designs better and so on. That being said, I was just wondering how everyone feels about the latest BMW cars. Do you think the new BMW's are just as good as the older ones, or do you think there has been a drop in quality?

Personally although I prefer older BMW's, I feel their quality has been a lot more consistent than many other auto manufacturers I could mention.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Well, preferring older cars in what sense? How old? Older BMW's or just older cars in general?

The BMW's we are getting now are the best they have made in my opinion. I feel the forced styling departure from the Chris Bangle era is over and has resulted now in a much more modern looking BMW, though one that still has traditional links. The previous 5 series and the current 6 series were just too awkward looking, though mechanically the top of their class.

The new 5 series and 7 series look fantastic inside and out and offer great powerplants. I like all BMW's, old and new, but the one downside now is the M models will be watered down due to sharing the same basic powerplant as the non M models. That is a significant drop in my view and my only current criticism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well, preferring older cars in what sense? How old? Older BMW's or just older cars in general?
    I mean older cars as in from 15 or more years back, and I was mainly referring to cars in general but I even prefer the older BMW's as well. Why is this? Well I just find that I like the looks of older BMW's a bit better, and also older cars have less electronics to cause problems later on. That said, I still say new BMW car are still a lot better than those put out by many other companies, except for a very few.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No way, they are not dropping. If anything they are getting better. I'm on my 3rd bimmer going on my fourth this year and each one was better than the last. They have not let me down.
    335is Coupe Space Gray; ZPP, 609, 2TC, 688, 494 and 6FL.
    Matte Black M310 19's | Michelin PSS 235/35F, 265/30R | COBB AccessPORT
    | Eibach Pro Street S | Painted reflectors | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles

Modding ain't easy Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they are getting better, I just don't like the e46 styling very much. Hopefully BMW will use higher quality materials for the interior and somehow eliminate or reduce orange peel in the paint. Less rattling would be a plus too. These are all minor gripes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dan in PA Click here to enlarge
    I think they are getting better, I just don't like the e46 styling very much. Hopefully BMW will use higher quality materials for the interior and somehow eliminate or reduce orange peel in the paint. Less rattling would be a plus too. These are all minor gripes.
    Orange Peel... definitely, forgot about that.

You don't like the E46 styling? Best thing Bangle ever did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Orange Peel... definitely, forgot about that.

You don't like the E46 styling? Best thing Bangle ever did.

I just can't warm up to the E46 styling. I had the opportunity to buy a pristine low-mileage E46 M3 from a friend, but I ended up with a 335i instead. I prefer the smoother shape of an E9x.

However there was an E46 330Ci convertible with M-sport or the E46 equivalent of M-sport in my work car park for a few months. It literally looked brand new because the owner took very good care of it. That was easy on the eyes Click here to enlarge