Close

Thread: blow off

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

blow off

i've been driving my 335 since early may and noticed that the bov sounds pretty - excuse my word here - weak. i was expected a more pronounced sound of pressure being released, but no.

what kind of upgrades are there to that component to make it sound better, and not only that, will add to the car's performance quite a bit.

other than that, the 335 has been great. it can surely take a good amount of abuse! now that's a good girl*
    i like my fully pimped out monaco blue 2007 manual 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Run more boost and the sound should get louder.
    2009.5 AW E90 335i ZMP - SOLD
    2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP - Space Grey/Fox Red Click here to enlarge

Want to Buy: 1977-89 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe (930)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Synapse, Tial, or SSQV on some sort of charge-pipe. I personally would go with Synapse. 17ms response time, and seals itself under boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

are you tuned? what BOV do you have?

If you dont have an aftermarket BOV, the sound is weak because we have diverter valves stock, not a BOV

Give us info and we can steer you in the right path

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    are you tuned? what BOV do you have?

If you dont have an aftermarket BOV, the sound is weak because we have diverter valves stock, not a BOV

Give us info and we can steer you in the right path
    No. Not tuned. It's currently all factory stock, so that definitely makes it a diverter valve.

What's more efficient? Diverters or blow offs? I've gotten mixed reviews from folks. Some say the diverter valves are good bc they reuse the already built up exhaust air, while the blow off valves just get rid of unneeded pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Lostmarine and the guys in here will set you
    on the right path.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mystik Click here to enlarge
    What's more efficient? Diverters or blow offs? I've gotten mixed reviews from folks
    The car is designed around a diverter but people go to the BOV to have the sound.

No detriment to running a BOV with the N54 from what I have read.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The consensus is that the reused air in a diverter valve is wasted/useless on our car because the turbos are so small. On the flip side the shops I go to in my area recommended that I don't use a blow off valve as they have had hiccups with cars they had put them on that they couldn't fix without going back to a dv setup. On the forum side of things though I haven't read about any problems other than people cheaping out on the valve itself.
    My 2c- if the sound is important to you or something you want to try grab a blow off valve. They are cheap new, really cheap used, and easy to install/uninstall. Otherwise run the stock config until they can't hold the boost you are trying to push through them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I'll be leaving the stock configuration and just up the boost. I'll take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mystik Click here to enlarge
    I think I'll be leaving the stock configuration and just up the boost. I'll take it from there.
    Smart move.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    An upgraded set of Diverter Valves and removing the Silencer Tray will provide a nice blow off sound inside the cabin. If you are trying to go ricer with your Bimmer than there are a number of BOV available. A favorite among the performance guys around here is the synapse. Tial has prob got the longest successful service record so its a matter of sound preference. I would search for the bov sound on 335i for various apparatus if you are looking for a particular sound. I personally use Hyperboost Diverter Valves. (More popular in the Audi areana) These valves were affordable, set with a spring for my car's boost levels, and sound amazing with the Cabin Filter tray removed. Forge is another popular diverter valve with interchangeable springs that also gives a nice woosh sound with the silencer tray removed. If you want other cars to hear that you are boosted...BOV is the way to go. There are some Do it yourself articles for free BOV using only the parts you already have under the hood plus a couple of rubber caps. Thats how I decided if I wanted to go BOV without dropping 500 bucks first. Have fun!