Close

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    It would cost a little bit more than just driving based on the quotes I got, I wouldn't get a chance to meet with the HPF guys in person and it would take longer overall. I've only priced it myself, I might ask them about it and see if they have some referrals.
    I'm definitely going to have to visit your car while it's up here.
    Click here to enlarge
    1977 S30Z

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It would cost a little bit more than just driving based on the quotes I got, I wouldn't get a chance to meet with the HPF guys in person and it would take longer overall. I've only priced it myself, I might ask them about it and see if they have some referrals.
    I see, it is definitely worth at least asking.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I see, it is definitely worth at least asking.
    Made the financial decision today.. going with Stage 3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what kind of quotes are you getting as far as transport? ive paid as little as 650 one way and as much as 1k one way to or from HPF
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Funkboy316 Click here to enlarge
    what kind of quotes are you getting as far as transport? ive paid as little as 650 one way and as much as 1k one way to or from HPF
    Price range was about $750-$900 one way. I'll probably drive it up there, but ship it back. Still haven't made up my mind yet. Car is still in the paint shop getting the bumper fixed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quick little update..

I'm definitely going Stg 3. They are shooting for about 900 WHP. I'm also going to have a driveshaft and hardened Halfshafts from Driveshaft Shop installed. I'm hoping to be heading that way here any day now. I'll keep you guys posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Made the financial decision today.. going with Stage 3.
    Hehehe, couldn't help it huh? What about the shipping?

Edit: Saw you said you will drive it up but ship it back. Honestly, with a Stage 3, I think you guys can come to a deal on handling the shipping. If you want to drive it though, by all means.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Hehehe, couldn't help it huh? What about the shipping?

Edit: Saw you said you will drive it up but ship it back. Honestly, with a Stage 3, I think you guys can come to a deal on handling the shipping. If you want to drive it though, by all means.
    I don't mind driving, it will give me some "me" time with my car lol.. The weather should be good for top down etc.. I also simply need a break, a mini getaway if you will.

I forgot to mention I'll also be going with a OS Giken twin disc setup per recommendation by HPF. I'm sure I will add more goodies etc.. I figured what the hell..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you should consider the os giken rear end too......it really does make a difference. when i was stage 2 i didnt have it, when i upgraded to 2.5 i got it and it was a very wise purchase, so much easier to handle even with the extra power.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you should consider the os giken rear end too......it really does make a difference. when i was stage 2 i didnt have it, when i upgraded to 2.5 i got it and it was a very wise purchase, so much easier to handle even with the extra power.
    I actually sent an email to Branden to work up a quote on that as well with a 4:10 R&P. I have to decide, do I want to drag race.. or track the car. In the end I guess I'm a drag racer at heart having owned several drag cars. Branden stated they could help out on wheel/tire combo's that are proven. I'll probably install a line lock and MSD 2 Step for launch control/burn outs.

I'm going to do some research on how the Corvette guys are handling wheel hop and I might put my fabrication skills to work and figure something out. All said my goal is to hit well into the 10's..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what are you going to do for roll bar/ cage? i went to the dragstrip once, when i went thru tech they popped the hood went over my car and told me i couldnt run. they said anything (vert) quicker than a 13.5 i would need a bar and anything 12.00 under would require a full cage. i assume i could have been less than honest with them and gotten at least one run in but i wanted to be safe at the same time so i just owned up that i was pretty sure the car was faster than a 13.5.....lol
    i asked about the pop up protection and they told me NHRA doesnt recognize that as any type of bar or cage.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, you are not holding back are you! Good $#@!! Can't wait to see how you do with all the goodies on the strip. Very wise choice going with the DDS axles as I broke an axle with just my stage 2.5 launching it at the strip with DR's. If you don't mind, shoot me a PM with how much you were able to get the DDS axles for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    Damn, you are not holding back are you! Good $#@!! Can't wait to see how you do with all the goodies on the strip. Very wise choice going with the DDS axles as I broke an axle with just my stage 2.5 launching it at the strip with DR's. If you don't mind, shoot me a PM with how much you were able to get the DDS axles for.
    http://www.driveshaftshop.com/2010_DSS_Price_Guide.pdf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what are you going to do for roll bar/ cage?
    I've been drag racing for a few years heh, I use to run Super Street class.

NHRA rules state a 5-point roll bar is okay to 10.00 ET for hardtop/T-top cars with un-altered floors. However, since I might break 135 MPH, I will need a full cage as all cars exceeding 135 MPH require a full cage. Also you need to have a battery kill switch since the battery is located in the trunk.

To answer your question, yes, I will have a custom cage installed and of course it will be painted lime green to match the car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I wanted to beef up the rear the best I could. Last thing I need is a failure that puts me into a wall banging second lol..

As for price, you'd have to ask HPF directly. They are working with me on the price of some items since I'm having so much work done on the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what are you going to do for roll bar/ cage? i went to the dragstrip once, when i went thru tech they popped the hood went over my car and told me i couldnt run.
    Btw.. here is the section from the rule book..

Some general rules:

-All cars must have a catch can for radiator overflow of at least 1 pint. These must be securely fastened (bolted or clamped). Factory overflow in most late-models is fine.

-Neutral safety switch (again, if using a factory shifter, this should be already installed. Aftermarket shifters will require wiring this in).

-If battery is in the back/trunk (regardless of ET), a secured tray and cutoff switch is required.

-If using Nitrous oxide, the bottle must be securely mounted (no plastic brackets), bottle must be stamped with 1800-lb DOT rating and identified as nitrous oxide. If bottle is located in driver's compartment, it must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside the compartment. Commercially available thermostatically controlled bottle-type warmers are permitted, all other heating of bottles prohibited (i.e. blow torches).

-Any vehicle using a spool center section requires aftermarket axles with positive retention (c-clip eliminators).

-NHRA national and divisional races require clear glass around the vehicle, subject to check. Local races vary, check with your division or track.

13.99 1/4-mile (8.59 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-A driveshaft safety loop is required when you run slicks (not drag radials or street tires). With street tires or drag radials, no loop is required until 11.49 1/4-mile (7.35 1/8-mile) and faster.

-A helmet (closed face or open) is required with a minimum Snell K98 or M2000/SA2000 rating. Helmets last 12 years from their rating date (example a Snell 2005 would be good until 2017). Shield is not required.

11.99 1/4-mile ( 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-Metal screw-in valve stems required on tubeless tires on all wheels.

11.49 1/4-mile (7.35 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-A 5-point minimum roll bar on a fixed roof car (t-tops okay as well if in place while racing) from 11.49 to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile). If the hardtop / t-top car has un-altered floors, firewall and frame rails (wheel tubs are okay), then the 5-point roll bar is good til 10.00 1/4 mile (6.40 1/8-mile). Convertibles require the 5-point bar from 13.49 (8.25 1/8-mile to 11.00 (7.00 1/8-mile). The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 x .083 chrome moly tubing. The roll bar can be bolted or welded to the floor, see diagram for specs. Roll bar must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position.
    See diagram below.

The 5-points are:
    -Main hoop; 2 "down bars" (bars that go from the main hoop rearward to the trunk floor/hatch area. These can be straight or bent like a "package tray" style, search for photos); Welded crossbar for belts (can't be removable); Driver side door bar (can be a swing-out. Many put a passenger's side bar in as well (6-point) because it strengthens the car on both sides, but if you have subframe connectors the difference may be minimal).

-Protective Clothing (SFI jacket with a 3.2A/1 rating, no expiration date)

-5 point harness (up to date, they must be replaced or re-certified every 2 years)

-SFI-approved flywheel and/or clutch (no expiration date)

-Screw-in valve stems

-No tint allowed on window except factory

10.99 1/4-mile (6.99 1/8-mile) or quicker:

-5-point roll bar is still okay to 10.00 1/4-mile (6.40 18-mile) in hardtop / t-top with un-altered floors, firewall and frame rails (wheel tubs are okay). If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. or any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing. Roll cage must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position.
    See diagram below.

-Convertibles require full roll cage at 10.99 and quicker.
    See diagram below.

-aftermarket axles with positive retention (c-clip eliminators)

-Transmission shield SFI Spec 4.1 at 10.99 and quicker or 135 mph and quicker (blanket is okay, no expiration date)

-Harmonic Balancer SFI Spec 18.1 (no expiration date)

9.99 1/4-mile (6.39 1/8-mile)/ 135 mph or quicker:

-Roll cage is required on all vehicles at 9.99 and quicker or any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing. Roll cage must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation. The cage must be padded anywhere the driver's helmet may contact it while in the driving position. This style of cage is good til 8.50 1/4-mile times, then a funny car style cage is required.
    See diagram below.

-Window net required (can be ribbon or mesh, no altering allowed unless done by manufacturer. No expiration date per 2008 NHRA rule book, but some have said 2 years on expiration/re-cert. Check with your local track or division).

-NHRA competition driver's license required, done by car designation (dragster, door car, etc). A physical, 2 NHRA licensed drivers to witness/sign your forms and minimum 6 runs are required.

-Flexplate SFI 29.1 and shield SFI 30.1 required (no expiration dates listed, but I believe the shield is 5 years)

-Protective Clothing (SFI jacket and pants with a 3.2A/5 rating, gloves and neck collar, no expiration date)

-Battery cutoff (regardless or whether battery is still up front or relocated to rear of vehicle)

-A full-face helmet is required with a minimum Snell K98 or M2000/SA2000 rating. Helmets last 12 years from their rating date (example a Snell 2005 would be good until 2017). Shield is permitted but not required. This rule posting is as it applies to cars like ours (closed body type). For open cars a different helmet ruling is required.

-A engine diaper is required at NHRA national and divisional races, local races vary, check with your division or track.

Parachutes:

-Required at 150 mph or faster, no matter the e.t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ran faster than 135 and they could care less. Most tracks aren't that strict with all the rules...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ran faster than 135 and they could care less. Most tracks aren't that strict with all the rules...
    Depends on if the tracks are sanctioned by the NHRA. I have several tracks within a few hours drive that would probably let me run with the top down and a passenger, but they are bubba tracks. Most of them have a very short concrete launch pad and then transition to asphalt. That kind of track can be scary in cars like ours with traction issues.

Houston Raceway Park, about 30 mins from my house is a major NHRA track with numerous National records, it is one hell of a fast track. In fact I think it is the second fastest track in the U.S. behind Brainerd International. The track does matter when trying for traction, good ET's etc.. so I don't mind taking the steps to run at a quality track. It could mean the difference of several tenths just due to the quality of the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

our track is pretty strict on the rules too. what really really irks me about though is i could run the track all day long on my R1 with only leathers and a full face helmet. i know the rules are in effect for safety but whoever decided i was safer in in leathers on my bike than i am in my car is smoking crack.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The track I ran at is NHRA...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    any NHRA track is gonna do some sort of inspection, its just how modified your car looks to get there attention.

for instance, my almost or could be, stock looking car gets questioned, but im ok. if they see the meth, then i need a jacket. if i run faster than 11.5 i need a cage.. i havent personally done so, but i have seen guys run faster and then have techs come and tell them slow down or get out.. but they got in for the first run..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The track I ran at is NHRA...
    Every track is different. It could be economics, management etc.. Houston is a serious car town. We have something like 5 drag strips within a 1 hour drive. The best track in town is hands down HRP so they can afford to be strict, but they let people slide too. Really just depends on the day, the mood the tech is in and how many cars show up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Every track is different. It could be economics, management etc..
    Exactly, some will look the other way, it just depends on the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the car is at HPF now.. so the wait begins!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the car is at HPF now.. so the wait begins!!
    Did you end up driving it up?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast