Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Newbie here... few questions about 335i

I am in the process of selling my 2005 CTS-V (sale should be official this weekend). I plan on picking up a 2008 335i coupe and am very excited! I just had a few questions. Some of these questions have been answered in other posts indirectly, but just wanted to get some hard-core answers.

I am going to put a JB3 tune and intake on it and was wondering if the JB3 tune would change the fuel enconomy especially on the highway under normal driving circumstances.

Also, did you guys notice a huge gain (seat of pants experience) once you put the tune in your N54's? When I put headers, full exhaust..no cats, and a tune on my CTS-V for a gain of 50 horsepower, I noticed a bit of a difference in the acceleration. I can only imagine the change that I will feel after bolting on 100hp and 100 ft/tq!!! But, did not know if I would notice a huge difference since every car drives differently.

Last question, I am going to buy a 335i that has been BMW certified so I can buy with confidence. My friend is a mechanic at BMW and I asked him that once I remove the tune would they be able to detect that it has been modified. He told me that they would not be able to tell at the dealership, but they have to upload the computer info and send it to the "big guys" so they can approve the warranty work espeically if it is a big claim. He told me that he has no idea if the "big guys" had the capability to read into the program to see if its been tampered with even with the tune removed. I do not want to put a tune in it and then have the motor blow up and then be screwed with a gigantic claim that BMW will not cover! I know the tunes are very safe, but I still want to be careful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You will need to delete tuner codes if you run an aggressive map. You can use a Bavarian Technic scanner or wait for the new JB Terry is working on. Your HP gains will depend on your fuel, map selection and other mods, but the tune only is VERY noticeable. DO NOT go in for warranty work without checking codes, and removing your tune.

Your fuel economy should not change much unless you run a "lagfix" map (3,5,7,etc). The lagfix maps make a bit of boost under low-load conditions so that when you mash the throttle the turbos will be partially spooled. I have found this lagfix to make my highway driving mpg suffer. If it is really important to you, you could run a non-lagfix map (2,4,6,etc), and I think there are global variables you can change to make the throttle have to be pushed farther to get into boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    You will need to delete tuner codes if you run an aggressive map. You can use a Bavarian Technic scanner or wait for the new JB Terry is working on. Your HP gains will depend on your fuel, map selection and other mods, but the tune only is VERY noticeable. DO NOT go in for warranty work without checking codes, and removing your tune.

Your fuel economy should not change much unless you run a "lagfix" map (3,5,7,etc). The lagfix maps make a bit of boost under low-load conditions so that when you mash the throttle the turbos will be partially spooled. I have found this lagfix to make my highway driving mpg suffer. If it is really important to you, you could run a non-lagfix map (2,4,6,etc), and I think there are global variables you can change to make the throttle have to be pushed farther to get into boost.
    Nice post.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crash32 Click here to enlarge
    I am in the process of selling my 2005 CTS-V (sale should be official this weekend). I plan on picking up a 2008 335i coupe and am very excited! I just had a few questions. Some of these questions have been answered in other posts indirectly, but just wanted to get some hard-core answers.

I am going to put a JB3 tune and intake on it and was wondering if the JB3 tune would change the fuel enconomy especially on the highway under normal driving circumstances.

Also, did you guys notice a huge gain (seat of pants experience) once you put the tune in your N54's? When I put headers, full exhaust..no cats, and a tune on my CTS-V for a gain of 50 horsepower, I noticed a bit of a difference in the acceleration. I can only imagine the change that I will feel after bolting on 100hp and 100 ft/tq!!! But, did not know if I would notice a huge difference since every car drives differently.

Last question, I am going to buy a 335i that has been BMW certified so I can buy with confidence. My friend is a mechanic at BMW and I asked him that once I remove the tune would they be able to detect that it has been modified. He told me that they would not be able to tell at the dealership, but they have to upload the computer info and send it to the "big guys" so they can approve the warranty work espeically if it is a big claim. He told me that he has no idea if the "big guys" had the capability to read into the program to see if its been tampered with even with the tune removed. I do not want to put a tune in it and then have the motor blow up and then be screwed with a gigantic claim that BMW will not cover! I know the tunes are very safe, but I still want to be careful.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Welcome to BB!!
    For your first question, YES you will feel a pretty big difference in your ride. Just to clear something up, you will not gain 100hp right off the bat. That is just the potential HP you can get with this tune with supplemental Bolt ons.
    You may or may not notice a change in MPG it all depends on how heavy your foot gets after installing the tune. You tend do drive more spiritedly once the JB3 is installed, but you will definately find yourself buying tires a bit sooner!
    Make sure to Scan(BT Cable) your car and remove the tune and bolt-ons before any dealer visits.
    Happy modding and drive safe!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge

This about sums it up. JB3 map 5, assuming you have 93 octane available and you will love it. get the package deal on the jb3/dci/BT cable

before the rest of my mods, i noticed my mpg actually went up when not hotrodding around.

even now i get 400miles to the tank if im not hotrodding

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome to the N54 community, and a pre-congrats on the 335i!

These guys basically gave you the low down on the mods, however, if you wanted to go with something mild, the JB+ is great and inexpensive comparatively.

just one problem....once you get a taste, you'll definitely want more...and more....until you go broke :cry:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys, thanks for the helpful responses. I will for sure get the BT cable. I understand completely about deleting all the codes and removing mods before having warranty work done on the car. Of course I know not to expect a 100 hp gain just from a tune. I plan on doing a fairly aggressive JB3 tune and a intake.

The only mod that is in question is a downpipe. The reason I am hesitant about adding a downpipe is because that is not something that I can remove in just a few minutes prior to BMW services. Other than that I would love to have a downpipe. I am thinking about adding a meth kit since I have heard that it is pretty safe. Has anyone here had problems or heard of others that have had problems with their meth kits? The only thing is this will be my daily driver and I do not want to add any modifications that will alter the reliability dramatically.

I am assuming with an intake, aggressive JB3 tune, and a meth kit that I should be pushing a wee bit over 450hp...... whatcha guys think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not gonna hit 450, but tune and meth only cars have done surprising well, on both dyno's and 1/4 mile runs. not sure on exact numbers, but some of those guys are competeing with full bolt on guys times/#'s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Depends on if you are talking crank or wheel. You could make 450hp at sea level, 100% meth, tweak a custom map on the dyno, and maybe race gas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I figured was I might get out 80hp out of an aggressive JB3 tune and maybe 10hp out of the intake and then another 50 for the meth???? I'm always overly optimistic! Is there a way that you can switch maps on the JB3 tune on the fly??

What would be the most conservative way that I can achieve 450hp (at the crank) with my 335i?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    By the way I would always be using 93 octane......never race gas. I am saving that for my weekend driver for when I get one!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you could hit 450hp crank with Tune, Meth @ 100% or just a little water, and DCI on 93octane. Catless downpipes would really help, but may not be necessary. What is your altitude and average ambient temperature?

If you want to stay away from downpipes, catless midpipes and a high-flow axle-back may free up some additional horsepower, like 15-20 at 16psi, and you wouldn't have to mess with 02 sensors. Plus, it's a very easy install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would much rather mess with the downpipes and be able to keep my factory exhaust to keep the exhaust tone as close to factory. I put longtube headers and a 3 inch exhaust with no cats on my CTS-V and absolutely loved the sound. It was extremely loud and with my 335i I am going towards the stealth route. I am not a huge fan of how the exhaust sounds on the N54 engine. I have only heard youtube clips though.

I am 100% for downpipes, but really do not know how practical it would be especially going in for services. I live in North Carolina and the temperature varies wildly.....over 100 degrees in the summers and below freezing in the winters! Most of my driving would be done in the 70-60 degree range I am guessing. The altitude in my city is right around 269 metres (882 feet). Any more ideas?

Also, I e-mailed Burger Tuning in regards to the safety of their meth kits and they told me that they suggest a 50/50 mix of meth and water. Is there any reason why 100% meth would be more risky?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would much rather mess with the downpipes and be able to keep my factory exhaust to keep the exhaust tone as close to factory. I put longtube headers and a 3 inch exhaust with no cats on my CTS-V and absolutely loved the sound. It was extremely loud and with my 335i I am going towards the stealth route. I am not a huge fan of how the exhaust sounds on the N54 engine. I have only heard youtube clips though.

I am 100% for downpipes, but really do not know how practical it would be especially going in for services. I live in North Carolina and the temperature varies wildly.....over 100 degrees in the summers and below freezing in the winters! Most of my driving would be done in the 70-60 degree range I am guessing. The altitude in my city is right around 269 metres (882 feet). Any more ideas?

Also, I e-mailed Burger Tuning in regards to the safety of their meth kits and they told me that they suggest a 50/50 mix of meth and water. Is there any reason why 100% meth would be more risky?
    Yes, it is more flammable in pure form. If you want the best dyno chart possible, get your dyno done in the coldest month. If you are going to stay away from exhaust, then really all you can do without going crazy is Tune, Meth, DCI and Intercooler. If you buy an intercooler I would go with AMS or HPF, especially since with meth you will already have great IATs and the end-tanks on the AMS and HPF intercoolers should minimize pressure-drop.

I would be surprised if you weren't near or over 450 crank hp after that, assuming everything is running right and your tune is set up right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    450 crank is easy. all your mods just allow you to push more boost. If you want quiet, then you can still get a quiet exhaust, i have the Miltek, fully catless, with fully catless downpipes and its just barely above stock sound levels.

in these 2 vids you can hear that my exhaust is sounds like a slightly tuned exhaust, nothing thats going to attract attention, and then in the 2nd of course, you cant hear $#@!, outside or inside the car, with windows down..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That exhaust sounds decent. I just do not want to risk sounding like a ricer or even wander near that territory!!!! I've always been the kind of V8 rumble or stock kinda guy..... no in between. But, if I can get a fully catless/high flow exhaust and still maintain near factory exhaust sound levels; that would be VERY NICE!

I am thinking that many of you hate the design of the CTS-V but here is exactly what my CTS-V sounded like with B&B longtube headers, no cats, and a 3 inch exhaust all the way through!!

NOT SURE HOW TO EMBED THIS VIDEO..... maybe someone can help!?!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nevermind... guess it does it by itself!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nevermind... guess it does it by itself!!
    Yes it does Click here to enlarge

I try to keep this board as technologically up to date as possible.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Crash, welcome to BB! Great help here, LostMarine, Sticky and E92 have been really helpful for me making my decisions on my car and tune. I don't know much but I have a question: are you in Fayetteville? Because that's where I'm from and that lake in the background with the parking lot looks really familiar (well as familiar as it can from that angle, there's a sign in that exact location from the parking lot at a lake right outside Fayetteville)? I'm originally from Fayetteville, my parents still live there, but I'm in Greensboro now doing a grad program...haha either way Happy tuning and keep us informed! Oh and pre-grats on yoru 335!!!
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, I am not in Fayetteville but do live in the triad area. I just read your recent posts in regards to your mods. I have learned quite a bit about modding these cars the past couple of months espeically on this board and n54tech. I really don't care too much for the drama at e90post.

There is a guy in the Raleigh area that is going to help me with my meth kit install so if you ever need anyone to do a professional install job for a reasonable fee..... PM me.

Not sure if you have decided on a tune yet but I'd def go for the G4 from Terry if I were you. I have researched this to death and subjected myself to e90post and the tune from Terry seems to be the best deal espeically with the added features that the G4 will have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I went with the JB3. I've heard lots of great things about it and it was basically made for the N54 Engines...what more can you ask for...also from what I can tell, GREAT customer service...I haven't heard fo the G4 but there is a Terry from BMS haha...my JB3 arrives friday...it should be a fun weekend! Click here to enlarge
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge