Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Do we have options for colder spark plugs?

Does anyone have any aftermarket spark plugs for the S65 yet? Last time I heard there were no options for colder plugs yet.

Why is it so difficult to get different ranges for the S65?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think Drew is running some colder plugs and I believe AA's new supercharger kit comes with some also, but I don't know what they are using.

My stock plug is an NGK LKR8AP (4471).
    Multi-Ground Plug, 12mm Thread Size, 26.5mm (1.04") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, Extended Projected Tip, Solid Terminal Nut, Platinum Tipped Center Electrode, Dual Ground Electrodes, .035" (0.9mm) Gap, Heat Range 8

I researched some options on the web one day, but only came up with an NGK R2556B-10 (1997).
    Racing Plug, 12mm Thread Size, 26.5mm (1.04") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, Solid Terminal, Fine Wire Iridium Tipped Center Electrode, Fine Wire Platinum Angled Ground Electrode, .028" (0.7mm) Gap, Heat Range 10

It has a Heat Range 10 which is 2 steps colder, but they are $95 each!!!!! Click here to enlarge So... there goes that option.
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust
    10.87 @ 131 mph in the 1/4 Mile
    60-130 MPH in 6.23 secs (Nitrous)
    60-130 MPH in 6.87 secs (Boost only @ 7.5psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikewads Click here to enlarge
    I think Drew is running some colder plugs and I believe AA's new supercharger kit comes with some also, but I don't know what they are using.
    Well, we can ask Drew directly. I didn't know he had different plugs. I'll ask AA and get back to you.

It has a Heat Range 10 which is 2 steps colder, but they are $95 each!!!!! So... there goes that option.
    $95? Ok, that isn't cheap. This may sound stupid, but I have no idea how much the stock plugs cost. Would you happen to know?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

what would happen if you changed stock spark plugs to colder spark plugs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    what would happen if you changed stock spark plugs to colder spark plugs?
    This should help:

Heat Range

Controlling the operating temperature of the plug’s firing tip is the single most important factor in spark plug design. “Heat range” is the relative temperature of the spark plug’s core nose, and it is determined by the length and diameter of the insulator tip, as well as the ability of the plug to transfer heat into the cooling system. A “cold” plug transfers heat rapidly from its firing end into the cooling system and is used to avoid core nose heat saturation where combustion-chamber or cylinder-head temperatures are relatively high. A “hot” plug has a slower heat transfer rate and is used to avoid fouling under relatively low chamber or head temperatures. What’s confusing is that a “hotter” (higher performance level) engine requires a colder plug because more power equals higher cylinder temperatures.

Critical factors affecting heat range include:

• Air/fuel mixture: Lean air/fuel ratios raise cylinder-head temperatures, requiring a colder plug. Rich air/fuel ratios require a hotter plug to prevent fouling. Mixtures that cause the plugs to read lean may contribute to pre-ignition or detonation. If not running an electronic engine management system, it pays to tune slightly on the rich side to avoid detonation.

• Spark advance: Ignition timing has one of the greatest effects on plug temperatures. It becomes more critical as compression ratios increase. More timing raises combustion temperatures, calling for colder plugs.

• Compression ratio: Increasing the mechanical compression ratio raises cylinder pressure, resulting in higher cylinder temperature. The higher the compression ratio, the colder the spark plug needs to be. According to Champion Spark Plugs, for normally aspirated, gasoline-fueled engines, a good rule of thumb is to go about one heat range colder for each full point in compression ratio increase from 9:1 through about 12.5:1, and two heat ranges colder for each point increase between 12.5:1 and 14.5:1. Beyond 14.5:1, 3-4 heat range reductions per point may be needed.

• Gasoline quality: With musclecar-era leaded gas, the lead is attracted to the hotter (core-nose) part of the plug, causing glazing. The spark runs down the core nose instead of jumping the gap. Going to a slightly colder plug helps prevent lead-glazing. However, with today’s cleaner-burning oxygenated unleaded gas, an equivalent engine needs to run plugs about 1-2 heat ranges hotter than originally specified (many plug manufacturers have revised their catalogs accordingly).

• Methanol: Methanol has a higher octane level compared to gasoline (allowing an increased compression ratio), contains 50 percent oxygen by mass (requiring a much richer air/fuel ratio), and has a reduced latent heat of evaporation (which cools the incoming air/fuel charge and allows a denser mixture). The net effect is to require a plug that’s at least one step colder than normal for an equivalent gasoline-fueled application.

• Nitrous oxide: N2O raises cylinder temperatures and may require a plug 1-2 heat ranges colder. Lower output street systems may get by with standard heat ranges if nitrous use is held under 10 seconds.

• Supercharging/turbocharging: With increased pressure and temperature in the chamber, two or more heat ranges colder may be needed. Extreme high-boost race-only applications may need a surface-gap plug.

• Sustained acceleration: Prolonged acceleration or high-speed driving

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

thanks sticky very informative

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    $95? Ok, that isn't cheap. This may sound stupid, but I have no idea how much the stock plugs cost. Would you happen to know?
    Around $12 each
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Around $12 each
    thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I got NGK 9 on my car. and I know Denso also make 9 too
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    Do we want just 1 step colder or two though? I'm guessing those are far cheaper than the 10's mentioned earlier?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    Need part numbers to verify. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

J, drew def runs a colder plug. call up alex. imma get some new plugs soon too

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KiokenM3 Click here to enlarge
    J, drew def runs a colder plug. call up alex. imma get some new plugs soon too
    Do you know what plug Drew is running?

I spoke to Alex yesterday, he is beyond busy. I just wanted to confirm where we are with my motor and I'm happy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do you know what plug Drew is running?

I spoke to Alex yesterday, he is beyond busy. I just wanted to confirm where we are with my motor and I'm happy.
    sorry i dont know what plug, but it was ordered from japan if i remember correctly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sticky any info on the plugs AA is using with their kit yet?

Eugene you got those part numbers? I know NGK makes a 9 in a racing plug (R2556B-9), but its the same price as the one I listed above. I could not find a Denso that would work that is colder.
    Last edited by Mikewads; 09-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Sticky any info on the plugs AA is using with their kit yet?
    So far all I know is they do in fact use colder heat range plugs, I just don't have the model number yet. Waiting to hear back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well at least I finally found out what plug AA was using with their new supercharger kit. It's an HKS M45HL. Same plug that goes in the Nissan GTR.

Click here to enlarge

I probably won't be trying them though....
    Click here to enlarge
    Sorry I couldn't help it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I probably won't be trying them though....
    Seems the factory plugs are very important for knock control, I won't be messing with them either: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...3-S65-V8-Motor