Close

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 377
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Points
    301.8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    True, but I don't believe this has been shown to be the case with the N54.

    I hate to bring up the 2jz but on stock internals people run 700whp. If we can do the same we are all VERY fortunate.
    My car is running over 700whp on stock internals.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,450
    Rep Points
    1,750.9
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by govr46 Click here to enlarge
    My car is running over 700whp on stock internals.
    There we go!

    I assume fftec's single turbo or custom?

    Have you posted any dynos up? Did you hit 700+ on race gas? What do you do on pump or E85?

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,268
    Rep Points
    1,418.2
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Oringing the block is a trick. It goes on the deck of the block (or the cylinder head in some cases), the head gasket sits on top of it, then the cylinder head smashes the head gasket fire ring into oring, pinching it. Ultra boost levels are now available. I was having issues with a cometic ******ing junk head gasket that leaked combustion pressures over 18psi.
    I pulled the head, and installed .035 stainless wire onto the head via the Bridgeport. Reinstalled on a factory elring head gasket, its holding 28-30psi with no signs of leaking. BIG turbo cars in the 30+psi range normally do this, as par for the course.
    ohhh right yeah now i know what you're talking about

    so pretty much an extra sealing layer in addition to the gasket specifically around the cylinder

    does it need much extra work and is it a risk at all to do?
    boop

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,268
    Rep Points
    1,418.2
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    ARP Studs - not available (ARP said they won't make them unless it is a huge batch - n54 has 2 differently sized head bolts in its configuration)

    Oversized Valves - VAC has them available

    Springs and Retainers - Nobody has them available (more than one company [including some of the big guys] have looked into this. The springs are very small on the N54 so there isn't any off the shelf stuff to modify)

    Cams - VAC has them available (but only when someone provides their specifications)

    On the ARP studs... the 'replacement bolts' kit has two different kits?

    >http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ead/ES2568146/ 2 different sizes

    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335..._Head/ES18649/

    4 ish different sizes?

    is the first kit the only one that are the actual 'head bolts'

    i wonder why ARP will only start making them for a BIG batch... don't believe there's interest?

    how BIG is a 'big batch'

    would it be possible to scrape together a group buy size, or REALLY big?

    where and how much are VAC's valves? they're not listed on their site

    the spring shop i'm talking to does custom stuff for many cars all the time, so hopefully they won't throw their hands in the air at it haha
    boop

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,526.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    There we go!

    I assume fftec's single turbo or custom?

    Have you posted any dynos up? Did you hit 700+ on race gas? What do you do on pump or E85?
    His car is the Vargas Stage 3 prototype car. Did you miss that thread? Click here to enlarge
    Eppur si muove.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Agreed. We still don't know what the weakest part of the motor is yet nor what the stock block can handle. I'm betting with upgraded internals this stock block will be able to handle +900HP.
    I hope you're right. We may know soon enough.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Im going to bet on a PROPERLY TUNED CAR (no detonation!) the rods will start to bow, the head gasket pops, or the rings touch lifting the top of the pistons off.
    Pistons will be the first to go. Rods on this car are very robust.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    On the ARP studs... the 'replacement bolts' kit has two different kits?

    >http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ead/ES2568146/ 2 different sizes

    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335..._Head/ES18649/

    4 ish different sizes?

    is the first kit the only one that are the actual 'head bolts'

    i wonder why ARP will only start making them for a BIG batch... don't believe there's interest?

    how BIG is a 'big batch'

    would it be possible to scrape together a group buy size, or REALLY big?

    where and how much are VAC's valves? they're not listed on their site

    the spring shop i'm talking to does custom stuff for many cars all the time, so hopefully they won't throw their hands in the air at it haha
    I wish I knew the answers to the ARP questions. Maybe if other people start calling and asking, they'll realize the market is about to grow.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Just admit it, you are here for sticky Click here to enlarge
    Who isn't?

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Totally. But in the same breath, a stock S52 will handle 650hp before letting go. ICS showed that.
    Yep... with a spacer. That's what people forget you can't just handicap motors with compression.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by govr46 Click here to enlarge
    My car is running over 700whp on stock internals.
    Got a graph?

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Pistons will be the first to go. Rods on this car are very robust.
    It's the same for a lot of BMW motors cast pistons that are coated often but forged rods.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,450
    Rep Points
    1,750.9
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    His car is the Vargas Stage 3 prototype car. Did you miss that thread? Click here to enlarge
    Didn't recognize the screen name.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,291
    Rep Points
    1,615.1
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    ohhh right yeah now i know what you're talking about

    so pretty much an extra sealing layer in addition to the gasket specifically around the cylinder

    does it need much extra work and is it a risk at all to do?
    people use this thing calls a "groove-o-matic" from Isky cams, my machinist and I both heavily disagree with its use, and how well it works..... But I have seen probably 20+ cars with it done and not much issue.

    The real way of doing it, is with a bare block and the head gasket. Put it on the Bridgeport and indicate it in, find the center of the fire ring, and put the groove in. Then you take forever and trim a peice of stainless piano wire, and tap it into the groove. The big thing is HOW FLAT and HOW EVEN the wire is installed in the block..... The protrusion of it sticking up. It makes a DIRECT impact on sealing.

    in my case, we decided to do it on the cylinder head, since I didn't feel like pulling the block out and stripping it to nothing lol.

    we oringed the head, knocked the wire in (circular rings, no figure 8 pattern) and its on a stock head gasket. I've been pushing 28-32psi and no coolant pressure issues like that junk cometic.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep... with a spacer. That's what people forget you can't just handicap motors with compression.

    IIRC, it was a stock engine?
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    IIRC, it was a stock engine?
    I remember a spacer? I don't know may be wrong.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,291
    Rep Points
    1,615.1
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Reputation: Yes | No
    You must be talking about a .140 head gasket spacer.

    idk, I thought it was a stock engine. Regardless, it made crazy power in a stock configuration
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    You must be talking about a .140 head gasket spacer.
    Yes I believe so but stock engine just compression dropped with that spacer. I mean that's the key really. I'd love to see someone do it with an S54.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Points
    301.8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Got a graph?

    Yes, Look up VTT Stage 3 725whp with dyno vid.
    You should know sticky, It's buried a couple of pages back on the front page.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by govr46 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, Look up VTT Stage 3 725whp with dyno vid.
    You should know sticky, It's buried a couple of pages back on the front page.
    Oh yes I've already seen that. Sorry, thought you were somebody else with a different setup sort of claiming big numbers out of the blue.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,526.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by govr46 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, Look up VTT Stage 3 725whp with dyno vid.
    You should know sticky, It's buried a couple of pages back on the front page.
    You don't post very often so I don't think people recognize your screen name, like @Torgus above. For some reason it stuck with me, however. How is the car? Have you guys got the supporting mods on it yet to run it down the quarter mile without any surprises?
    Eppur si muove.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Points
    301.8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Tony has my car apart right now cause the stage 3 kit was removed to go into production.
    He is getting ready to install his stage 2.5 so i can drive the car around as a beta tester.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Points
    1,526.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by govr46 Click here to enlarge
    Tony has my car apart right now cause the stage 3 kit was removed to go into production.
    He is getting ready to install his stage 2.5 so i can drive the car around as a beta tester.
    Well that is kind of unfortunate. I bet you'd rather be driving it. You should tell him to buy his own car to test with. Click here to enlarge

    It is cool you get to try everything out before the customers get their hands on the product. It is also cool he has a car and an owner willing to test his products in the real world. It would be great to get impressions directly from you about how each turbo upgrade drives. Like an independent thread for your thoughts on each upgrade, or just one overall summary of the upgrades. Either way, your thoughts would be interesting to read.
    Eppur si muove.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    82
    Rep Points
    301.8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Well that is kind of unfortunate. I bet you'd rather be driving it. You should tell him to buy his own car to test with. Click here to enlarge

    It is cool you get to try everything out before the customers get their hands on the product. It is also cool he has a car and an owner willing to test his products in the real world. It would be great to get impressions directly from you about how each turbo upgrade drives. Like an independent thread for your thoughts on each upgrade, or just one overall summary of the upgrades. Either way, your thoughts would be interesting to read.
    I'll say this much about when i drove the car back to Tony's shop after it made the 725whp dyno pulls. It scared the $#@! out of me.

    When i got to drive the car for 10 days after it made 572whp on 91oct, It scared the $#@! out of my wife.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,291
    Rep Points
    1,615.1
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes I believe so but stock engine just compression dropped with that spacer. I mean that's the key really. I'd love to see someone do it with an S54.

    compression drop, yes.

    spacer? no. it kills your cylinder head quench. The "correct" way is with pistons to drop compression.
    im 8.5:1 in my S52 Click here to enlarge


    on the other hand, E85 LOVES compression and boost!
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,690
    Rep Points
    31,530.7
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    compression drop, yes.

    spacer? no. it kills your cylinder head quench. The "correct" way is with pistons to drop compression.
    im 8.5:1 in my S52 Click here to enlarge


    on the other hand, E85 LOVES compression and boost!
    Oh for sure I'm not saying it's correct I'm saying it's necessary to make more power on a stock high compression motor with forced induction without changing the internals. I mean without getting into super exotic fuels I guess but still it's the "easy" way to drop compression. Not right way.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •