Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

O2 Sensor information and Clearing Adaptations on the S65

Amongst all the drama in another thread I came across some technical information that I thought deserved its on thread. The below questions are for PG, but anyone that can provide additional technical information please join in. Let's keep this thread professional please!

When you say "ECU logs" are you referring to past recorded data of the O2 sensor or a stored diagnostic trouble code indicating that the O2 sensor has a problem?

I remember when your first batch of O2s got destroyed by leaded fuel, but what made this one O2 sensor fail? Do you think you just got a bad apple?

The BT Tool (which is what I have) does not have the ability to clear engine related adaptations. Could you provide more detailed information about the OPS head hardware/software as I would like the ability to clear adaptations myself.

PG wrote:

"The blown O2 sensors don't seem to show up in a CEL (my CEL was not disabled), but they do show up in the ECU logs. It's very strange. It's just as you say, the RPMs cut out early. In my case, as the O2 sensors began to fail, the RPM cut-out got lower and lower. It also seemed to depend on what gear I was in. Third gear was pretty bad, the cut-out might have been as low as 5500-6000 RPMs. When my car was in LA, I never had my BT tool, or OPS head with me to read the codes. AJ came by during Bimmerfest and read the codes and discovered the blown O2 sensor. Once I got the car home, I read it myself and confirmed the blown O2 sensor. I bought another pair of sensors, even though only one was bad. I thought it was safer to replace the pair instead of just one.

After replacing the sensor, I ran a 60-130, and it was an abysmal 8.95 seconds. As I said earlier, this might have only been the 2nd time I even attempted a 60-130 on the ESS-46. I knew it should be faster than that, so I called AJ and asked him about it. He said I had to clear my adaptations. I had already driven the car about 500 miles and thought that should be enough. But apparently it wasn't. Using the OPS head on a Wednesday afternoon, I cleared the adaptations, then drove the car to work for two days (about 120 miles). I knew I was taking the car to Auto Talent for the motor build, so Friday night it was still a toasty 80 degrees or so, and I went out and did another 60-130. The time went down by a whopping 1.4 seconds to 7.58 seconds simply after clearing the adaptations. It was even the same tank of gas. According to the vBox, I had an even faster run going, but I had to slow down at 128 MPH due to traffic. It wouldn't have been much faster -- only 0.05 seconds or so."
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust
    10.87 @ 131 mph in the 1/4 Mile
    60-130 MPH in 6.23 secs (Nitrous)
    60-130 MPH in 6.87 secs (Boost only @ 7.5psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikewads Click here to enlarge
    The BT Tool (which is what I have) does not have the ability to clear engine related adaptations. Could you provide more detailed information about the OPS head hardware/software as I would like the ability to clear adaptations myself.
    Are you sure about this? I can do it on the N54, and an S54 with mine. Maybe more, but i only know for sur about those 2, since I have done this myself with said motors

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure about this? I can do it on the N54, and an S54 with mine. Maybe more, but i only know for sur about those 2, since I have done this myself with said motors
    I'm sure. I even sent them email to make sure I was not overlooking it.
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok then, thats about all i can contribute here. Ill be reading though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was going to buy the BT tool tinking I could clear CEL's and such, but now that I know I can't, it doesn't have the same appeal for me. Seems it can in the N54 application though, odd. Thanks for that bit of info mikewads.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I was going to buy the BT tool thinking I could clear CEL's and such, but now that I know I can't, it doesn't have the same appeal for me. Seems it can in the N54 application though, odd. Thanks for that bit of info mikewads.
    It can clear CELs and stored DTCs. It also gives very good descriptions of the error codes and performs data logging, but it cannot clear adaptations. Adaptations are like learned memory maps (Ex. How much timing, injector pulse width, etc. at a certain RPM).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is confusing to me. It seems like the unit should definitely have adapted by 500 miles. Does anyone know the normal, exact routine interval for adaptation - in miles (I assume it's miles and not running time). I thought it was less than 100mi. Perhaps the "adaptation" memory actually stores more than just adaptations??? Perhaps it learned how crappy the maps were (like a crap threshold was met) and it defaults to a safe map mode (not as bad as limp) rather than to continue adapting to crappy conditions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 Click here to enlarge
    This is confusing to me. It seems like the unit should definitely have adapted by 500 miles. Does anyone know the normal, exact routine interval for adaptation - in miles (I assume it's miles and not running time). I thought it was less than 100mi. Perhaps the "adaptation" memory actually stores more than just adaptations??? Perhaps it learned how crappy the maps were (like a crap threshold was met) and it defaults to a safe map mode (not as bad as limp) rather than to continue adapting to crappy conditions.
    It is confusing to many of us and I think the answer is it depends. Adapting to things like octane happens very quickly, like a couple pulls. Others might take more time, I don't think we necessarily have a clear answer but these aren't the old ECU's where you go through a full tank of gas before it "gets" it.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You can clear sels with the BT tool, i did it yesterday with an old O2 code