Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Don't drink and drive

Hey brothers, I'd like to share this with all of you. My roommate and best friend, he was like a brother, just passed away this past Saturday. He sneaked out of the house we were at pretty much blacked out drunk, without out knowing. There was a lot of we should have done this and that go prevent it, but alas it's too late. Please my friends this $#@! is for real, don't drink and drive and don't let anyone get in a car drunk no matter what!!! For now I'm staying away of alcohol, and everyone that knew him. Such. Waste of life...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/22542426/f...clipId=8974350
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Condolences for your loss. Im with you 100% on the drunk driving. Getting behind the wheel intoxicated can easily become the worst decision of your life.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Always sad to hear this, but it could have gone much worse. (you know, e.g. hitting another car with a family&young kids etc)
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Sad to hear this. I lost my best friend at 17 to a similar crash. The family has never been the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GuidoK Click here to enlarge
    Always sad to hear this, but it could have gone much worse. (you know, e.g. hitting another car with a family&young kids etc)
    That is very true. First thing I asked the medical examiner was if there was somebody else involved. Thank god there wasn't, and was just him that passed away. It would have been much worse otherwise. It's just so damn tragic, and surreal. Life is just so fragile.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Sorry for your loss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So he was 30 years old and he didn't know any better? I'm sorry but sympathy in such a situation is very hard for me to try and muster up. The good thing is like you said before, he didn't kill anybody else.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I'm sorry for the loss and there isn't much you can do in a situation like that but preemptively take away the keys. He probably didn't even know what he was doing just that he wanted to go home.

Would be great for cars to have something built in that can easily check blood alcohol level thereby not relying on intoxicated people to make the judgement themselves when their judgement is impaired.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    So he was 30 years old and he didn't know any better? I'm sorry but sympathy in such a situation is very hard for me to try and muster up. The good thing is like you said before, he didn't kill anybody else.
    Guy is heavily intoxicated what do you expect? Him to make a rational decision? He didn't and he paid for it with his life what more do you want? It's a tragic situation and unfortunate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Would be great for cars to have something built in that can easily check blood alcohol level thereby not relying on intoxicated people to make the judgement themselves when their judgement is impaired.
    Some cars do have this, it's called an ignition interlock (pretty sure you've heard of it) but you normally don't have one installed until the Court orders you to have one after you pick up your third, fourth, etc., DUI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Guy is heavily intoxicated what do you expect? Him to make a rational decision? He didn't and he paid for it with his life what more do you want? It's a tragic situation and unfortunate.
    Seriously. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who's ever drank before has driven when they shouldn't have. However, most of them live to learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately for this guy, he didn't get a second chance.

Let's try to tone down the internet attitude and imagine if this were your friend.

Sorry for your loss, OP.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blitz535i Click here to enlarge
    Some cars do have this, it's called an ignition interlock (pretty sure you've heard of it) but you normally don't have one installed until the Court orders you to have one after you pick up your third, fourth, etc., DUI.
    Yes that's what I mean a system without the ignition interlock. Can't they detect through skin like diabetics can with newer technology? Would make it much easier to implement.

I would like planes to have it for example. Could you imagine a drunk pilot?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes that's what I mean a system without the ignition interlock. Can't they detect through skin like diabetics can with newer technology? Would make it much easier to implement.
    Great idea, and you'd save countless lives...invent this and your money worries would be no more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Thats a shame, sorry for your loss. RIP
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Great idea, and you'd save countless lives...invent this and your money worries would be no more.
    Well it would be a noble thing to do that's for sure. I'm sure it can be done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

There are airline unions, don't think it's that easy lol (sadly)
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    There are airline unions, don't think it's that easy lol (sadly)
    It would have to be union of idiots to oppose something like making sure pilots flying hundreds of people are sober when doing so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Clearly youve never dealt with unions hahah. I don't want this to go off topic out of respect for this guys buddy.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Seriously. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who's ever drank before has driven when they shouldn't have.
    I haven't...
    If you drink&drive and you injure someone even without being your fault, you still pay the price and the insurance company wil recollect that money on your account until eternity, so your professional carreer is pretty much over.
    I'm not taking that chance (let alone the moral issues of course)
    E85 Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Custom Brembo BBK front/rear | Schrick cams | Schmiedmann headers/cats | Powerflex/strongflex/PSB PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

In BC, the interlock is required on the first offense but it goes deeper. If you drive a vehicle for a living (taxi, bus, other commercial), the employer (not employee) has to install on every vehicle the individual drives. Keep in mind you can be charged at .05 (cough syrup or even mouthwash) and you can see that government intervention can go to far.
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Or as part of a first time plea bargain to reduce the charges.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Seriously. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE who's ever drank before has driven when they shouldn't have. However, most of them live to learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately for this guy, he didn't get a second chance.

Let's try to tone down the internet attitude and imagine if this were your friend.

Sorry for your loss, OP.
    This. On all accounts.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ecampbell Click here to enlarge
    In BC, the interlock is required on the first offense but it goes deeper. If you drive a vehicle for a living (taxi, bus, other commercial), the employer (not employee) has to install on every vehicle the individual drives. Keep in mind you can be charged at .05 (cough syrup or even mouthwash) and you can see that government intervention can go to far.
    0.05 seems a wee bit high for cough syrup or mouthwash.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I'm sorry for the loss and there isn't much you can do in a situation like that but preemptively take away the keys.
    One time we even took the distributor cap out of a friends car to stop him driving drunk but somehow he still drove home. He had a bit of a death wish which he unfortunately managed to accomplish though.
    Sorry for your loss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Really sad and horrible, sorry for the loss. I guess the best thing you can think about is that he probably had no clue what hit him and died instantly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Or as part of a first time plea bargain to reduce the charges.

This. On all accounts.

0.05 seems a wee bit high for cough syrup or mouthwash.
    Everything in Canada is stronger but I think you get my point.

I am not condoning drinking and driving by any stretch but I believe that I should be allowed to go out for dinner and have two glasses of wine throughout a 2.5 hour meal without potentially risking the loss of my job. At .08 it was close but at .05 I would be borderline.
    Click here to enlarge

I will quit being rude if you quit being stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Where you see tragic and unfortunate I see stupid and avoidable. There is a time where somebody needs to smarten up and actually do the right thing, obviously in his 30 years of existence he couldn't figure that out. We had a drunk driver hit Angies car, other than property damage nobody else got hurt, including the drunken idiot. Did you use the words tragic and unfortunate in that other thread? Or anybody else in that matter? Yeah I understand this is a board members friend but again it's hard for me to feel much remorse and sympathy for somebody like that. And for crying out loud he was 30 years old, by that time you really need to have some $#@! in your life figured out.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast