Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

What a Supersprint S85 V10 headers installation on an E63 M6 looks like

Not a whole lot of room to work with... nice pics showing the OEM headers as well as the Supersprint pieces:

Currently occupying one of the lifts on our maintenance side is a very well-kept, Dinan-touched E63 BMW M6. To make things even better, it comes with a proper six speed manual transmission. Seeing as how the majority of E60 M5s and E63/64 M6s that roll through the shop are equipped with the SMG transmission, this is a welcome change of pace.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

To make things even better, this M6 is here for more than just your average oil change. Instead, we’ll be installing a set of Supersprint headers on this beast. We were told the headers would be in the trunk. However, upon further inspection, we found two boxes back there — one had the Supersprint 5-into-1 collectors that comprise the back half of the headers, and the other box had what looked to be the head of Medusa inside.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

We’re obviously joking, folks; Medusa has been dead for centuries, and snake bodies don’t decompose into stainless steel. Those are actually the individual runners of the Supersprint exhaust, and it’s up to the installer to know which goes where on each side of the monstrous V10 motor. Thankfully, they were numbered by cylinder, so if anything, it looks like Supersprint and Ikea teamed up for this one. Thank goodness they left the wooden dowels at home. But back to the action. Our first step in getting the new headers installed involves removing the old news. After dropping a number of shields, as well as the rest of the exhaust system, we were able to access all of the bolts holding the stock header in place, which isn’t so much a header as it is a representation of the giant squid from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Once the headers were down, we snapped a picture to give you an idea of how much room there is to work with during this installation. To put it succinctly — not a whole lot.
    Click here to enlarge

However, as the runners were numbered, we had the headers’ runners bolted into place in no time. From there, we put in place the plate that will serve to seal the collector against the individual runners. Just like the setup on Gold Wheels, the collector is held against this plate with high-tension springs, creating an airtight connection that will channel the entirety of the V10’s throaty roar down into the exhaust.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

We’d show you everything all buttoned up once the headers went in, but when we had everything apart, we discovered a leak in the M6’s steering rack. The owner’s ordered one and it should be arriving shortly, so we’ll have the conclusion for you soon! Until then, have an excellent day and we’ll see you right back here tomorrow!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NICE! These and the evolve tubular headers are so amazing! I cant wait to get a set on my car. Sticky, I think the title is missing the word header. Good find.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    NICE! These and the evolve tubular headers are so amazing! I cant wait to get a set on my car. Sticky, I think the title is missing the word header. Good find.
    I'll be jealous when you get them lol
    09' M3 AA Gen 2 Level 2 S/C
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    01' C5 Z06- White, FBO+Cam
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    08' E82 135i- Sapphire Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' E90 335i 6-Speed- Blk
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Blk Raven
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TZ04XJR Click here to enlarge
    I'll be jealous when you get them lol
    lol im still on my stock exhaust. It hurts. Just wondering how much this install is gonna cost. Ive heard someone tell me its close to 1,000 bucks -__-
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol im still on my stock exhaust. It hurts. Just wondering how much this install is gonna cost. Ive heard someone tell me its close to 1,000 bucks -__-
    I think 800-1k is about right. It's a very time consuming task. I replaced my clutch and flywheel with a friends help last week. Even with the trans dropped, I looked at the work it would take to install headers and man it's a tight fit.
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think 800-1k is about right. It's a very time consuming task. I replaced my clutch and flywheel with a friends help last week. Even with the trans dropped, I looked at the work it would take to install headers and man it's a tight fit.
    I've been under the S85 as well. Removal of the OE piece will be the knuckle-buster of the job. With individual primaries, the SS and Evolve headers will be much easier to reinstall than the OE variants.

Would love to see a before and after dyno. The S85 is a gem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Props to you man getting your clutch and flywheel done on your own! Have you done the clutch teach in yet? Ive been trying to follow your thread.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    I've been under the S85 as well. Removal of the OE piece will be the knuckle-buster of the job. With individual primaries, the SS and Evolve headers will be much easier to reinstall than the OE variants.

Would love to see a before and after dyno. The S85 is a gem.
    In that case, Might have to hold off on headers then, the price and hard work of installation might happen in the winter at the end of the year then. I really want to open this V10 motor up with some headers Click here to enlarge
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Props to you man getting your clutch and flywheel done on your own! Have you done the clutch teach in yet? Ive been trying to follow your thread.
    Thanks! No not yet I ran into issues with the Autologic system and had to head out to New Orleans for work this week. I'm going to get back on it Monday hopefully.
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whoops, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had no idea that the stock headers were so.....tiny. Its like a marathon runner trying to do the whole race breathing through a straw. Medusa was a very accurate analogy. Awesome article and great pictures. ty for posting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    I had no idea that the stock headers were so.....tiny. Its like a marathon runner trying to do the whole race breathing through a straw. Medusa was a very accurate analogy. Awesome article and great pictures. ty for posting.
    I like it because it goes to show this stuff isn't easy. Guys complain domestic headers are easy and prices are too much but then you see this and start to understand it isn't the exact same thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In that case, Might have to hold off on headers then, the price and hard work of installation might happen in the winter at the end of the year then. I really want to open this V10 motor up with some headers Click here to enlarge
    It won't be fun but it's far from impossible. If you remove the motor mounts, place a jack under the motor, you should have a few inches more room from above and below. Wobble extensions, 1/4 electric ratchet, and offset 11mm wrenches will be your friend. Don't rush it and you will be fine.

I am also amazed at the TINY sized primaries on that heavy breathing V10. No wonder they respond so well to these headers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks! No not yet I ran into issues with the Autologic system and had to head out to New Orleans for work this week. I'm going to get back on it Monday hopefully.
    Good Luck man. Its getting sold once its fixed right? Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    It won't be fun but it's far from impossible. If you remove the motor mounts, place a jack under the motor, you should have a few inches more room from above and below. Wobble extensions, 1/4 electric ratchet, and offset 11mm wrenches will be your friend. Don't rush it and you will be fine.

I am also amazed at the TINY sized primaries on that heavy breathing V10. No wonder they respond so well to these headers.
    Yea, I think this thing will let the V10 breathe nicely with a good tune. Im doing a good amount of research on the topic now. Click here to enlarge
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'll live vicariously through you guys while I slap on a set of modded OEM headers from Jeup. I'm curious how quiet I can be on decatted headers with stock exhaust. Then cut-outs on the M button for hooligan mode Click here to enlarge

Glad you're back up and running TZ. I wish we could change your mind, but who could blame you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by siado Click here to enlarge
    while I slap on a set of modded OEM headers from Jeup.
    Who is Jeup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After seeing a forum member go 11.5 @122mph a few days in Chicago with these headers on his E60! im def sold!
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After seeing a forum member go 11.5 @122mph a few days in Chicago with these headers on his E60! im def sold!
    Slip? That's a record NA ET I think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Slip? That's a record NA ET I think.
    Yea his mods and slip is on M5board, I told him to post it here. His username is Ken L. He said he was waiting to become a member here and post, if not ill post the info and slip tonight.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Who is Jeup?
    Member on M5board, Jeuprx-8. Parts out E60s and has tons of everything for sale on eBay.

Rather than guy the OEM cats, he had them cut out and a 4" stainless pipe welded back in place. Huge improvement over stock, similar in theory to Evolve's RS headers, but nowhere near these bad boys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by siado Click here to enlarge
    Member on M5board, Jeuprx-8. Parts out E60s and has tons of everything for sale on eBay.

Rather than guy the OEM cats, he had them cut out and a 4" stainless pipe welded back in place. Huge improvement over stock, similar in theory to Evolve's RS headers, but nowhere near these bad boys.
    I think I just caught on that this is you Jim.. Welcome to BB!
    Last edited by TZ04XJR; 06-13-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea his mods and slip is on M5board, I told him to post it here. His username is Ken L. He said he was waiting to become a member here and post, if not ill post the info and slip tonight.
    I approved all accounts. Please post his slip and mods maybe in a new thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I approved all accounts. Please post his slip and mods maybe in a new thread.
    I didn't want to step on his toes for posting his info. I got in contact with him and he said he will be posting Saturday on here. If he cant ill make a thread. Just don't want to step on toes.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't want to step on his toes for posting his info. I got in contact with him and he said he will be posting Saturday on here. If he cant ill make a thread. Just don't want to step on toes.
    Absolutely understandable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Absolutely understandable.
    He posted it up in the M5 section.. Maybe re post in the S85 or racing section aswell.

http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...aturday-6-8-13
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure I posted this before on BB but here is some comparison pictures between our headers and the stock ones. Ken L is running our headers and tune.

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/arti...63-m6-s85-v10/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast